XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Antifreeze/Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze/Coolant

What Antifreeze/Coolant would be recommended for my 2002 Jaguar XJ8 also it didn't come with a manual where would I add it at if anyone can explain or has a picture im not the most knowledgeable with cars and no one in my family cares to help me out sorry if asking to much of you all

Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

You can download it from the sticky : handbook download , at the start of the forum page.

The following users liked this post:
Johngreenhands (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks having trouble with the Topix login registered etc now saying that user isnt real some reason not sure il keep trying

Old 05-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Jaguar recommend Dex-Cool. There are some coolants now with superior properties to Dex-cool.

Coolants fall into 4 categories :

1) Dex-Cool : Great corrosion protection for 5 years but had some problems if exposed to oxygen, and damaged some plastics. Corrosion protection based on an organic acid. Although it was originally recommended by Jaguar, better things are available now, specifically (2) and (3) below :

2) "All makes, all models" extended life coolants. These are an organic acid technology coolant but a different acid to the one in Dex-Cool, with better properties. They claim to be mixable with all other coolants. 5 year life.

3) Hybrid coolants : contain an organic acid and a bit of silicate. Example - Xerex G-05. I've used this in older cars like the XJS that were built for (4) below. 5 year life.

4) The old green stuff. No reason at all to be using this any more in any vehicle. 2 year life only.

For my XJR I use (2), made by Prestone, because you can buy it anywhere.

Finally to complicate things, Valvoline make a version of (2) but with an additive that they claim makes it more compatible with (4). They call it Max Life.

Confused yet?

Last edited by Mark SF; 05-08-2015 at 01:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark SF:
Jhartz (05-10-2015), Johngreenhands (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Well, to be clear, there is nothing really "wrong" with the "green stuff" if one maintains their coolant. It works and there's no risk of gumming up the guts of the cooling system, esp heating core, if mixed with new OA coolants or vice versa.

I don't think I want coolant sitting around for over 2 years unmaintained regardless.

But it really depends on what is in the car now and what was specified by the manufacturer.

I'd stick with what came in the car from either old school "green stuff" like in my X300 or an orange OA (or equiv) if that's what Jaguar switched to by the time the X308 came out... which as I recall, they did.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
... an orange OA (or equiv) if that's what Jaguar switched to by the time the X308 came out... which as I recall, they did.

No ... Jaguar switched midstream in that series, so one has to
be very careful unless familiar with coolants and doing a very
thorough flush.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 PM

from what it looked like when I took a gander the owner before me mixed green and orange coolants in there so imma need to flush it tomorrow not sure if its just the tint in the tank its held or what but im think i should do it just to be safe and since i just got it to flush most things got prestone 50/50 dexcool from what i seen alot of ppl are useing this so from what i can tell that will be fine in my 2002 XJ8 correct?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I'm currently using some 'one for all stuff. It was fine and is fine. One short flush with clear water

Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Johngreenhands
from what it looked like when I took a gander the owner before me mixed green and orange coolants in there so imma need to flush it tomorrow not sure if its just the tint in the tank its held or what but im think i should do it just to be safe and since i just got it to flush most things got prestone 50/50 dexcool from what i seen alot of ppl are useing this so from what i can tell that will be fine in my 2002 XJ8 correct?
One suggestion. Punctuation!

Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
No ... Jaguar switched midstream in that series, so one has to
be very careful unless familiar with coolants and doing a very
thorough flush.
You dont have to be careful, familiar with coolants, or do a thorough flush, if you add the universal stuff. Thats what universal means. It says on the bottle : compatible with all makes and colours of antifreeze.

Last edited by Mark SF; 05-09-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Universal anything is often a compromise, and I'm not personally sold on the long term viability of universal yet.

In my opinion, stick with what yours was "born" with to avoid any complications, unless you make a concerted and informed effort to flush it completely and then replace, and monitor for any sludge/gel.

As an example of non-universality (is that a word? ) I understand that the universal antifreeze is not recommended for the Pentosin antifreeze used in some Porsche/Audi vehicles as it will gel.

Also be certain that the antifreeze chosen will not cause issues with any of the engine materials such as gaskets. Modern antifreeze formulations should be OK, but the old Dexcool caused some issues with GM gaskets as an example.

So just do your research and plan accordingly. Any of the modern antifreeze formulations are likely to work just fine, but don't mix blindly.

eksjaysix (06-18-2022)
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Pentosin is a brand. They make all types of coolant.

And how do you know what it was "born" with? Colour is a really poor guide to type of coolant. You can buy OAT coolant in every colour of the rainbow. Sure, I agree, the best thing to do is flush it and put in a known, quality coolant (and label the expansion tank). But if you bought the car recently and need to top it off with something to get you home, the safest choice is a universal one.

Last edited by Mark SF; 05-09-2015 at 10:31 AM.
al_roethlisberger (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Pentosin is a brand. They make all types of coolant.

And how do you know what it was "born" with? Colour is a really poor guide to type of coolant. You can buy OAT coolant in every colour of the rainbow. Sure, I agree, the best thing to do is flush it and put in a known, quality coolant (and label the expansion tank). But if you bought the car recently and need to top it off with something to get you home, the safest choice is a universal one.
Right, Pentosin is a brand, referring to their G12 coolant that is compatible with the factory Porsche/Audi/VW "lifetime" coolant as I recall is not compatible with "universal" coolants. Again just an example of why to take care.

All true and good points, especially about labeling the tank for all of us with fading memories and anyone that comes after

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=816

....but no shortage of coolant debates

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-10-2015 at 01:03 AM.
andrew lowe (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark SF
You dont have to be careful, familiar with coolants, or do a thorough flush, if you add the universal stuff. Thats what universal means. It says on the bottle : compatible with all makes and colours of antifreeze.
Care is necessary if an owner wants to determine and use what was originally
installed in a X308.

There is no recommendation to use any kind of "universal" coolant issued by Jaguar,
and I strongly doubt that any so-called "universal" coolant is truly universal.

Prestone in particular is off my list as well as Peak because both are rather coy
about their formulations.

In this area, I can pretty much buy any coolant of preference. Therefore there
is no need to fallback on a so-called universal coolant.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

When faced with a need to top-up, plain water is always safe.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

The 1993 XJS Owners Manual calls for Jaguar coolant. If not found use phosphate-free British Standard 6580. For what its worth, I found:

Zerex G-05™ Antifreeze / Coolant

Provides long life protection for new Ford and DaimlerChrysler vehicles
  • Protection for up to 5 years / 150,000 miles
  • Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.
  • Utilizes hybrid organic acid technology to minimize inhibitor depletion
  • Low-silicate, low-pH and phosphate-free formula
  • Provides protection against liner pitting and corrosion
  • Helps prevent rust and corrosion
  • Helps prevent hot weather boil-overs and cold weather freeze-ups
  • Protects all cooling system metals, including aluminum
I haven't a clue what British Standard 6580 is and doubt if there is a USA compliant coolant using that formula.

Passed for information only; not a recommendation to use.

Last edited by afterburner1; 06-22-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner1
The 1993 XJS Owners Manual calls for Jaguar coolant.
The OP has a 2002 XJ8. Not much in common.

afterburner1 (06-26-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Watched Wayne Carini telling his employee to use an "strip" to see if the antifreeze should be changed in one of his classic cars. I never considered the ph factor in the test of antifreeze. Found this bit on Mercedes Benz Forum that I found quite helpful:

"...The following summarizes George Murphy's (technical writer for Star Magazine) email reply to me regarding the importance of using Meredes Benz (MB) coolant.
PH is the critical factor of coolant in MB engines 1981 or newer. The pH should measure between 7.0 and 8.0, and can be checked using a swimming pool pH test strip. High pH erodes aluminum parts - head, block, etc. and causes embrittlement of plastic cooling system parts - radiator, thermostat housing, climate control parts, etc. That's why radiator necks and thermostat housing necks break off so easily after a few years' operation with ordinary coolant. The pH of MB coolant in the bottle is 5.5; when mixed 50/50 with water it becomes around 7.0 which is neutral. Whereas Prestone Long Life Coolant is 7.5 in the bottle and Parts Master Brand from Advance Auto Parts is 10.0 in the bottle. When in doubt about your engine's coolant measure the pH. It should be between 7.0 and 8.0...."

For myself and perhaps not for you, I would change antifreeze when it is outside the ph of 7.0-8.0

Last edited by afterburner1; 06-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by afterburner1:
al_roethlisberger (06-25-2015), andrew lowe (06-23-2015), Jhartz (06-23-2015), SteveSheldon (06-24-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

Distilled water with royal purple ice? No threat of freezing in Florida and that combo is shown to be cooler temps

Old 06-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by princemarko
Distilled water with royal purple ice? No threat of freezing in Florida and that combo is shown to be cooler temps
The magic ingredients in that and similar products are also present in all standard coolants. More is not better.

A very large drawback of this combo is the low boiling point, the same as straight water. Bad idea in a hot climate.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze/Coolant