XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The dreaded limp home mode...again

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts
Talking O-ring

?

Last edited by JimmyL; 12-07-2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Wrong post can this be deleted ?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp home

My business partner has a 2000 KKR that is flawless with the exception of this problem, did you fix or sell?
Best
big mike

Old 02-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixing the limp mode problem

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
I do realize that this has been addressed over and over, but unfortunately it is not one of those things that resolves in a straight forward manner, like "Oh, this is it, this one thing will take care of this; we're done". No, unfortunately nope.

For a while by now I have been living with the infamous XJR engine problems that throw the system into “limp home” mode out of the clear sky. This has repeated several times during the last year, or so. It may go fine for a week or two and then, when I’m beginning to trust it (and drive farther away…) it again fails and in spite of all the work and expense it has generated. So, the car just sits there while the others cars get the drive (the XJS and the Z3). I basically can no longer trust it for anything longer than just a few miles, otherwise I’m facing the dreaded limp home mode for miles.
· ASCnot available
· Tracknot available
· Failsafe engine mode
... and more
Below is a summary of what has been done in regards to this problem:
ITEM ITEM STATUS
· ABSModule ………………………………….Rebuilt by British Eurotech
· Throttlebody Assembly …………………….Replaced by British Eurotech
· EngineECU (Used) .…………………….….Replaced by British Eurotech
· Brake switch ………………………..………Replaced by British Eurotech
· Wheelspeed sensor(s) …………………….Cleaned and inspected all four sensors by owner, in spring of 2014
· Borderline low battery charge ……………..Fully aware of this issue, the owner keeps the battery fully charged 24/7

Also, I’m sure that the shop is aware of all the potentially suspect power wiring connections and, after all this work, the shop must’ve included some serious inspection.

The hard reality is that, by now, this carries a nasty cost in receipts, yet I still cannot trust the car. The question is, looking at above list of what has already been spent on, what else is there to replace (i.e. spend money on), other than changing again what’s already been changed? I’m not looking forward to shelling out more of this kind of money. Jeez, just the other day I responded to one of those offers for “Extended Warranty on a used car”, but when I revealed that the car in question happened to be an XJR they said “we don’t cover XJR’s”...hmm, I wonder why.

So, it’s only obvious that the idea of getting rid of the car is growing in popularity yet, I otherwise love this car and totally wish that I could say “this problem is now a thing of the past”. Thing is, if I sold it, what am I going to tell the new owner, and, if I do say something, is the car going to sell at all? and if it does, will I get more than $3,000.00 for it? (Jeez, just the ICE alone in this car is worth much more than that, see gallery).
I realize that there’s plenty of Forum writing on this subject. I only want to know if anybody here may have a different angle on this overall picture, be it the failure issue itself, or the disposal of the car issue, etc.
Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
when it happened to my 2003 style V8 it was knock sensors the first time. The second time it was the plugs. They had 120k on them.

I also had three bad coils. It’s all fixed now

Big 4.2 liter 32 valve overhead variable timing cam v8 and running like a dream!!

The following users liked this post:
Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 02-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Just realised the original post was 5 years ago. Forcedair, did you ever resolve the problem??

Old 04-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default fixed

Originally Posted by fredd60
Just realised the original post was 5 years ago. Forcedair, did you ever resolve the problem??
Looks like a new (OEM) Throttle Body from dealer fixed it, according to post #19.
Patrick

Old 04-30-2021, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve cover leak

I do realize that this has been addressed over and over, but unfortunately it is not one of those things that resolves in a straight forward manner, like "Oh, this is it, this one thing will take care of this; we're done". No, unfortunately nope.

For a while by now I have been living with the infamous XJR engine problems that throw the system into “limp home” mode out of the clear sky. This has repeated several times during the last year, or so. It may go fine for a week or two and then, when I’m beginning to trust it (and drive farther away…) it again fails and in spite of all the work and expense it has generated. So, the car just sits there while the others cars get the drive (the XJS and the Z3). I basically can no longer trust it for anything longer than just a few miles, otherwise I’m facing the dreaded limp home mode for miles.
· ASCnot available
· Tracknot available
· Failsafe engine mode
... and more
ITEM ITEM STATUS
· Wheelspeed sensor(s) …………………….Cleaned and inspected all four sensors by owner, in spring of 2014
· Borderline low battery charge ……………..Fully aware of this issue, the owner keeps the battery fully charged 24/7

Also, I’m sure that the shop is aware of all the potentially suspect power wiring connections and, after all this work, the shop must’ve included some serious inspection.

The hard reality is that, by now, this carries a nasty cost in receipts, yet I still cannot trust the car. The question is, looking at above list of what has already been spent on, what else is there to replace (i.e. spend money on), other than changing again what’s already been changed? I’m not looking forward to shelling out more of this kind of money. Jeez, just the other day I responded to one of those offers for “Extended Warranty on a used car”, but when I revealed that the car in question happened to be an XJR they said “we don’t cover XJR’s”...hmm, I wonder why.

So, it’s only obvious that the idea of getting rid of the car is growing in popularity yet, I otherwise love this car and totally wish that I could say “this problem is now a thing of the past”. Thing is, if I sold it, what am I going to tell the new owner, and, if I do say something, is the car going to sell at all? and if it does, will I get more than $3,000.00 for it? (Jeez, just the ICE alone in this car is worth much more than that, see gallery).
I realize that there’s plenty of Forum writing on this subject. I only want to know if anybody here may have a different angle on this overall picture, be it the failure issue itself, or the disposal of the car issue, etc.
Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
valve cover leaks into spark plugs fouls after warm up limp home

Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 10:32 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I had this happen once on my '97 XK8. Once, and then never again. I think it was after sitting a long time and a hard acceleration on the highway. Embarrassing for sure.

Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm guessing it's the TB on my XJR as well. I used to have the same issues and also rebuilt the ABS module and replaced the ground straps and battery cables. That helped for a while (the car cranked a lot quicker). Then the limp home mode would come on after having cruise engaged for a few miles. I replaced the brake switch and all the rubber hosing for the cruise (it's a 99, has vacuum assist). This also worked for a while but limp home still happens from time to time, only when the cruise is on. No ABS warnings though. I usually just leave the cruise off.

Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Sadly I have just turned in my 99 V8 sovereign to a better place as I was hardly using it, and every year the MOT suggested creeping rust.
I had a broken headlamp glass, the AC packed in for the umpteenth time, the roofliner has fallen - and is pinned up with upholstery pins, and. the restricted performance light was forever coming on. Funnily enough I always found that if I ignored it for a few miles it went off and I could get the revs over 3000rpm, - if i ever needed it.
It sat in my garage for a while and then I found the battery was down to six volts, - evidenced also by the engine not turning over any longer.
I wonder, can it just be short journeys draining the battery that kids the tired old Jag brain into thinking that problems exist where they don't?
Yours looking for another classy Jag, Londonroader

Old 04-20-2023, 02:03 PM

· ASCnot available
· Tracknot available
· Failsafe engine mode
... and more
ITEM ITEM STATUS

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
perhaps replace the battery...

Old 04-21-2023, 06:51 AM
Received 209 Likes on 121 Posts

What codes does it give with the fault? without them you're just guessing.

Having said that, mine was doing the same the other year & turning the cruise control button by the gearstick off fixed it. Apparently that proves it's one of the TPS, the one that can't be replaced separately so I fitted a 2nd hand TB which cured it.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 303 Posts

One year and a half old thread.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:47 AM

Ahh missed that, I only saw the recent response.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:06 PM
Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts

Since we're all commenting on an old post, I'll throw in my two pennies ...

I've had my '02 XJR-100 since August of '04. I've replaced the TB four times over the years, all brand new ones and threw away three of the old ones. If I had it to do over, I would keep those Pedal Position Sensors (PPS) before trashing the whole TB. I kept the last one because after reading through a lot of TB threads, it became apparent that it's either the PPS or TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that causes the problems. On my car, it's been the PPS that goes bad, and now I'm out of spares for that and have two TPS spares. The PPS is only available by buying a new TB, which I'll probably do this year so that the one on the car now can be a spare.

So, keep those PPS's; they're going to be worth as much as the car, eventually.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:48 AM

Aye it was the PPS that failed on mine.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:57 PM
Smile Dreaded Limp Home Mode - Again

With all the dash lights, we started to refer to our 2001 XJ8E (49K miles) as "The Christmas Tree.:" Shortly after we purchased it, the seller (on his dime, to his credit) replaced the valve cover gaskets to try to address the problem. No joy.

Next, we (the buyers, now firmly on our dime), on the advice of our mechanic, replaced the fuel pump. No joy, dash still lights up. Then we replaced the mass air sensor. Still no joy. Finally, two coils and a new gas cap. Nada.

Then an ABS module rebuild.

Success!!,

Well, maybe. We are two weeks without seeing the restricted performance warning.

Stay tuned.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 303 Posts

The ABS module seems to be the culprit much of the time.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:28 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8tbh
With all the dash lights, we started to refer to our 2001 XJ8E (49K miles) as "The Christmas Tree.:" Shortly after we purchased it, the seller (on his dime, to his credit) replaced the valve cover gaskets to try to address the problem. No joy.

Next, we (the buyers, now firmly on our dime), on the advice of our mechanic, replaced the fuel pump. No joy, dash still lights up. Then we replaced the mass air sensor. Still no joy. Finally, two coils and a new gas cap. Nada.

Then an ABS module rebuild.

Success!!,

Well, maybe. We are two weeks without seeing the restricted performance warning.

Stay tuned.
My highly touted ABS module rebuild was good for about 3-4 weeks....then all the lights came back. Then, "rebuilt" the ECU. Lights still on. Lights still on today, a year + later. This week my battery died flat. Screwed up all kinds of stuff, but after a long recharge and several starts it seems "OK". It's a major PITA when your windows won't work. A WARNING! If you unlock you car with the key manually, the window will not retract, and you cannot close the door until you power the battery enough to lower the window,. Trying to slam the door with the window in "full up" will tear the rubber seal.

NOW....does anyone have a link on how to R&R the whole ABS assembly without taking it apart. Yes, unplug the big CAN connection and take off the brake lines....but is it just a matter of removing those 4 bolts down below? What's the best way to the bolts?