XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I input a Sirius radio and bluetooth audio from my LG Dare phone - both are (when the individual Sirus and Dare volumes are set at maximum) very close in system volume to the dash radio and the CD changer. All are almost too loud when at 20 or so on the head unit.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sarc, I have the volume issue with iPod, mine is a European one and we got volume levels capped by the EU nannies in Brussels, some French politician made a name for himself..... easy way around that is a small line out unit http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...t-miniusb.html
give line out & allows charging, sound is louder and better quality.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Lux

I didn't know there was some legislation limiting your volume, kind of crazy. The line out thingy looks like a perfect solution.

I also saw some really nice little line amps "somewhere" which would work for other non-apple sounds sources but I can't seem to find them now (pesky internet)

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Politicians have run out of necessary laws, so they now concentrate on doing things for us that they 'know' we're too stupid to do for ourselves... it's their job to 'protect' us from ourselves, isn't it? The ARE a lot smarter than us, aren't they? They certainly think so to both.

Oops, shouldn't be talking politics... anybody wanna talk about religion?

Last edited by QuadManiac; 03-29-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quad, we are Europeans, we need these people to look after us, who knows what would happen if we did not have them keeping us on the straight & narrow

Now about this religion thingy..... is XKR owner a valid religion? can I have a special day off work, I would of course observe the day correctly, for sure there must be some archaic rule that says you must cross into Germany (unlimited autobahns) and spend a lot of time trying to get to the naughty side of 150

Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM

I'll join that religion... but being hard for me to cross into Germany, can I just get a 1 day immunity from US highway speed laws? It is in the interest of religious freedom, afterall.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beer accepted anytime! Thanks.

http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf (It was actually hiding in the "Factory Phone" thread)

I'd like to buy Mr Jim Roal, the author of this great document a large beer... Jim, if you're out there.....

Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by SARC

For completeness in this post here's the link to the original document that reported on the CDChanger butchering method.

http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf (It was actually hiding in the "Factory Phone" thread)

I'd like to buy Mr Jim Roal, the author of this great document a large beer... Jim, if you're out there.....
Hey SARC, I had noticed that Jim had signed up this morning and was going to remind you, but it looks like he beat me to it. lol

Seriously guys, are there any more threads that have the information displayed in this one, that you think should be included in the FAQ?

I have a mind to add this thread and the Jaguar Factory Phone thread.

Just drop a PM to myself or any of the Mods.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Default Cheers !

@jroal

It's a pleasure to have you here sir ! You are somewhat of a legend around these posts !

@Translator

It would be great to put into the FAQs. There is this thread we are in now, and this thread....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ighlight=input

..... and this thread....

...... and this thread......

Sum all of those threads together, and thanks to Jim and others, there is all the info needed to connect any music source to the factory stereo, and also all the info to connect any cellphone kit to the factory phone system, for both US spec and ROW cars.

I recently got a new cellphone which had bluetooth streaming capability so I bought one of these.... http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BBMR-02.../dp/B0038MA11U for the ultimate in wireless aux input capability !

Old 08-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
I'll join that religion... but being hard for me to cross into Germany, can I just get a 1 day immunity from US highway speed laws? It is in the interest of religious freedom, afterall.
Hmmm... How about Montana(?)

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Default Bluetooth streaming

Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could help out.

The T605 is actually much cheaper than that bluetooth streaming adapter. The T605 handles bluetooth streaming as well as an aux in jack for connecting anything. I have found the T605 for under $40 on eBay. Motorola just came out with a better one now called the TK30. It has a display and some other nice features but it costs more.

Originally Posted by SARC
@jroal

It's a pleasure to have you here sir ! You are somewhat of a legend around these posts !

I recently got a new cellphone which had bluetooth streaming capability so I bought one of these.... http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BBMR-02.../dp/B0038MA11U for the ultimate in wireless aux input capability !

Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Jim, it's a pleasure to see you here... I too used your treatise on Bluetooth and AUX install and was very pleased with your thorough write up. I am extremely happy with the performance both of the CD butcher AUX and of the T605. I've recommended both to many here on the forum.

BTW, I've purchased two T605's recently on eBay for under $25 each.

Thanks for your work and for your efforts to share it.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-06-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

@jroal

Hi Jim, agreed your comments about the 605 costing less. My problem was I started with the parrot first, before I had a phone that could stream music, so I just kept adding functionality as I went along. I should really go back now and make a single solution but as I have everything working I'm kind of too lazy to do it again! :-)

Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

SARC, this is GREAT stuff !!!

I think I will "butcher" my CD-changer as well as per your (and j.roal's) tutorial.

Two things I would like to do different though...

/1
I would prefer to have the AUX-In directly on the back (or the side) of the CD-changer, using RCA-jacks mounted directly to the CD-changer housing.

Question:
I see that the black ground wire of the AUX-signal is an extra wire (obviously not connected to the chassis where it would get 12V negative ground).
Would it be harmful to have the ground wire short circuited on the housing where it gets 12V negative ground?
The jack connectors are built to have the ground on the chassis.

/2
Rather than cutting the CD-changer's signal lines completely I would prefer to solder a "T" on them.
I'd like to keep the original (sound-) signal cables of the CD-unit connected and working and just "add" the AUX-in port with no switching needed.
(My CD-changer is in perfect working order!)
As I understand all of your observations, just leaving the CD magazine out will do the trick to feed an AUX-signal through the CD-changer to the HU.

Am I wrong here?
Do I really have to cut the wires of the CD-changer?

Any thoughts/input would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

David

Last edited by DavidN; 11-05-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 AM

Okay, after a little research - question #1 is already solved.

I will use insulated RCA-Jacks to keep the (sound input) ground cable from the housing and will be on the safe side.

David

Old 11-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by DavidN
/2
Rather than cutting the CD-changer's signal lines completely I would prefer to solder a "T" on them.
I'd like to keep the original (sound-) signal cables of the CD-unit connected and working and just "add" the AUX-in port with no switching needed.
(My CD-changer is in perfect working order!)
As I understand all of your observations, just leaving the CD magazine out will do the trick to feed an AUX-signal through the CD-changer to the HU.

Am I wrong here?
Do I really have to cut the wires of the CD-changer?

Any thoughts/input would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

David
The simple answer is no, you can not. THe CD changer, whether there is a CD playing or not, has a pair of output amplifiers driving those signal lines. If you just add a T, then the output amplifiers in your AUX device (iPod, Sirius radio, etc.) will be fighting against the CD's amps, and damage to one or the other sets of amps is possible, significant attenuation and distortion of the signal is guaranteed. You must disconnect the CD's amps from the lines if you want to drive them with another source.

If you have read enough of the threads on this subject, you will see that I used a pair of relays to do this - connect the CD output the signal lines for CD operation, and disconnect the CD while connecting the AUX to the same lines for AUX operation. The above explanation is why this is necessary.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 AM

The T605 will also stream though so you can keep the CD changer working too. Rather that T into the line level stereo wires to the CD changer, you put the T605 in series with it. The T605 has line in and out. Connect the line in on the T605 to the line wires from the CD changer. Then connect the line out of the T605 to the head unit side of the CD changer wires. The T605 normally pipes the input to the output so when you are playing CD's the music will stream right through. When you play bluetooth music, the T605 will switch to the bluetooth stream automatically. The easiest and most convenient was to handle this would be to cut into the AI-Net harness near the head unit. You must only cut the stereo line wires though. The others must all stay. The T605 uses RCA jacks for output but a 3.5mm jack for input. So, you can go to Radio $haft and get these bits.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 AM

On a similar topic, I dabble in programming. I created an app for Android phones to help manage the bluetooth streaming. It is an open source project: http://code.google.com/p/a2dpvolume/ but you can download it from Android Market. Just scan the QR label on that website or search Android Market for A2DP Volume.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:17 PM

QuadManiac & Jroal, thanks for your input!

In a recent attempt to plug my ipod into the CD-changer-port at the back of the HU I bought that cable:

After doing a lot of research why the heck it was not working I stumbled on various threads mainly on this board.
After reading all the stuff I finally understand the layout of the Jaguar HU & CD-changer and that "handshake" thing.

So I'm gonna go the "butcher your cd-changer" route.
As I just want to hook up my iPod (no bluetooth or any other aftermarket units) I modified the above pictured cable with RCA jacks.
(I like that the cable has the built in iPod charging function.)

So I plan to route an RCA cable from the cd-changer into the centre box and just hook up the iPod using my cable.

As the changer is still working I thought of installing the RCA cable "parallel" to the existing "AUX-in" of the CD-changer without cutting the original cables so that I can still use the CD-changer when my iPod isn't hooked up.

I thought that when I'm gonna use the iPod it will do, just to take out the CD-changer's magazine.

But if it is - as QuadManiac describes - that there will be a disturbed signal I think of cutting the CD-changer's wires and install some kind of AUX-switch.

Here's a nice one by Soundgate for example...

But a simple manual version will do for me as well.

Thanks!

David

Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 AM

A quick follow-up...

I was able to buy a broken Jaguar CD-Changer off eBay for about 15 $.
I butchered it as perfectly described by jroal and attached an RCA input cable.

I routed a shielded RCA cable from the trunk into the cubby box and hooked on the iPod. Everything works perfect.
Hardest part was to route the cable from under the backseat into the center console. Using a stiff wire I was able to route it under the carpet (in the middle of the car) to under the console.

While listening to the iPod music the radio displays CD - NO MAGAZINE (I left the magazine out of the broken CD-changer).
As my iPod cable has the iPod-connector (not the simple headset plug) the input volume is as loud as the radio.
So no problem when switching from FM to CD/iPod here.

Thank you all for your research and for sharing your findings!

David

Quick Reply: Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?