XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help diagnosing noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Help diagnosing noises

Now that all the major things on my xjr have been taking care of, I'm starting to slowly try and work through the smaller things. There's a couple noises I'm getting that I can't quite figure out.

One is a clicking noise, seems to happen once every crank rotation, only happens when engine is near or at operating temperature. Most noticeable when at idle, standing outside the car, and it seems to be coming from underneath the car. Opening the hood does not do anything to help find it. The only TSB i saw mentioned the EGR valve, which seems to be quiet. Poking around underneath with a stethoscope didn't seem to reveal anything either.

The other noise is a sort of warbling from the supercharger. I recently replaced the s/c oil, i was only able to pull out about 3-4 oz of old, dirty oil, but it filled up with the expected 6oz, when filling up to the oil port. The s/c sounds slightly quieter and smoother from inside the car now, I believe the warbling noise was still happening before I changed the oil. I'm not sure if this is just a normal noise, or if it's showing that the bearings are going bad. Spinning it by hand doesn't make any noise, no play in the pulley, and the pulley turns smoothly.

First half shows the clicking, second is the s/c. The clicking is pretty difficult to hear on my laptop, so the video may only be good for listening to the s/c.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f...ew?usp=sharing