XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Finding the right colour

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:35 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Finding the right colour

I have some new panels to fit to the car, and some painting of other panels to do. Problem is, i'm not doing the whole car, and amongst various problems with an older car is getting the right colour when needing to do some repainting. My car is black, seems as though the paint is very slightly metallic, and obviously faded over 19 years due to the fantastic sunshine we get in the UK (Really?)

Unfortunately, the details written on my vehicle's ID plate have partially worn away, got covered up...whatever, but it is impossible to read the paint code. I got the interior colour code (NED) which is Ivory, but the definitive car colour continues to elude me.

I have searched around the Forum for people having had similar problems but there's nothing found yet that I haven't already tried. I can well imagine that a good quality paint supplier will have dozens of colour variants for Jaguar 'black' but, I haven't tried that route yet.

I've contacted Jaguar records with my VIN, and registration, but all I got was "we think it might be Anthracite", "possibly Micatallic"? And obviously the vehicle's V5 says colour - 'Black'

If I can get the right colour and code, it may well be sensible to obtain a new vehicle plate with all the correct details on it, though I would welcome advice on how to do that too, or even if it's possible?

Any ideas on how to get the right colour would be welcome, thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Any paint shop should have a 'paint light gun' which can determin the exact colour code required with weathering and fade. That is standard equipement today.

Last edited by Daim; 04-27-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

That's something I didn't know Daim, thanks a lot. Have some local automotive paint places close by that I know are well regarded so will try that :-)

Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

At this point, unless doing a full repaint, the paint code is not relevant. The light guns that companies make gives them a value that the paint shop's mix system will give them instructions on how to mix.

I wouldn't even trust that if you scanned each panel that they'd all come back the same. Between blending and all, sometimes I just go screw it and do a whole car; sometimes like a pair of bumpers I buy two different paint mixes so they match their neighboring panels.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Your car will be painted PED Anthracite Pearl. It's an ICI base and clear, any good paint shop will mix up a tin of Jaguar PED, rattle cans even.
The paint can be flick blended between panels, and then wetsanded and machine polished, it's the clear coat that's faded, not the base

Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

the spectrograph gun is useless,my PPG store has never had luck with matching paint for me.[its a catch 22],the surface they need has to be shiney,and when they mix the paint it will match well...however when clearcoat it sprayed it will darken,as clearcoats do.the color your matching should not pose too much of an issue, unlike high polly colors,steve.