XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hood/bonnet removal ?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts
Default Hood/bonnet removal ?!

I plan on doing some paint correction on my hood. The air's very pollen saturated here in the lovely south this time of year so I want to remove the hood & do it indoors.

Searched for instructions to remove, to no avail.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

There's two hinges, each with 3 bolts on the hood and 3 bolts on the body. When I did mine I unbolted the 6 bolts at the hood, required realignment after reinstall. Don't know if the hood bolts or the body bolts are the "proper" ones to remove.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
There's two hinges, each with 3 bolts on the hood and 3 bolts on the body. When I did mine I unbolted the 6 bolts at the hood, required realignment after reinstall. Don't know if the hood bolts or the body bolts are the "proper" ones to remove.
how long did the alignment take?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

It was a while back, so I don't remember exactly, think maybe 20 mins? The big thing is to get the hood centered between the side sills(?) at the front, then work at the back near the windshield so that both the latches hook as they should. If it's off center there one won't latch as it should. The rest of my front end body is slightly out of alignment anyway so my front end centering isn't perfect...

I found a trick that helped: snugging up one bolt on each latch after getting it roughly aligned, then trying it a few times to get the back centered correctly, then tightening those bolts and checking again, then tightening the others.

I think if you take the bolts out at the body end instead, you can align with the hood closed? But the front grill has to come off for that, if I remember right. Or possibly the bumper, but I think it was only the grill, though I never tried that.

The following users liked this post:
omgimali (03-25-2017)