XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine bay bulkhead trimming/molding inquiry,

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts
Default Engine bay bulkhead trimming/molding inquiry,

Is there a secret to refitting the trim under the hood. I can't get mine back flush & the rubber lip on one piece is coming a loose. I'm speaking of the pieces on top IE the tool kit compartment etc.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I also have to re-secure the rubber trim pieces on mine more often than I would like.

I think a dab or two of carefully placed black silicone adhesive would keep it in place.
Vector

Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

If you're talking about the cushion-ish pieces, I ended up purchasing all new trim strips (I want to say I ordered it through NAPA but now I can't swear to it, it was over a year ago). It was relatively inexpensive, I want to say it was about $20 for a package with about 10-12' or so, and just trim to length. So far has held in place perfectly.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I always lift the seal from the side before I lower the covers.

Each side cover has a locator pin next to the hole for the bonnet pin, and those much line up, then the whole panel falls in place.

And yes, I also used some dots of black sealer to keep the rubber surrounds in place.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (03-03-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

On many of the classic cars that I have worked on restoring, the manufacturer would typically use "staples" on the backside to hold a piece of weatherstrip or edge trim like that, often just at the ends or inside a concave curve. But not having the special staple gun like the factory, I'll wire it back with safety wire through the original staple holes. So taking a lesson from much more learned engineers of decades past, I punched a couple of discreet holes in the plastic cover and wired the ends of the weatherstrip on the underside where it can't be seen. It now stays put. If for any reason it needed to be undone in the future, say the rubber strip gets damaged and needs replaced entirely, its easier than trying to remove glue.