XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Door handle

My door handle on my jag works, just whenever i open it, the door handle cover opens a little, does anyone know the fix??

Old 10-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Well my first guess would be that the assembly is bolted in, and there might be nuts on the inside to tighten up, but you'd have to pull the panel to check for sure. I never looked at my outer handle when I messed with mine, so hopefully someone can probably clear up more details soon.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

lol.. I just started having the same problem with my drivers door However, in my case it slides up and down a little instead of in and out. After watching several videos on YouTube, it looks pretty easy to remove the interior door panel. You just need to be careful.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

It's all easy to get at in there, I think it's two 7mm bolts holding the door handle to the door.
When you remove the door panel it's important to release all the fir trees around the perimeter then lift the panel upwards first as the chrome strip between the window and the panel is actually a deep channel holding onto the door. There is a big screw under door grab handle and a second behind the circular cover in the interior door handle recess. You should remove the wood veneer first by gently releasing it from it's grippers at the rear and pulling back to release it from the where it grips to the interior door handle assembly.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

UPDATE: Ok guys.. I figured I would post here, rather than start a new thread on the same subject as the OP. I took my door apart, and the problem is more severe than I thought.

After the door panel was off and out of the way, I discovered that the bolt closest to the end of the door was missing. So I looked for it in the bottom area of the door, and sure enough it was there. Went to try and reinstall it.. Nothing happened. Hole is stripped

So... My thought was to thread the hole for a slightly larger bolt, rather than having to buy a new handle assembly (which would then have to be painted too.) However, my attempts to do this with the handle still installed were failures. Just not enough room inside the door. I then decided that I should just remove the entire handle assembly, and rethread the hole with it off of the car. I removed the second bolt, which is still holding just fine, but now I don't know how to get the handle out! It comes loose quite a bit, but it snags on something. The rod is still attached, but I figured that once you pop the handle out a bit, you could just rotate the whole assembly to disengage the rod. Apparently I am approaching this the wrong way.

After doing various searches, I could not find anything that was related to removing the exterior handle.. Most of the threads were in regards to the interior handle, or replacing the cable inside the door. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I have not driven my car in 6 weeks, because I had sent off the passenger side wheels to be refurbished. Now I have them back, and the car is ready to go, but I don't want to risk driving it with this handle issue. Very depressing

Last edited by Johnny_B; 10-09-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:27 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a third bolt, in this thread there is a good clear picture:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-side-111544/

Old 10-12-2016, 02:28 AM

It seem that the barrel screw has to be removed.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:31 AM
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default when it's apart...

When my 99 showed up in my driveway the first job was to replace a broken cable to be able to open the door from the inside. I noticed the same issue with the whole handle lifting while working to fix the cable. When I checked the others I found all 4 handles were doing the same thing.
When you get the handle apart from the door check the sheet metal retaining bracket. All 4 of mine had relaxed over the years of use and needed to be reformed to hold the handle housing in place while the handle was lifted.
They've all been good since then but this bracket is pretty cheesy so a forceful lift will surely undo any reforming you might undertake.
Good luck, this is a tight area to work in so patience is one of your more useful tools.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 AM

I think i know why you have a gap, is your gasket seal missing, as i cannot see it in the picture?

I also found this:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...removal-37330/

Old 10-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes part of it is missing/deteriorated, does the seal keep it together or is it the bolts?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Yes! It's about to break!

These cheesy handles that Jag made should be a crime! I have replaced 3 already. The driver goes first, outside and inside. Then the followed by the driver rear door, etc. The should have stuck with making engines, and leave the rest of the car to someone else.

I am fortunate that I don't give up easy. I have plans to design a fix for these handles. I will draw a design soon to address the weak points I found in the original design. Look for it soon.