XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car's disassembled & no crank ?! RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts
Default Car's disassembled & no crank ?! RESOLVED

Car's in paint & partially disassembled(bumpers off,inner door cards,mirrors,handles etc.) is there something that can trigger the immobilizer in this state ?! Battery's new & topped off weekly on a maintainer & no codes.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-11-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 1,055 Posts

It's possible if the battery wasn't disconnected when it was takes apart. Inertia switch is a good place to start, then fuses, the under hood RHS (from front of car) has the power fuses to starter ECU etc.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had the alarm go off
1st. when I reconnect battery first a clicking sound then off it goes (leaving the key in doesn't help)
2nd.the boot wasn't shut properly about 1/2 hr later off it went
3rd. was to do with the internal motion sensors were activated ( window open and a sheet I had draped over car moved in and out of window)
now while I am restoring my car I leave the battery disconnected.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

The car's on a maintainer so the battery is 100% & connected as everything else works. I'm going to have him disconnect the battery or do a hard reset. This car always gets temperamental when away from home for any length of time lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-11-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Humm sorry can't explain what's going on with your's
regards John

Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Did they push the car into the booth? If so, make sure its properly back in P.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Did they push the car into the booth? If so, make sure its properly back in P.
I sent him instructions to do the hard reset, he said he did it & all the windows rolled down but still no start. I'm not sure he performed it correctly. I guess I'm going to have to go out there myself. I sent him the inertia switch schematics & hopefully that solves it.

Nothing in these cars' goes easy when you think it's cut & dry lol. It's definitely disassembly related as this has never happened minus a drained battery.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-11-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Guy says he hears the fuel pump working & still can't find the inertia switch. I told him passenger/right side foot well a-pillar behind the carpet not sure what else I can tell him. Every time I get excited w/ taking this car to it's apex it defecates right on top of my rainbow lol. Of course I'm out of town right now, I may have to send the mobile guy I use over there. Car's been running flawlessly for mo.'s now, so it's got to be related to paint disassembly.

Frustration level on the rise.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-12-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 PM

This is just a hunch
if the Inertia switch was tripped then I would think it cuts off the fuel by cutting the power to the pump, therefore you would not hear it running.
also if you check for spark and have spark then the switch can't be tripped as I believe it stops engine run by cutting spark, I don't think there is a fuel solenoid that the inertia switch can shut (cut off)
there is something I read about the windows opening when the inertia switch was tripped unless the key was the ll position, the manual will state that!
Have a read or download it from me or the forum
your car is a 2000 xj8 what engine?
I am an electrician that does fault finding and quite adaptable to diagrams
if I know the car type I can look at the wiring diagram for you
Regards John

Old 03-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Update :

Ok there's pressure @ the rail(wasn't measured as of yet), inertia switch reset(wasn't tripped) he has the plugs out letting them air out as the repeated cranking attempts may have flooded it/bore wash ?! I've never experienced bore wash with this car but I sent him the BW protocol anyways. If he can't get it started up tomorrow I'm calling a mobile service, & deducting it from the paint job. I gave him clear instructions to keep it on the tender while there yet he let it set for a week before plugging it in hence the taxed battery struggling start & bore wash/flood scenario.

Going w/ this protocol.

http://www.jagrepair.com/NikasilNoSt...derWashing.htm

Last edited by King Charles; 03-12-2019 at 11:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dutchy (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:17 PM

I currently have bore wash in my car
waiting for new plugs BKR5IEX-11 to arrive
this morning I used a syringe to put 10ml in each cylinder and cranked it over
so fingers crossed the pugs and it should fire
I don't have BW instructions
I will check it out thanks

Old 03-12-2019, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dutchy
I currently have bore wash in my car
waiting for new plugs BKR5IEX-11 to arrive
this morning I used a syringe to put 10ml in each cylinder and cranked it over
so fingers crossed the pugs and it should fire
I don't have BW instructions
I will check it out thanks
Yes those instructions are excellent. It really irks me that the car has been running flawlessly w/ all the work I've had done etc. then having some vanity/non-essential work done causes me mechanical grief, insult to injury if he would have followed my detailed instructions & used the already set-up battery tender that is simply plug & play, none of this would be happening.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Update :

It was indeed bore wash & is now back running using the guide I linked above. One quick question is there anything I need to do to clean up/stabilize the engine after a bout w/ this ?! Had new plugs installed thus far to compensate for the saturated ones, is a oil change recommended I mean the current oil has about 500 miles on it, so it's still fresh. Just not sure what all gets compromised w/a bout of bore wash.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-13-2019 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Good to hear that your cat is running again. I bet you are relieved!

Old 03-13-2019, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Good to hear that your cat is running again. I bet you are relieved!
Relieved & perturbed lol this would've all been avoided had he heeded my instructions to simply plug in the already set-up tender. All's well that ends well I suppose.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I'd smell the oil, if there was an excessive amount which got past the rings, you'll be able to smell it. In that case, yes, change the oil since fuel is a corrosive. Personally I'd change it anyways...CYA..., an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Personally I'd change it anyways...CYA..., an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Yes that's my thinking as well.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Check the terminal nuts on the fuse link on the positive battery terminal , common to come loose on X308 not allowing enough current so you get a large voltage drop on the car during starter rotation . This voltage drop is below what is required for proper ECU function /. ignition

There is also a large fuse link with nuts under the right rear seat pan behind the RH heelboard fuse box , but you have to lift the rear seat . Removing through the door risk door trim damage

With the fuel pump running the ECU is powered to the extent the ECU is providing the ground for the fuel pump relay to close

If no starter rotation place your finger on the starter relay and feel for the click as a command from the BPU . Proves whether immobilized . The relay click doesn't prove the relay power contacts are good , maybe burnt or pitted

During key rotation feel the king relays circled in red to click closed providing power to items like the ECU

With a one person operation leave the key in the on or run position and remove the relays or rock in their socket feeling for them to click

The BPU and fuel pump relays are hot at all times and do not rely on the king relays

I'm not aware of relay swapping options on the X308 as I am out of my lane

I

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-13-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope

Check the terminal nuts on the fuse link on the positive battery terminal , common to come loose on X308 not allowing enough current so you get a large voltage drop on the car during starter rotation . This voltage drop is below what is required for proper ECU function /. ignition

If no starter rotation place your finger on the starter relay and feel for the click as a command from the BPU . Proves whether immobilized . The relay click doesn't prove the relay power contacts are good , maybe burnt or pitted

During key rotation feel the king relays circled in red to click closed providing power to items like the ECU

With a one person operation leave the key in the on or run position and remove the relays or rock in their socket feeling for them to click

The BPU and fuel pump relays are hot at all times and do not rely on the king relays
Appreciate the knowledge, but this was user error, my paint guy did not put it on the tender for 6 days(I never let it go 3 w/o maintenance) sitting & the battery was taxed, he then cold cranked excessively which flooded & gave me oft spoke of bore wash. This is my 3rd X308 & the 1st time I've encountered bore wash. I think I've now ran the gambit for typical X308 issues.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-13-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I just buzzed through the first couple of post not realizing you resolved it . Maybe next time / issue

I think I stole your Gif

Quick Reply: Car's disassembled & no crank ?! RESOLVED