XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Already posted on new members forum, but

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Already posted on new members forum, but

I had a rebuilt transmission put into a 1998 Vanden Plas. As a preventive measure, I had new timing belts and tensioners installed. This was five weeks ago by an experienced, certified mechanic. Last night, the enging froze up.

Any ideas as to whether or not this may be connected to the new timing belts? The engine has 104,000 miles on it.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

As in overheated and seized? Ran out of oil and seized? Piston hit a valve and seized?

Starter won't spin the engine?

I would welcome you to the forum but you probably do not want to be here. Sorry!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Default You are correct

My son's heart is broken.

No over-heating. No nothing.

My son told me (he is only 18) that he started it last night it it sounded rough like it was not hitting on all cylinders. He turned it off, tried to restart and it would not turn over.

Battery is fine. Oil has no filings.

Tried moving it in gear in case dead spot on starter. That wasn't the issue.

Any ideas?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

By 'would not turn over' do you mean that the starter will not rotate the engine?

If so, do you hear a 'click, or click,click,click,click when the key is turned to start?

If so, I would check the cable connections on the battery. It would be normal to remove the ground cable on the battery when working on the car. It may not be connected tightly enough.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

Also remember, those earlier nikasil lined engines do not like to be started, then turned off shortly after. That sounds like your problem - cylinder wash.

Go here to Gus's web page for more details.

After you get it started, get the car's engine codes read, that'll give you a better idea of why it was running rough in the firstplace. Best case scenario you have a fouled plug/coil pack causing a misfire.

Here's the 'no-start' remedy procedure in this other XJ owner's thread...give that a shot!

Last edited by H20boy; 06-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 PM

The starter will not rotate the engine. Had AAA out. Absolutely nothing wrong with the battery.

As far as "go Texas Tech", I'm an Arizona Wildcat. I thought we were going to be seeing a lot of you guys, but, I guess not.

I certainly hope this cylinder wash is the answer. If so, I owe you a beer or several beers.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM

I'm now confused. It appears as if this "cylinder wash" is if it turns over but does not start. Here, the motor will not turn over.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It sounds like the engine is seized but for what reason? Looking at what information you offered the tentioners and belt/chains were changed? With the additional info that it began running rough leads me to think that one of the chains might have jumped. I would begin looking at the chains, tentioner and oil.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 PM

If a chain jumped, it should be less expensive than rebuilding the engine?

Thanks for the information.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

What you do not know is the extent of the damage. If it is minor yes but you will not know until you begin looking. If the chain or tentioner failed and you recently had it replaced then the mechanic should be the one eating the bill if it was not done properly.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

Yah, I was hoping it was something simple. Are you sure the engine isn't turning over? sometimes with this cylinder wash, it is really quiet since there is no compression.

Keep us informed on the diagnosis.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM

The mechanic gave a 12 month warranty. This is month ONE. Unfortunaely, he is in Phoenix and I'm in Tucson.

Oh well, that will be (hopefully) his problem.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

jim good luck with your scenario! hopefully it is a cheap fix..i live in tempe so im wondering have you found a reasonable jag mechanic? i am getting raped in tempe! thanks in advance

Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm real happy with British auto repair in Scottsdale you might try them

Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Lets get the nomenclature correct - you say the engine has seized, but the only evidence you have is that the starter now does not appear to turn the engine over - preceeded by a short stint of rough running when first started, correct?

When attempting to start now, do you hear a loud CLICK coming from the starter? If not, then the primary issue is that the starter is not engaging - either from lack of power supply or it is siezed itself...

If you DO hear a loud click from the starter, but the engine is not turning over, there are several possibilities; a seized engine being only one of these.

Cylinder wash is only a possible issue if the starter DOES turn the engine over, but the engine won't seem to fire and run on its own.

More information in greater detail is necessary for us to help you discern the cause your issues.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-20-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM

I'll try to find out what happened and report back.

The mechanic do changed out the timing belts was:

Ken Bohl's Auto Service
602-381-8233
5209 E. Thomas Road
Phoenix AZ 85018

Getting the sequence of events from a teenager is difficult. However, this is what I believe happened.

1. My son tries to start the engine. He hears like mini-explosions from the engine, it runs very rough and he turns it off.
2. He tries to restart it and it will not start. Based upon his description, it sounds like the battery is fine but just will not turn over.
3. I try it the next day. It sound like metal hits immediately and nothing happens. We call AAA. They check the battery and find it is OK. Try to start it again while the AAA guy watches. He says he works on race cars and he sees the flywheel move slightly and then bounce back. He believes the engine has seized up.

I have messages to Bohl's automotive. We will see what happens.

Thank all that have responded. I truly appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimlsanders
I'll try to find out what happened and report back.

The mechanic do changed out the timing belts was:

Ken Bohl's Auto Service
602-381-8233
5209 E. Thomas Road
Phoenix AZ 85018

Getting the sequence of events from a teenager is difficult. However, this is what I believe happened.

1. My son tries to start the engine. He hears like mini-explosions from the engine, it runs very rough and he turns it off.
2. He tries to restart it and it will not start. Based upon his description, it sounds like the battery is fine but just will not turn over.
3. I try it the next day. It sound like metal hits immediately and nothing happens. We call AAA. They check the battery and find it is OK. Try to start it again while the AAA guy watches. He says he works on race cars and he sees the flywheel move slightly and then bounce back. He believes the engine has seized up.

I have messages to Bohl's automotive. We will see what happens.

Thank all that have responded. I truly appreciate the feedback.
Please let us know what problems are found.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

From your last description "flywheel moves and bounces back" sounds like it could be a cam chain issue. You have an 'interference' engine meaning that the pistons and valves can attempt to occupy the same space at the same time with very negative results.

With the recent tensioner/chain work you should pull the valve covers and see what is going on. Chain could have skipped one or more teeth, broken or the exhaust sprocket may have slipped on the cam. The sprocket moving on the cam was my greatest fear when I did my tensioners.

Assuming that 'bounce back' comment is correct you should not try to start the engine again.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the additional detail - yes, it does sound as if the engine is experiencing some interference issues - not seized in the classical definition, but is being prevented from turning past a certain point.

If the timing chains were recently replaced and you are only one month into the warranty, I'd suggest that a return to Phoenix is in order... sorry.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks everyone.

Mr. Bohl called me yesterday and said he would pick up the car and return it to Phoenix and check to see what happened.

Once I know for sure, I'll let everyone know for their own complete knowledge.

Quick Reply: Already posted on new members forum, but