XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help!! Newbie in need of answers!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Help!! Newbie in need of answers!!

Let me start this off by saying thank you in advance for all responses and advice received.

I've searched the forum, as well as googled, to help me with my dilemma.

I have recently purchased a 2003 Jaguar XJ8 (x308) who's in need of a little reviving to make truly road worthy.

I came across an individual selling a 2000 Jaguar VDP 4.0 V8. He is willing to sell me the vehicle so that I can use it as a donor vehicle for parts that I may need. I'm hesitant to purchase as I'm not sure if my 2003 XJ8 and his vehicle 2000 VDP are interchangeable, with mechanical, body parts and interior parts I'd like. I asked him if his was a Long base model? He was not sure if VDP were considered L, or if there was a different trim all together. My searches and researching are causing me a headache. So the plan is to go and view the car tomorrow as he has yet to send the VIN.

My plans if they are are as follows--if anyone has knowledge to if something is possible please chime in and help me out if you don't mind. I wish I had more time to keep searching but I'm scheduled to view the vehicle tomorrow.

1. I'd like to take his front 1/4 fenders to install later after modification? Are my XJ8 and VDP compatible to for this mod? My passenger side fender has a little dent around the front headlight area and his does not. The answer is yes--measurements and research revealed that the front of the vehicle measurements do not change with the longer base. Only the rear measurements change i.e. rear seats/doors

2. I'd like to remove all the headlights, side and rear markers and tail lamps. My plan is to swap out one of my cracked lens and modify the rest of the markers down the road. Are the VDP front left/right, low/high beam, front markers, side markers, rear tail lights a direct replacement for my XJ8? My research is telling me yes but I need certainty. After physical confirmation the answer is YES.

3. The VDP's have the work station tables--I'd like to remove his and install in mine. Is it possible to remove my XJ8 driver and passenger seat panels and install the VDP's for the work station? From the view of the seats it doesn't look possible. After viewing the seats this modification is possible if you're willing to take the time

4. Will the VDP chrome driver and passenger sides be able to replace my current mirrors? I really like the chrome vs my current color matched mirrors. I'm thinking yes based on research and appearance. YES, is my answer.

5. I'd like the rear driver and passenger doors from the VDP and my XJ8. Work for me? The answer is no if you do not have the XJ8L or a VDP. Rear door is longer...regular vehicle door I believe was around 36 1/2"s measured right under the window from edge to edge and long base in the neighborhood of 39"s roughly if IRC.

6. I'd like to remove the front bumper to experiment with assistive parking up front. Since the rear of my XJ8 has them and a lot of newer model cars have them, it would be nice to see if the bumper after modification with correct items could be used. Bumper can be used as it is the same size. Unfortunately this bumper was not useable for what I'd like to try.

7. I'd like to remove the power window regulators as backups to put away. Are they interchangeable? Part number looks different on one search, others indicate the same. The regulators will work, as the part numbers match up.

8. I'd also like to remove the radiator as his fins have no damage. Literature says it's the same radiator but I need to know for sure. Can I utilize the radiator? YES, radiator is the same. I guess I should have just looked up part numbers on both vehicles lol I

9. Can you replace the XJ8 front grill with the VDP grill? YES

I'm sure most exterior parts of my XJ8 would be interchangeable , as long as one is not the Long wheel base model. If you care to respond please indicate the number that you're responding to and answer in your posts. I've used several auto body replacement parts list for comparison. Thanks in advance to all, Chris aka the newbie with a plan lol

The front fenders are the same length, it is only the rear doors that changed.

Last edited by Zorasmiles; 12-13-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: updated information after research