Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default getting (no) cranky

2000 VDP

No Cranking.
No message screen.
No fuel pump.
No Radio.
Shifter stuck in Park.

Background, trying to recover from low oil (loose oil filter?), which led to cylinder washdown. Repeated oil-in-hole attempts unsuccessfull. Compression test 40-ish almost all around, only one or two good. Take off cam covers to check tensioners and cams. Surprisingly, look ok and flats line up but squeeky. Oil cam lobes and squirt bunches into cylinders. Hand turn, seems ok and squeeks go away.

Cam covers go back on, try compression check again, and NOTHING.

Dash lights come on, but no message display at all.
It seems to pull voltage trying to crank, but no crank or even click. "Usual" whirring and whiny noises.
Radio not working, except for a few seconds when fiddling, then nothing.
Replaced Fuel Relay (oiling and comp testing), no fuel pump sound.
Shifter stuck in Park.

Battery's been running down, now fully charged. Hard Reset made no difference.

Checked Fuel (1) and Module (5) fuses in engine box, ok.

Everything seemed to be ok (except the starting part) before I pulled the cam covers.

I could see the starter maybe going away from all the previous cranking, but that wouldn't explain the no message screen and locked shifter plus misc. Thinking of jumpering starter relay or selenoid to check starter.

I'll continue checking fuses and such. Any ideas of what might be common between Display, Starter, Shifter, Pump, Radio?

I was close to signing off on this car, then the stupid valve train looked ok.

Thanks for any ideas (or words of encouragement).

Lowell

Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Maybe you can use this manual

Hi, I have a 96 xj6 but the wiring may be the same on a few items. I can send the shop electrical manual to you if you want but need a email because this message box will not allow an upload with that much data. Otherwise, I'm sure there are links to manuals here online, just do a quick search.

Don't give up. These are great cars! I bought mine last August and someone backed into me, fixed that and then was rear ended while at a traffic light in January by a van. The insurance company wanted to total the car, but I had a high end body shop take care of it, and now it's back on the road like new (albeit with a few clicks and bumps underneath I'm tracking down). I'm going to upload the photos hopefully soon. You'll like it.

I had a Mercedes 300 SD, a BMW 3, various street racers (350-427 Chev.) several trucks and worked for a boss that had a Ferrari and a Maserati. I don't think I've ever been so involved or emotional about a car since I got this. I can't believe how great it responds; makes me wonder how good the xke and xks were in handling.

Let me know how you are doing!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Before going into the other stuff, I would check if the starter is getting the right voltage. If not,.....well you know what to do. "Battery was running down, now fully charged",.......voltage or amps? Recheck the battery, make sure amperage is where it needs to be. Trace the juice to the starter, and if it's "hot", replace/rebuild the starter.

"Jumping" the starter will let you know right away. Judging by the "no clicking" statement, your starter is either fried, or doesn't get ANY juice. The only common denominator between the stuff you mentioned is ground. Check ALL grounding points for corrosion, clean, and tighten up.

Altogether I think you have a shorted out starter.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Did you check the bulkhead connector?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for a belated followup.

Massive amount of disastrous issues turned out to just be a bad battery. Further research indicated the 10.3 volts I was reading should have been a warning flag. "Fully charged" battery dropping to 8 something after 2 days further confirmed. Dropping in battery from XJ6 and display and starter returned.

Back to immediate issue, cylindar washdown, disregarded the minimal amount of oil recommended to drop into the cylindars and added 2 or 3 times as much. Now good compression all around, new plugs, and she fired right off. Missing on a few cylindars at first, soon only 1 or 2, then eventually smoothed out. All while fogging out all mosquitos within a couple of blocks. Definately do not do this in an enclosed area if possible. Maybe not within an inhabited area. May or may not have been responsible for a fire dept call-out somewhere around the corner.

Now back to the original issue of "low oil pressure" at idle, which I'll identify better if anyone knows where I put the new pressure sensor I got a couple weeks ago. Still possible serious damage from losing oil from a not-tight oil filter.

Thanks again for the responses, and for the overall forum itself. Vast knowledge freely shared. Much appreciated.

Lowell