XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Factory Phone

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

so i did it...i finally installed the motorola t605 and ditched the factory phone i was using...jim's doc worked great and i love the fact that i have a center console with storage space now...anyone want to buy an old motorola timeport

Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
wfd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdog2000
so i did it...i finally installed the motorola t605 and ditched the factory phone i was using...jim's doc worked great and i love the fact that i have a center console with storage space now...anyone want to buy an old motorola timeport
Could you share a photo of how it looks? Thanks.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

pics of my t605 install below...also the center blue light on the t605 is way too bright for my eyes, so i used some foil tape to block it...i poked a pin hole in it so i could still see the blue...

Attached Thumbnails Factory Phone-img_1890.jpg   Factory Phone-img_1888.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

After all this time, I just completed the install into my 99 XJR. I used the Motorola T605 also. It's a nice clean look, doesn't distract from the asthetics of the car too much. The controler is MUCH smaller than I expected which helps.

By the way, for anyone doing this in the future, remember that the yellow and orange wires are sometimes reversed on some of the Motorola units. I bought my unit online for $22, so when I hooked it up and could not get it to mute correctly, I thought I'd been had. I struggled with this for a bit until I read on here somewhere that it can be that way. My stereo would not mute when I went to phone. Swapped the two colors, and voila! Sounds and operates great!

I placed the controller in the same position as pdog2000.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People say I sound dull with my motorola t605

which I installed in the arms rest console recently. Could the reason be that I mismatched the plus and minus wires on the mike? Or something else. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Hi Jag lovers
I finally decided to install a Bluetooth car kit in my european 1999 X308 with no premium stereo.
I bought a parrot Mki9000 for 50€ (current sales at NORAUTO in France). I decided to go for it because I don’t want to open the central console to run a cable to the dash board. The remote control is powered by bluetooth so no need of a cable.
I read all the threads to understand how to install it.
First, I set the radio for phone capability and tested the mute pin in the RT2 plug and I discovered that pin 3 was working perfectly (whereas I read that in ROW cars there could be a problem of cable going to the trunk and making things difficult or whatever)
Second, I cut part of the parrot harness going to the ISO plugs, and cut part of the JAG Harness I kept from the OEM motorola phone installation I removed. I connected the wires (with stereo parrot outputs connected together to the mono input RT2 pin. I cut in half the Parrot stereo Mic cable. I connected the male part to the mono mic input on the blue box and the mic part in the upper console (with a stereo to Mono reduction).
Third I installed the parrot blue box in the console and connected the plugs, and
…. It worked perfectly.
I then connected it to my iphone and streamed music. I discovered with surprise that the sound was coming out of all the spekers (front and back). The sound quality is surprisingly good but in MONO mode. The voice recognition system works perfectly. I hear a little WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZ when I accelerate (probably due the antennas I made with wires in the console …..)
So I could stop there and live with a mono music system forever.
But I prefer stereo. I will probably hack the CD charger, but there is something I don’t understand. If I connect the line out of the parrot system on the AINET cable in the trunk, when I stream music with Bluetooth, the mute should remove the sound coming form the CD charger. So it cannot work that way. Am I right ?

Alain, Paris, France

Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a Nexxia harness and a Nokia 7-a car kit [bluetooth]. I provided details, however apparently it had to pass through a moderator. Not going to repeat the details..suffice it to say it works great and I did not have to block one of my vents, nor hack into the CD player.

Maybe the moderator will let it through [original post]?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Astigmatism or SuperSport. Do you have the link to show what each wire is for in the harness under the armrest? Supersport referrs back to a link that I can not find. The PDFs in this thread are also corrupt. Please help.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyK
Astigmatism or SuperSport. Do you have the link to show what each wire is for in the harness under the armrest? Supersport referrs back to a link that I can not find. The PDFs in this thread are also corrupt. Please help.
I'm not sure why the link did not work for you. I just opened it and took this screen capture. I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Factory Phone-pinouts.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alroder
.... I cut in half the Parrot stereo Mic cable. I connected the male part to the mono mic input on the blue box and the mic part in the upper console (with a stereo to Mono reduction)......
I plan on installing a MKI9000 in my 01 XJR. Do you have any pictures on how you wired the mic in mono?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
Hi John

Thanks for the update. The iO play system looks pretty interesting.

Did you fit it yourself or have it done at a shop ?

Any chance you could give us an idea of price ?

I'm guessing to fit it you'd have to splice into the speaker signal cables coming from the head unit so that the iO play unit can "mute" the stereo and supply the bluetooth music/phone source. A few of us here on the forums already discovered that you can't use the normal phone input on the stereo as it only supplies the front 2 speakers. Does the iO work if the car stereo is powered off ?

Some more info on your install would be much appreciated. Although I'm very happy with my 20USD solution, it does involve a bit of wiring so it would be good to hear if there is a different solution that people could also consider.

Take care
going through the in-car telephone book (jjm 10 31 99/80) the last paragraph on page 13 front/rear phone fade
" using the radio mode button, front/rear phone fade can be adjusted by using the radio volume controls. "

Old 11-21-2013, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by EricEFNY
Use a Nexxia harness and a Nokia 7-a car kit [bluetooth]. I provided details, however apparently it had to pass through a moderator. Not going to repeat the details..suffice it to say it works great and I did not have to block one of my vents, nor hack into the CD player.

Maybe the moderator will let it through [original post]?
More details please? I have looked for a Nokia 7-a car kit and no luck. Any links?

I have an aftermarket pioneer deh7100bt deck that I can use but the mic sucks and was wondering if splicing into the stock microphone might be better?

I have also seen the Motorola T605 with the cd changer hack but would rather not run wires from the trunk, if anything run them from behind the factory head unit. Also for quality sake is it wise to keep the factory mic or is the Motorola mic the preferred mic?

Long winded I know, but just the thoughts running through my head after reading the thread and want to see what my best option would be

Dan.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

I actually have the Motorola timeport that comes as an option for the xj's

Old 10-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone have experience with the nokia ck7w? My goal is audio streaming from all speakers and no user control buttons to mount, just a hidden module plugged into factory harness.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:42 AM

There is only one button to use. Mount it below the shifter on [not on the wood]. It takes only the space of a quarter. I mounted the Nokia Nokia 7-a car kit [bluetooth] unit on the underside of the center console. The Nokia kit is still available on amazon. Ordered the harness kit from the UK.

It works fine and does not take away from the factory look of the interior. www.nexxia.co.uk the

Last edited by EricEFNY; 11-02-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Eric, I cant seem to find anything about nokia 7-a. I can however find a nokia ck7w kit which I believe is one and the same. Can you confirm audio streaming out of all speakers with this kit?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my car has the factory phone and the parrot in it . i just got it. how does all this work

Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my car already has the parrot in it. when i hit the button it beeps in the radio. what do i need to do now to get it to work. owners manual

Old 01-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry for reviving a thread that hasnt seen any action in a couple of months, but since with time the newly available electronics out there change and improve, I wanted to ask a few questions. Ive looked at all of the custom headunit installs people have done but Im just not happy with the look of the custom dash install kits most folks have bought or made. IF I could get a really nice double din DVD/Nav unit in there, Id go that route, but it isnt an option from what Ive seen. So since thats out, I MUCH prefer the stock, OEM appearance of the stereo with the HVAC controls above it over a single din surrounded by a custom face trim kit. It looks like $1,000,000 as it is OEM IMO, but I really cant go without all of the features of todays stereos. So here we go

1. Mine is a 1998 XJR with the HK stereo system, 6 disk changer in the trunk. Is it possible for me to use the phone connection, thus retaining the cd changer functionality, to use both my bluetooth enabled smartphone?

2. Will I be able to use it both for phone (2 speakers I gather) as well as bluetooth music streaming (all speakers)?

3. Will apps like Pandora also work through the bluetooth connection?

4. What is the best bluetooth unit(s) available today? A lot of years have gone by since this thread was started, so I wanted to ask whats available today that will work for all of these functions.

My main goal is to be able to use the phone and stream music via bluetooth and keep my car looking as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Muti007; 01-28-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
Sorry for reviving a thread that hasnt seen any action in a couple of months, but since with time the newly available electronics out there change and improve, I wanted to ask a few questions. Ive looked at all of the custom headunit installs people have done but Im just not happy with the look of the custom dash install kits most folks have bought or made. IF I could get a really nice double din DVD/Nav unit in there, Id go that route, but it isnt an option from what Ive seen. So since thats out, I MUCH prefer the stock, OEM appearance of the stereo with the HVAC controls above it over a single din surrounded by a custom face trim kit. It looks like $1,000,000 as it is OEM IMO, but I really cant go without all of the features of todays stereos. So here we go

1. Mine is a 1998 XJR with the HK stereo system, 6 disk changer in the trunk. Is it possible for me to use the phone connection, thus retaining the cd changer functionality, to use both my bluetooth enabled smartphone?

2. Will I be able to use it both for phone (2 speakers I gather) as well as bluetooth music streaming (all speakers)?

3. Will apps like Pandora also work through the bluetooth connection?

4. What is the best bluetooth unit(s) available today? A lot of years have gone by since this thread was started, so I wanted to ask whats available today that will work for all of these functions.

My main goal is to be able to use the phone and stream music via bluetooth and keep my car looking as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance
Have a look at the TansIt BLU HF from i simple, this maybe what you are looking for.

Sorry, don't know how to post a link.

Quick Reply: Factory Phone