XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coolant Warning light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant Warning light Problem

Hi guys,

ive been having some recent cooling problems, I've had a new water pump and thermostat and the problem had seemed to go away, however the last couple of days I've had the 'Engine Coolant Low' flash up for no more than 30 seconds then it goes off. My coolant level is absolutely fine I've checked it.

What at do you guys think? Coolant sensor?

Any my feedback would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Lou

Old 10-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If it is coming on and going away it might be the internal float sticking. It is a little tough to get to but it is in the forward inboard corner of the tank. You might try manipulating it up and down a few times to clear any build up on the tube it rides on. If that doesn't resolve it you might have a bad pressure cap that is releasing fluid to the overflow tank early and then when shut down returns it to the tank. If it isn't holding pressure it will vent to the overflow.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
If it is coming on and going away it might be the internal float sticking. It is a little tough to get to but it is in the forward inboard corner of the tank. You might try manipulating it up and down a few times to clear any build up on the tube it rides on. If that doesn't resolve it you might have a bad pressure cap that is releasing fluid to the overflow tank early and then when shut down returns it to the tank. If it isn't holding pressure it will vent to the overflow.
Thanks! I think given the history of my jag and it's problems with pressure I would inclinded to say it is the pressure cap! Thank you! Do you l know where this is located/how much it is for a replacement? Roughly

kind regards,

Lou

Old 10-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The pressure cap is on the coolant reservoir on the left side of the vehicle near the firewall bulkhead.