XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Considering a '99 XJ8 - Pre Purchase help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a '99 XJ8 - Pre Purchase help needed!

Hello all,

So I've been dreaming of owning a Jag since I was young. I had bought another Euro car about a month ago from a small used dealer and went to pick up my plates when I saw a gorgeous green XJ8 sitting there just waiting for me to take a ride. I did a test drive and the car is smooth, paint needs a new buff but has no dents and just a little cracking, and the engine looks clean and shifts smoothly. It has 107k miles and the list price is $3495. It will be my daily driver, but I live 1.5 miles from work and my husband also has a car, so I can survive with the notorious unreliability if need be.

I have been checking around with Jag garages for a pre-purchase inspection which seems to run about $100-115, and I really don't know much at all about cars. I have looked around here and I know that the cars have the issue with timing belt tensioners, and I'd like to know if there is a way to see if the previous owner had them replaced as I don't want to have an issue that will seriously ruin the engine. Is there any way to visually inspect this easily? I messaged one dealership and they said it would take 10 hours of labor to look at that, and that if they are making a problem it would create a noise, anyway. I don't think this is correct, but maybe it is? Can someone help me here? Is there any way to check them out before buying? Thanks and hope to join the club!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

In the HOW TO section at the top of this forum you will find a guide for inspecting the XJ8.
There are only 2 ways to verify the tensioners have been changed. 1 a receipt from the previous owner. 2 pull off the cam shaft covers. 10 hours sound a little stiff but off and on for the average home mechanic would be a couple of hours.
If you decide to go thru buying it there are some things you should do immediately.
1. Have the transmission fluid changed.
2. Check differential fluid level.
3. Oil change.
That way you have no doubts as to when it was last serviced.
4. If it still has the plastic thermostat housing I would plan on getting it changed as soon as it is convenient.
They are a wonderful car and a pleasure to drive.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Ten hours: stick em up!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

If the paint is "cracking a little", it will fail completely with a year or two if the car is outside much in the Tx sun.
If the tensioners fail, it is a crap shoot as to whether the engine is a complete loss, costing more than the value of the car to replace. So, if they have not been done, you are looking at $1000. to $1500. or more to do the primary and secondary tensioners at an independent repair shop
If you or someone you sleep with is not going to work on the car, it will probably cost a minimum $1,500 per year to maintain it, assuming you are only driving it to and from work.
On the other hand, you will be driving a Jag-u-wah!

The following users liked this post:
mls0036 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
If the paint is "cracking a little", it will fail completely with a year or two if the car is outside much in the Tx sun.
If the tensioners fail, it is a crap shoot as to whether the engine is a complete loss, costing more than the value of the car to replace. So, if they have not been done, you are looking at $1000. to $1500. or more to do the primary and secondary tensioners at an independent repair shop
If you or someone you sleep with is not going to work on the car, it will probably cost a minimum $1,500 per year to maintain it, assuming you are only driving it to and from work.
On the other hand, you will be driving a Jag-u-wah!
Thanks! The paint is only cracked around the rear windshield, and it will be in a garage both at home and work, so it won't be getting too much sun exposure. The tensioners are really what worries me.. I found a different garage who seemed to know exactly what I was talking about, and said that they will listen for any noises indicating that problem during the pre-purchase inspection and then I can decide to have them investigate more or just leave it. They said that, if they do go, it'd be $2200 for the complete timing chain job - whatever that entails. If the maintenance is just $1500 a year, that's do-able.. and my husband is going to school to be a mechanic, so that could potentially offset some costs!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

The 98-03 XJ8 is a beautiful, luxurious car however I must caution that unless you work on your own cars or have an independent mechanic that you trust and that knows Jaguars this is not a smart buying option. The '98 model year is known for a wide variety of problems, some bid some small, and all of them expensive if you are paying someone for repairs.

I personally, and I know these cars well, would look for an '02 or '03 model year if buying another XJ because so many of the known problems were resolved by then. Further, if I did not do all of my own car repairs I would not buy a 17 year old Jaguar or any other make.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

+1. Unless the glove box holds a raft of service records confirming tranny repair, tensioners, water pump and the other issues taken care by model year 02 and 03.

Most of these concerns should be easy work even for a junior mechanic, maybe not so much when it comes to transmission overhaul. It is not a very complicated car.

No matter what model year, some things simply cost a lot of money, transmission overhaul, steering rack, differential,ball joints. Brake overhaul, tires, air-conditioning, battery, cooling system renovation, should be expected and if rececently done, would save a lot of money.

You will find most of the technical support you will need, or your husband will need, in this forum.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just gonna toss in my 2 cents here, but there are plenty of jags out there. Unless they're willing to drop the price down some I would keep looking. The paint cracking will be a big issue in about a year or so and at 107k these big problems are going to start poping up in the near future if the PO didn't maintain the car well. I got my 99 XJR (the supercharged version of the xj8) for $4500 and had been maintained thoroughly and was in great condition. There are a lot of little particular things to know about Jags to ensure your getting a good deal but trust me, they are certainly worth it and for another $1000 or so, you can get one that looks almost new. If you have any pic's please post them. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rideordie
Just gonna toss in my 2 cents here, but there are plenty of jags out there. Unless they're willing to drop the price down some I would keep looking. The paint cracking will be a big issue in about a year or so and at 107k these big problems are going to start poping up in the near future if the PO didn't maintain the car well. I got my 99 XJR (the supercharged version of the xj8) for $4500 and had been maintained thoroughly and was in great condition. There are a lot of little particular things to know about Jags to ensure your getting a good deal but trust me, they are certainly worth it and for another $1000 or so, you can get one that looks almost new. If you have any pic's please post them. Good luck!
Yeah, I'm still so so on the fence about whether I even wanna take the time to get it checked out. Here is the link: 1999 Jaguar XJ Series Sedan 4dr Sdn - Universal Auto Credit | Auto dealership in Houston, Texas | Inventory

Old 09-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Unless there is documentation that the chain tensioners, thermostat housing, water pump, hoses, rubber suspension bushings and transmission have been replaced or rebuilt in the past five years, this should be considered a car for the hobbyist with reasonable facilities for repair/ maintenance.
You could easily spend $10-15K at a independent shop in the near future. My XJ6, a simpler and more rugged car cost the previous owner that much before I bought it.

Lear45 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree about looking around for an '01 -'03. They're not very expensive and the later years had a couple less issues than the earlier ones. You'll need to get it up to snuff anyway, so the less to fix up front, the better.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I agree about looking around for an '01 -'03. They're not very expensive and the later years had a couple less issues than the earlier ones. You'll need to get it up to snuff anyway, so the less to fix up front, the better.
Thanks. I've found an '02 and '04 that are a little more expensive but in the same range and same mileage range. Do you know if they still have the similar issues with the tensioners and whatnot?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
The 98-03 XJ8 is a beautiful, luxurious car however I must caution that unless you work on your own cars or have an independent mechanic that you trust and that knows Jaguars this is not a smart buying option. The '98 model year is known for a wide variety of problems, some bid some small, and all of them expensive if you are paying someone for repairs.

I personally, and I know these cars well, would look for an '02 or '03 model year if buying another XJ because so many of the known problems were resolved by then. Further, if I did not do all of my own car repairs I would not buy a 17 year old Jaguar or any other make.
Thanks for your input. Do you know if the '03 had similar issues with the tensioners as the '99? I found one for sale and the owner has all of the service records since the car was new, its $4500 OBO with 104k miles.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

By 2003 the problems with the tensioners and the transmissions had been fixed. $4500 seems like a good price if the tires the battery and the brakes are in good order.

A fistfull of service records is a real bonus. It tells you what's been done, and who did i

Last edited by Jhartz; 09-18-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

+1 That should be a much better car.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
By 2003 the problems with the tensioners in the transmissions had been fixed. $4500 seems like a good price if the tires the battery and the brakes are in good order.

A fistfull of service records is a real bonus. It tells you what's been done, and who did it.
Is there a battery issue with the car? He said that the battery not charging light is on but that it is time for a new battery anyway. I would probably get the battery tested before buying the car to confirm that is the issue. The sunroof tracks also need to be replaced, but that doesn't seem like to difficult of a fix, I think my husband and I could handle that one, and the leather needs to be reconditioned as well but that's easy to do. Owner said they are the 3rd owner but bought it from a friend who bought it from a friend, so they've kept all of the records since new, and this guy has it in a garage. Makes me feel much better.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

If the charging light is on, it is probably the alternator that has failed, rather than the battery. However, if it has spent much time with a dead alternator, the battery is probably dead too. Batteries do not like being allowed to go flat.

sparkenzap (09-17-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
If the charging light is on, it is probably the alternator that has failed, rather than the battery. However, if it has spent much time with a dead alternator, the battery is probably dead too. Batteries do not like being allowed to go flat.
Thanks! I will get it checked out. I plan to take the car to a mechanic before making a purchase.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by mls0036
Is there a battery issue with the car? He said that the battery not charging light is on but that it is time for a new battery anyway. I would probably get the battery tested before buying the car to confirm that is the issue. The sunroof tracks also need to be replaced, but that doesn't seem like to difficult of a fix, I think my husband and I could handle that one, and the leather needs to be reconditioned as well but that's easy to do. Owner said they are the 3rd owner but bought it from a friend who bought it from a friend, so they've kept all of the records since new, and this guy has it in a garage. Makes me feel much better.
Uh oh!
I agree that the later, more expensive car is probably a better deal, BUT with a charging problem, bad seats and a bad sunroof, the price is high. Use those items to get the price down $1000. or you should keep looking. Not that I think you will follow my advice.

You have clearly become afflicted with an affliction known as Jag -u - wahphilia. (it can get really serious- notice my signature line) I suggest looking around some more or get busy getting the price lowered. But, again, I know you will not listen.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 09-18-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: missed previous post
Old 09-18-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Uh oh!
I realize you do want to hear this and you will probably ignore me, BUT a MY 98 with a charging problem, no tensioner service proof, bad seats, failing clear coat, and a bad sunroof has not been maintained and is not worth $3000.

You have clearly become afflicted with an affliction known as Jag -u - wahphilia. (it can get really serious- notice my signature line) I suggest looking around some more or get busy getting the price lowered. But, again, I know you will not listen.
I think I mentioned it in one of my replies, but I decided to not go with the '99 that I had originally mentioned, but am instead looking at an '03 XJ8 for $4500 OBO with full service records from when it was new. From my understanding, the transmission and tensioner issues had been fixed by '01. The paint on this car is fine as it was garaged. The seats could use some reconditoning but are by no means in bad condition, and the only known issues are the battery and the sunroof needing tracks replaced. Do you know of anything else I should be looking at?

Quick Reply: Considering a '99 XJ8 - Pre Purchase help needed!