XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 Jag XJ8 Throttle Body leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 Jag XJ8 Throttle Body leak

Check engine light came on and car was struggling to start at times, and stalled out occasionally after it did start. Brought it to my mechanic who determined I had an emissions issue. He did a smoke test on the evap emissions system and there was a vacuum leak at the valve cover (1K including a needed fuel filter replacement) not too bad....but also found substantial leaks at the throttle body (3K..yikes!). I do see some rebuilt throttle bodies for $300 - $350. Is it feasible that I could buy this rebuilt part and get away for a bill much, much less than 3? Sounds good to me! Would appreciate feedback if anyone has advice. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

It sounds like your mechanic wants to replace your throttle body because of a vacuum leak, and his prices seem excessive.

A couple of years ago a took a trip to NC and asked for suggestions on repair services if I was in need. One of the members suggested Flying Circus English Cars in Durham. I know nothing about them myself, but you might try for a second opinion there.

Maybe some of the members in your area can suggest other possibilities.

The following users liked this post:
mariasm (10-26-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:50 PM

Thanks, RJ. I hadn't heard of Flying Circus before but their website looks interesting. I will try a second opinion and appreciate the lead.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Get a 2nd opinion.

I've swapped 2 throttle bodies, rebuilt part was about $1k, maybe less, labor is a relatively easy job. If your handy, pull yours out and inspect for cracks. Honestly, it's difficult to imagine how the throttle body would leak from its vacuum connection since it's a solid metal part and vacuum is a relatively low wear system (as opposed to the air intake and butterfly valve that are subject to more foreign bodies and wear)

mariasm (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Default 2nd opinion sounds like the way to go

I will bring it into flying circus in Durham for a 2nd opinion. Sadly the only thing I'm handy at with this car is paying the bills! 😨thanks for the info.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:44 PM

Posting resolution here for history: Flying Circus in Durham, NC didn't return my call for a second opinion so I went with First Class Auto in Raleigh. The car was starting, but coughing and spitting before engaging, then eventually would not start at all. Car was towed, turned out to be a failed fuel pump and pump relay. Check engine light turned out to be broken engine valve cover and PCV line. No indication of throttle body as previously thought. All check engine lights are off and car is running the best it has in a long time. Out the door: $2700.

RJ237 (11-06-2016)