Boom, big soke, next level

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Boom, big soke, next level

To : 2000blackxkr
Date : 2015-07-02 18:17
Title : 2000 XKR blown up coolant tank
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi BLACKXKR, I am new to this forum. My baby is a 2000 XKR convertible with 59,800 miles on the clock. I was getting an occasional low coolant light (twice), but I checked the coolant and the gauge was below center. I had the trans fluid changed and the engine oil an filter changed. Redline trans fluid and Royal Purple XPR series oil AND THEIR FILTER. The low coolant light came on after some driving home. I was going to check the level again if the light came on when I started it, but it didn't. Instead I got an ABS/TRAC CONTROL/VEHICLE STABILITY MESSAGE. ?? It warmed up and I restarted the car at a signal and it didn't come back on. We drove about 5 miles and stopped at a traffic light. The was a loud bang/pop from under the hood with huge plumes of smoke. I thought it was a hose. I pulled over, the gauge was still below middle temp. I opened the hood and found that the coolant fill tank had blown the seam. I ordered one w/cap/sensor and car is at my shop awaiting the tanks arrival.
My question is it because of the age of the tank, the head gasket, or the bore having cracks?
Can you PLEASE ADVISE ME AS MY WIFE HAS MENTIONED A DIVORCE ATTORNEY!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default header tank

Tell your wife to hold the attorneys for the moment. It is most likely just an old header tank which has come to the end of its useful life. Once the car is on the road again, you will be able to tell if there are more problems. Keep checking the coolant level for a few days.
The temperature gauges in these cars are just glorified idiot lights, as they rise normally to the middle of the dial, then stay there until the temp. gets to boiling, at which stage it is almost too late. Many members have replaced theirs with a product called realgauge.

RealGauge FAQ - TheJagWrangler

Simple install, works well, saved my motor.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Replace the wife, obviously that part is defective. Then as suggested, after any physical repair, the realgauge is nearly a must have for anyone who relies on their gauges for safety and piece of mind.