XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gas tank out, anything else I should be doing while in here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gas tank out, anything else I should be doing while in here?

Gas tank is out for fuel pump job. It was a pain getting it out, any other things I should consider doing while I have it out.... don't want to take it out again.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The internal wiring harness is another common failure point. Are you planning on replacing that also?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm a bit conflicted on replacing the fuel pump link lead. I have an 01 VDP S/C, so I have two link leads one is a part of the sending unit, the other is just the lead by itself. The dealer wants $100+ for the link lead. It's two wires 100+ seems (insert explative) ridiculous for this! One of my leads was fried at the fuel pump end. I bought an Airtex pump that uses it own link lead so current plan is to splice solder and heat shrink. I actually called AMP (the maker of the link lead connector) to try and get a replacement connector, but they haven't got back to me yet.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

"One of my leads was fried at the fuel pump end. "

Old 08-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I understand your concern. I shared it as well. I cut the wire back far enough on the link lead that I don't belive it to be compromised. Additionally I staggered my splices so they don't overlap and finally the two wires are physcially seperated by the connecting fuel hose. I actually considerd replacing both link leads but that would have cost upwards of $260 (you have to buy the sending unit with the other link lead). I feel very comfortable with what I have done. None of the connections in the tank are sealed. Additonally this is the secondary fuel pump (not the primary), which I had been running with out for some unkown ammount of time.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dneider
Yeah, I understand your concern. I shared it as well. I cut the wire back far enough on the link lead that I don't belive it to be compromised. Additionally I staggered my splices so they don't overlap and finally the two wires are physcially seperated by the connecting fuel hose. I actually considerd replacing both link leads but that would have cost upwards of $260 (you have to buy the sending unit with the other link lead). I feel very comfortable with what I have done. None of the connections in the tank are sealed. Additonally this is the secondary fuel pump (not the primary), which I had been running with out for some unkown ammount of time.
I've learned to 'Repair', as opposed to replace, many small parts in this car since I bought it. Has saved me a couple thousand dollars so far. That will go a long ways if I need to fix the transmission later. $100 for two wires? Sounds like a Harley... I did the fuel pumps not too long ago, and fortunately, my leads were in fine shape. If they were not, and I got a $260 quote, I first would have wiped the drool off my chin from laughing so hard, and then I would have proceeded in working out a plan as you did to build my own.