XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearbox fault

Help please! I don't know if this is the correct part of the forums to post this.

I have a 2001 Daimler Super V8 (engine has been replaced before I purchased and I think the 'super' part is no longer present after the change - doesn't matter).

After having quite a bit of work done on the car, I am now getting a 'gearbox fault' message. It comes after a less than smooth shift - generally upward shift. It appears to happen more in colder weather. I wouldn't say that a limp mode kicks in, but the box feels more 'slippy' once the message appears.

The car has done 130k miles - is there a part that has just worn down and needs replacing? Is there a transmission oil change I should get done first?

Any help appreciated!! I love the car, just wish I could get it back on the road and enjoy some trouble-free driving. It was in a showroom for 3 years and is proving problematic now it is driving again.

Steve

Old 02-29-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I believe the super V8 has the supercharged engine, and you can determine that by looking at the engine. If so, it will have the 722.6 mercedes transmission and a likely failure mode is a speed sensor. But to confirm you need to have the codes read.

The following users liked this post:
stevewiz (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said - the engine has been replaced before I purchased - a long time before. It was sold to me as the V8 without supercharger.

Interesting idea - it certainly seems to happen when the acceleration is 'easier'. It seems to wobble between gears very briefly as if it can't decide to go up. Noted for the next visit to garage - see if they can find that fault.

Where is the speed sensor? On an axle?

The following users liked this post:
DutchSuper350 (04-01-2023)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

The NA engine usually is coupled to the ZF 5HP24 transmission, so my previous post should be ignored. The transmission may be low on fluid, or the A drum may be at risk of failing due to valve body wear. The below link should help explain.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...%20ZF5HP24.pdf