XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR6 wont start - Resolved

Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts
Default XJR6 wont start - Resolved

Well after reading the post (car wont start) and reading a few of the other member's inputs and thinking I am pretty lucky I don't have this problem guess what I do have this problem cursed for reading the other post (LOL)

After crashing into the gatepost in late October I decided to leave my car till December to get the repairs done only to find my panel beater is not around till February guess what its February
and I am ready to take the XJR over to get some panel beating and bumpers redone and some other stuff

I pull the cover off hop in insert the key nothing oh the battery must be flat
I had not locked the car not wanting the alarm to drain the battery and the battery was dead or so I thought
Had the battery on charge for a week reinstalled the battery no go the lights come on everything works still no cranking actually nothing not even a click the gauges don't fluctuate lights don't dim nothing
I then think the battery is dead so I ring the battery supplier and yes I am still under warranty so I take the battery down he checks it out its perfect so now I know its not the battery
I then do as Doug says foot on brake turn ignition on move the shifter still nothing

I plug my scanner in no fault codes I do notice when I plug the scanner in it tells me there are 2 ECU,s one is called ECU 51 supported pid,s 26 the other is ECU 18 supported pid,s 5
I
figure one is for the transmission the other the engine neither is showing any fault codes
now I am lost any ideas before I get it trucked to the mechanic never had anything like this happen before
She has stood parked for 5 months before and started straight away after a battery top up charge

any ideas as I am at a loss

Last edited by steveinfrance; 02-05-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

here are few areas I'd look at ...

are all fuses ok? For instance starter solenoid fuse, ecu fuses, shift lock fuse, etc? when you press on the brake pedal, do you hear a little click by the shifter?

possibly a bad starter or starter solenoid? is there any voltage going to the starter solenoid and to the starter assembly when you crank the key?

the factory immobilizer could have been triggered. I believe the procedure to reset the immobilizer is to lock/unlock the doors with the key.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 AM
doc

I can hear the transmission selector solenoid being activated I.E. clicking hadn't tried the door unlocking one yet that didn't work Ill have my indie come out sometime during the week with his multimeter check the solenoid on the starter motor
I would have thought that it would make some sound its quiet when I turn the ignition only the transmission solenoid clicking when I put my foot on the brake and the fans and fuel pump starting up thanks for the tips
I shouldn't have read the other post about not starting I cursed my car (LOL)

Last edited by doc; 02-03-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I don't know this Jaguar model but a common problem is a bad earth connection from the starter to ground.
Normally, though, in that case you'd hear the starter relay click or buzz.
Do all the ignition lights come on ?
If they do and there's no click at all then you need to check voltages around the starter relay.
The other possibility is the immobiliser - I'm sure someone can help with that.
You really do need a voltmeter for this one - it's worth buying one with a 20A range as well as volts and ohms.
More use than a code reader in many ways.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 AM
doc

Got all lights services no click from starter eerily quiet had me thinking immobiliser after all its 19 years old and the immobiliser is the cheapest thing on a modern car Had problems with other cars before but they where always aftermarket
alarm /immobilisers items
I would usually remove them and all the wiring installed with them usually find the answer to another problem this way

Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

If all the dash lights stay on it does sound like an immobiliser.
I'm afraid I can't help with this - I don't know how it works in your car but there should be plenty of folk who do.
On XK's there's a thing called an exciter ring which interrogates the key and these fail giving the symptoms you describe.
Good luck.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM
doc

Thanks Steve
I have the gut feeling its the immobiliser my one has a key on it so I am going to try turn it off and see what that does

Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Have iyou ever thought because your car sat for so long your starter just may be stuck/frozen and unable to engage. I had this happen to me before, the test is just to hit the side of the starter a few times with a rubber mallet or a hammer and then give her a go and see if she starts.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
doc

Well after totally checking the car out from top to bottom we diagnosed the immobiliser as my Indie started it with a screw diver so organised a mobile auto electrician to come out today waited till 2 30 in the afternoon
I spoke to the immobiliser manufacturer he said it was repairable sent me a diagram to remove it and make it run with out the immobiliser I also searched this forum and found a page on resetting the immobiliser which I tried last night nothing

Here,s the painful bit 2.30 this afternoon the electrician turns up we have a quick chat I walk inside come back out the car is running he tried the key ten times it runs
Totally baffled by this one at least it only cost me 40 dollars for the electrician to come out still don't know what it was and why just happy it works funny thing its been parked up before for 5 months started first kick
I think the battery being flat had something to do with it anyway Ill be leaving it on the trickle charger from now on

Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Odd one that, glad it was fixed.
Not much on a Jaguar gets sorted for $40 !

Old 02-06-2013, 05:48 AM
doc

the saga continues
After the auto electrician started the car 10 times yesterday I felt pretty stupid and smart at the same time only cost me a $40 call out fee
Today I just feel stupid my Indie comes over to pick up the jack and stands we talk about the car I show him that it starts it does not start
Now I am ready to burn it!
While sitting in the car I move the shifter back and forth selecting all the gears as I am moving it with the key in the crank position it catches a few times then starts looks like my neutral safety switch is playing up
Funny thing I tried that the other day nothing plus 3 different guys including my Indie tried the same technique no go
I think the battery in the alarm immobiliser was flat or something after a couple of days it might have charged well at least that's what I hope it was anyway going to replace the neutral safety switch just to make sure
All this because I let her sit unloved for a couple of months

From now on when people ask me about Jaguar ownership I am going to tell them its like having a second wife LOL

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,740 Likes on 7,096 Posts

Originally Posted by doc
While sitting in the car I move the shifter back and forth selecting all the gears as I am moving it with the key in the crank position it catches a few times then starts looks like my neutral safety switch is playing up

Telltale sign: does the "P" on the shift indicator glow red? If not, the starter won't operate

anyway going to replace the neutral safety switch just to make sure

Silly expensive as I recall. It's not just a simple switch. It's a combination switch...."linear switch" in the catalog. Black, rectangular, about the size of a pack of smokes, RH side of shif assembly.

If your "P" isn't glowing red loosen the switch and slide it back-n-forth a bit and see if you get the red glow. Only takes a minute to find the sweet spot of the adjustment. The mounting screws are a bit fussy to access but the adjustment itself is intuitive.

All this because I let her sit unloved for a couple of months

That'll teach ya ! :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
doc

Thanks Doug wasn't sure where it was located funny thing my wife's Jeep has a fly by wire shifter and last week I got the code shifter connection lost
Jeep reckon the shifter is non serviceable had my indie mate pull it apart and use this special spray contact lubricant cleaner I originally bought for my old XJ40
I was having so many problems with the Jeep fixed the shifter on the Jeep now its the same thing with the jag what did I do

I am cursed as I said to someone today if something can break or play up its going to happen to me been like this my whole life Murphy must love me
My dad always said I should be in product testing if you want it tested to see if when and where and how it will break give it to me
Doesn't matter what it is
Just bought two new samsung galaxy note 2 phones one for the wife one for me guess what hers is perfect mine has never been right from the day I unpacked it
(Bloody Murphy pick on someone else for a change LOL)

Last edited by doc; 02-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.