XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr

We are introducing our prototype long tube headers for the 98-03 jaguar xj/xjr platform. Very sturdy construction and hand made here in house. These headers will flow much more air then the stock manifolds which will render some very nice horsepower and torque gains dyno results are pending. This is a tight fit but we made it work, the headers are unequal length primaries that have double walled ends to prevent leakage which is a very innovative idea that came from our design team that flows into a scavenging 4 to 1 collector. This product as stated before is pending dyno results and we will have that information up very soon! We will also announce a group buy on this product once we have final dyno testing results, so if anyone is interested and have any questions please feel free to ask. All purged and hand Tig welded stainless steel construction.
Headers feature:
- 8 T-304 stainless steel 1.75” 16 gauge Primary Tubes
- 2 1.75” to 3” Collectors with velocity spike w/o2 sensor bungs
- V band clamp to mid section
- T-321 stainless steel ½” thick flanges
- New gaskets and hardware will be supplied
- Some modification to O2 sensors required, all instructions and material included

We hope to have more models very soon, as we would need test fit cars and if anyone is in the Atlanta area that is interested in this please contact us so we could work out details.

Here is a link for facebook with info on photos. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4740016&type=1

Attached Thumbnails B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9445.jpg   B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9457.jpg   B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9460.jpg   B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9461.jpg   B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9462.jpg  

B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9470.jpg   B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-img_9472.jpg  

Last edited by B.I.P.; 05-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (05-13-2013)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

looks very nice I gave up the idea of the equal length as you probably found out as well almost impossible due to tight quarters. I am working on a bigger manny but will be very interested to see dyno results on these please post up quickly. I have be interested in going this route instead. Also a guesstimate on price of the group buy and how long of a wait time once order is placed tht would be great. Good job

Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the dyno results.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Is that a mock-up or final product? Are you guys going to go with a mandrel bent process, or welding each section like that. I would think the mandrel bent would flow even better. Still, those look nice. What kind of adjustments are required to the O2 sensors?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
looks very nice I gave up the idea of the equal length as you probably found out as well almost impossible due to tight quarters. I am working on a bigger manny but will be very interested to see dyno results on these please post up quickly. I have be interested in going this route instead. Also a guesstimate on price of the group buy and how long of a wait time once order is placed tht would be great. Good job
Yes the equal length is almost impossible as you stated. We are hoping to have some results within a few weeks, we have a few track events that we have to attend to so we are getting ready for that. Estimate on price will be around $3500 give or take a bit but dont qoute me on that number.

Originally Posted by JKo
Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the dyno results.
Hope to have results in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by mechelement
Is that a mock-up or final product? Are you guys going to go with a mandrel bent process, or welding each section like that. I would think the mandrel bent would flow even better. Still, those look nice. What kind of adjustments are required to the O2 sensors?
The is a prototype in the photos, it will be hand made with madrel bend piping and much less welds on what you see there. Since the cats will be further down stream the rear o2 sensors will need to be extended.

Thanks very much guys for the interest we hope to have something going soon here. We will also be offering tuning solutions in the near future.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice, but I'd like to see dyno results of these vs bigger downpipes with cats moved back a bit or both cat-less. $3500 is a pretty big ticket

Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

FYI: Paramount Performance offered also hand made 4-1 headers. I am not sure if the company is still up since some financial problems earlier this year: Paramount Performance Ltd - Jaguar XJ8 and XJR Exhaust Systems

Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adam699
Very nice, but I'd like to see dyno results of these vs bigger downpipes with cats moved back a bit or both cat-less. $3500 is a pretty big ticket
As I said dont qoute me on this. Its just a number at this moment but I am sure it will be worth it.

Originally Posted by XJR-99
FYI: Paramount Performance offered also hand made 4-1 headers. I am not sure if the company is still up since some financial problems earlier this year: Paramount Performance Ltd - Jaguar XJ8 and XJR Exhaust Systems
Yup we knew that, but thanks for the info......

Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I think if you look into it Paramount never actually produced those headers.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 AM

I'm trying to fathom $3,000+ headers as being "worth it."

Not trying to be offensive here, but why and/or how can they cost that much? Even the baddest long shots with your choice of ceramic coatings or mirror chrome finish for V8s are around $1,500.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm trying to fathom $3,000+ headers as being "worth it."

Not trying to be offensive here, but why and/or how can they cost that much? Even the baddest long shots with your choice of ceramic coatings or mirror chrome finish for V8s are around $1,500.
Maybe it includes installation?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM

I can respect the r&D tht go into these but being that the parts alone are roughly a few hundred bucks at most (I know cus i tried to build some equal length and if you guys paid more you got seriously raped) I dont see where the high price is unless it has new cats, O2 extenders, gaskets, and install. Stainless steel even the double walled is not very expensive anymore there was a time but you can get quality parts for a decent price now a days. Nice thing about companies competeing an internet to stay competitive pruices have to drop I mean I have 2 sets of my enlarged mannys tht will bolt into place and provide 26 to 35% more flow over stock is what we are figuring. Ill know more just need to find the time to get them installed and dyno tested, and they are only costing me couple hundred for parts, and a few to get them built and and their stainless n polished.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-99

The Paramount so-called headers are a joke. They are not 4-1, and maybe slightly better than the stock manifolds.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Are those your headers???? have you tried them what r your thoughts??

Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

They stopped this development as the exhaust manifold would crack. cyl 7 and 8 which fire after another where you could get some gains is also not solved in this setup.

Attached pictures are from another try from a company in the UK, these are about $2600 (excluding fitting, cats and exhaust modification). These look already better, although 7 and 8 are still too close together, so not worth it imho.

The ones from bip do look the best, but if installation costs have to be added, custom cats, and exhaust modifications, you are looking towards $4000-$5000. I doubt you get massive gains (or even moderate ones) which would be assumed with these prices, but let’s wait and see.

Attached Thumbnails B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-questormanifold1.jpg   B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr-questormanifold2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
B.I.P. (05-30-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 AM

When you keep referring to 7 and 8 being too close together and causing a crack, are you referring to the tube cracking or cracking at the flange?

If they're getting too hot, you can have them ceramic coated or wrapped with a woven ceramic or copper wrap. The wraps work very well. I had to buy block hugger shorties for my Ramjet 350 I installed in my Jeep because longshots wouldn't fit. (The Paramount set looks like a set of shorties.) Anyway, the headers ran HOT (and cooled FAST) and I was concerned about issues with my wires. I wrapped the headers and noticed a drastic improvement.

After dealing with headers on different vehicles, I would never recommend buying a set and installing them without properly wrapping them or sending them out for a true ceramic coating. Some companies offer a ceramic coating on their headers as an option before purchase. If you think about it, it's almost intuitive. You're going from a cast manifold which dissipates heat over a slower duration to a thin walled tubing header which dissipates heat drastically faster than a cast part. It's like heating a steel rod in a forge, then dipping it in cold water vs setting it in ashes to cool. What happens?

Lots of guys have used Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings with great results.

So with the 7/8 cracking claims, did anyone wrap their headers or have them coated to see if that successfully mitigated the risk? Or were they simply installed and the results are as such?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

When you keep referring to 7 and 8 being too close together and causing a crack, are you referring to the tube cracking or cracking at the flange?
No, don't know where the PP one cracked actually; it is purely for performance reasons that it’s better to have them separated, ideally probably a true 4-2-1, or next the 4-1 as bip has done.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by avos
No, don't know where the PP one cracked actually; it is purely for performance reasons that it’s better to have them separated, ideally probably a true 4-2-1, or next the 4-1 as bip has done.
Do you know for sure it cracked? Were they wrapped or ceramic coated, or bare?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Are those your headers???? have you tried them what r your thoughts??
Not mine. Those are the ones made for Paramount.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM

The wraps work very well.
Actually, wrapping headers/exhaust is a bad idea because it makes the metal brittle and causes cracks.

Ceramic coating is the way to go.

Quick Reply: B.I.P. Header feeler for xj/xjr