XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Adding cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Adding cruise control

Does anyone have any information/advice on fitting Cruise Control? I recently got a 'new' steering wheel that had the switches attached for the Cruise Control, the thought occurred to me, what is involved fitting it as my 1998 3.2 doesn't have it as standard, and with a kn******d right leg (part of my disability) it would be especially welcomed on long trips? My usual source for parts tells me they 'think' it means (besides the buttons on the steering wheel) I will need:
  • A different braking switch (I guess to cancel the CC when pressed)
  • A reprogram of the ECU? (Not sure yet who could do that?)
As far as they were aware, there is nothing else, wiring etc. should already be there?

ALSO: Can anyone tell where I will find the Hand/Em-Brake Switch, where the wires attach? I want to connect the lead to the system I fitted so broadcasts go off when the car is travelling, then I don't break any laws here! The Em-Brake wire color would be most useful, I haven't checked the electrical guide yet?

As always I would appreciate any help, I'm delving into stuff I never imagined doing before the last few days .
Paul

Old 11-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

From another X308 group member whom has done this.

Its easy to retrofit, replace steering wheel, replace brake light switch, fit cruise on/off switch and gear selector console switch surround trim. Easiest source is from a car being used for parts.

The following users liked this post:
euphonium01 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Not wanting to spoil the beans here, as I have never done this, but is an 1998 3.2L not an AJ26 engine?
I think the AJ26 Cruise Control is vacuum operated (mine is), where the later AJ27 Cruise Control went through the ECU.
Sure others can shed a light on this.

I also miss the gear selector CC on/off switch in your shopping list.
You can change the whole surround, or you can get the plastic 2-button cover with the CC switch.
I rattle canned mine in Ivory, just in case you can only source a oatmeal or the likes.

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-23-2018 at 05:46 PM.
euphonium01 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

I believe Eric is right. There`s the 2 vac acctuators in the engine bay. I may have everything you need.

Rob

Old 11-24-2018, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Yes, early cars require the vacuum parts whereas later cars are a case of plug in and play once you have the switches fitted.

euphonium01 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Hi, and thanks to all for your replies, it seems the information I received was wrong, i'm certain your advice on here is much more accurate. I am also certain I can get the parts fairly easy, thanks to Robert Laughton for your offer but I'm quite a few miles away in the UK.

Can anyone give me a 'beginner's guide' as to how the early system works, where the vacuum units fit, and connections etc. so I will know what to do? Better still if there's a Thread I can be pointed to about what's involved doing it, I couldn't find one. Eric, you were right about the switch near the 'J' gate, sorry I missed it off the list.. I already have this, and the wiring for it is already present at the rear of the gate.

The only reason I am asking, is that I haven't researched it and know very little about either of the 2 types used, I had not intended doing this mod. But as an assist to my disablement, for the relatively small amount of work involved, it seems a sensible idea? I feel confident enough after the issues I've tackled so far, unless someone comes back with a list that means taking the engine out (again) or stripping the car down to the bare bones just to get at the bits I need! I can't find anything in the manual either?
Paul

Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Its basically plug and play to install once you have all the bits.

-Steering wheel controls
-On/off switch in the center console, including gear lever surround. Early cars had a plastic surround with one or two holes for the buttons. Later cars had a fake leather surround with a separate piece insert for mounting the buttons. Either way you need one for mounting both switches.
-Brake light switch (as you guessed it has two micro switches inside the unit).
-Valve body and vacuum lines. Sits under the bonnet beside the brake master cylinder. One vacuum line runs to the actuator on the throttle body, the other runs to the air reservoir unit.
-Air reservoir unit, mounted beside the windscreen washer bottle filler. Its two plastic tanks mounted to the car with a metal bracket.

I think that is it, been a long time since i installed mine so the details are a little fuzzy.

euphonium01 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by euphonium01
....unless someone comes back with a list that means taking the engine out (again) or stripping the car down to the bare bones just to get at the bits I need!
I think I can throw you some pics of the components if needed, although there might be some differences in routing between a LHD and RHD car.
I don't see the installation having too many implications.
The air reservoir unit is a bit tucked away and might loosening up some stuff (maybe), and I remember that I had to re-connect a forgotten vacuum hose to the throttle body, which was a bit of a challenge, but do-able at the end without removing anything.

euphonium01 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
euphonium01 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:04 PM

Thanks so much guys, I'm picking the bits and pieces up tomorrow. It would be good if you have any pics Eric, all help gratefully received, you have my email addy. Had a good few days health-wise so might tackle it Wednesday... weather permitting... I'm hoping it makes a big difference to me when distance travelling If it's the usual UK rain it's back to refurbishing the seats in the garage where it's warmer.
Paul

Old 01-24-2023, 01:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks so much guys, I'm picking the bits and pieces up tomorrow. It would be good if you have any pics Eric, all help gratefully received, you have my email addy. Had a good few days health-wise so might tackle it Wednesday... weather permitting... I'm hoping it makes a big difference to me when distance travelling If it's the usual UK rain it's back to refurbishing the seats in the garage where it's warmer.
Paul
hi,
did you ever get this done?

Old 01-24-2023, 02:44 PM

Hi, yes I got it done, works a treat. Make sure you have a diagram of the Vacuum Pipes setup. If you don't have one message me and I will send one I drew.
Paul

Old 01-24-2023, 02:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, yes I got it done, works a treat. Make sure you have a diagram of the Vacuum Pipes setup. If you don't have one message me and I will send one I drew.
Paul
I might own a ‘97 XJR so I’m not sure if that will complicate the job as I know certain aspects are different with the later years.

When the time comes, I may require this diagram. Thank you.