Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Brake Light Switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/brake-light-switch-102921/)

jimlombardi 09-19-2013 04:49 AM

Brake Light Switch

The part number for brake light switch is LNB6420BB.
Gaudin Jaguar online retail price is $124.75 (discounted price is $101.35) plus shipping cost of $14.95.

Rock Auto Parts online sells this part for $45.89. Part is mfg by Standard Motor Products (part# sls504) plus shipping (??? part was not in stock, so no shipping info right now).

coastaljag98 09-20-2013 10:22 AM

I am needing this part now I think as well.

OldMike 09-20-2013 11:24 AM

I think I paid around $85 plus shipping at Welsh Ent.

coastaljag98 09-20-2013 11:42 AM

Is this the same as brake pedal switch?

jimbov8 09-20-2013 11:44 AM

All part of the same switch. Also controls the cruise disengage and park solenoid.

coastaljag98 09-20-2013 12:12 PM

Thanks. I keep blowing fuses so I guess ima have to get one.

Andrew 09-20-2013 03:51 PM

Could this brake switch be the cause of my mysterious minor problems? Often (but not always) when I press the brake pedal I get the "Check Rear Lights' warning but all the lights work (including side markers) every time I have checked.
Also the cruise control switch light comes on at random times when I have not pressed it.
Cheers,
Andrew

OldMike 09-20-2013 04:51 PM

Check Rear Lights is often caused by a bad bulb, or maybe a loose bulb. I don't know what would case the CC to turn on at random times -- are you saying that the red light on the CC switch by the J-gate turns on or that CC engages without hitting the set button on the steering wheel?

Andrew 09-20-2013 07:43 PM

Hi Mike,
I checked all bulbs and cleaned the sockets. The lights all seem to all work fine. The red light on the CC switch by the J-gate comes on and the switch seems to change position without me pushing it. I think I may take this switch out and clean it, the action seems slightly sticky.

OldMike 09-20-2013 08:11 PM

If the red light on the CC switch on the J-gate goes off by itself, I'd guess the BPP switch is the culprit.

coastaljag98 09-24-2013 06:05 PM

If your check rear lamps is coming in when u hit brakes your security module is bad if your bulbs aren't. Bypass it.

princemarko 09-24-2013 06:10 PM

I actually think i have an extra one... its either a brake light microswitch or the j-gate switch

Sean B 09-25-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 816987)
Hi Mike,
.....switch seems to change position without me pushing it.....

You need to call Ghostbusters!

TonyCanoe 10-08-2013 07:24 AM

Have the same problem described above, all lights work. Warning comes and goes, but only while driving and after hitting the brakes. Also note the cruise control turns off and can't be turned back on when the warning kicks in. Anyone know if the brake light switch for my 2002 XK8 is the same as the Ford T Bird or Lincoln LS? Also, where is the switch located and is it something I can fix? Have a 5 to 1 "Gus Ratio" (If Gus in the XK8 forum says a repair took him 1 hour I plan on 5 hours).

jimlombardi 01-30-2014 04:48 AM

Please advise me on how to install the Brake Light Switch - Read the following and post your replies in this thread.

Looks like there are sets of instructions (TSB and JTIS) on how to install the Brake Light Switch that are similar, but with these exceptions:
TSB says "Ensure stop light switch ratchet is fully released.

JTIS instructions say "Press and hold down the brake pedal" and "Make sure the brake pedal is held clear of the BPP switch ratchet mechanism during installation."

Here are the instructions from the 2 sources
TSB 203-07
9. Position new stop light switch.
10. Ensure stop light switch ratchet is fully released.
11. Install new stop light switch on brake pedal box. (Locating upper fixing)
12. Tighten stop light switch securing nut and bolt to 3 Nm (Illustration 6).

JTIS - 2001 XJ Range
Installation
1. Press and hold down the brake pedal.
2. CAUTION:
Make sure the brake pedal is held clear of the BPP switch ratchet mechanism during installation.
Failure to follow this instruction may result in incorrect adjustment of the BPP switch.
CAUTION:
Make sure the BPP switch is correctly installed to the upper locating point.

Install the BPP switch.
1. Align the BPP switch to the upper locating point.
2. Install the BPP switch.
3. Release the brake pedal.

I am a little confused at this point.

Jim Lombardi

plums 01-30-2014 05:02 AM

The instructions are essentially the same thing said different ways.

The essential part is that the ratchet mechanism be fully released during the install. This is because later when the brake pedal is depressed *after* the install, the ratchet will adjust to the necessary position.

OldMike 01-30-2014 08:12 AM

The only reason I can see for the ratchet to not be fully released is if the brake pedal arm is in the way, thus pushing the brake pedal will clear the switch and allow the ratchet to be released. As plums said, it's the same thing said two ways!

jimlombardi 01-30-2014 10:29 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I am having a problem in trying to find the upper locating point to slide in the top notched slot on the brake light switch as shown in this diagram:

Attachment 70724

Here are photos of the new switch

Attachment 70728

Attachment 70729

Why am I having such a difficult time getting brake light switch installed?

Any tricks to do this? Advice appreciated.

Jim Lombardi

dsnyder586 01-30-2014 11:02 AM

Hey Jim,

I did this on my XK8 recently and used this post for help- https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-37758/

If you look at the bracket and the orientation of the studs to the actual switch it helps. I also started the car so that the brake pedal would go down further.

D

jimlombardi 01-30-2014 12:05 PM

Hi
Your XK8 has a brake switch is lot different than our switch - XJ models switch does not have the 2 studs at the top - only has the slotted notch that slides into the upper fixing point (I do not know where & what that looks like).

But I hope someone can tell me where and what it looks like and how to locate it and slide the slotted notch into it.