XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How to pull seats out of a junkyard XJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Default How to pull seats out of a junkyard XJ

I found some pretty darn nice seats in a yard that I'm hoping to go pick up on Saturday. They are out of a Plas so much better leather then my lowly XJR. Here is the problem. There is no power to 'em and you can't take a battery in (you can take a battery for your drill though so I can use a 18v dewalt to move it to get at the back bolts but it looks a bit more complicated. I tried the battery on a spare seat for the xk and was able to get at the 2 wires for the motor, worked like a champ but it looks as if the seat module is screwed on rather than nuts that you can get at under the seat so getting to the harness for the motor isn't a really good option. Any ideas? Of course I'm not 100% sure they need to be moved but if all the way back they will. Didn't check it when I was there. Place is a few hours away so I don't want to hook up a trailer and go that far and come back emptyhanded.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

battery operated Sawzall, cut the whole pan out around the seat, and then remove them at your leisure at home? I really haven't looked into removing them, but it's an option, even if it's a little drastic

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlzO
battery operated Sawzall, cut the whole pan out around the seat, and then remove them at your leisure at home? I really haven't looked into removing them, but it's an option, even if it's a little drastic
Problem with that is I am down to 1 dewalt battery and rarely use my dewalt stuff anymore so don't really want to buy more. Would probably take 4-5 fully charged batteries to get it out with a sawzall or grinder.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

On the motor on the end opposite the driven cable/shaft there is a plastic plug you can stick a screwdriver or something from your drill into to manually move it, I'll try to get a picture when I get home

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 PM

No need if the xk has the same. I'll have a look in the garage attic tomorrow. That is a whole lot easier. Does it just take a phillips or flathead?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Just took a quick look, it seems like the forward/backward motors have a 12point drive on the end, so whatever size socket that fits on it (8mm? 10 maybe?) should work. there's one on each side, and they're not easy to get to... the motors ahead of them have a square hole in them, you can use those to raise the seat I believe, which will give you a bit more room to work with.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:09 PM

Woo hoo. Lucky day for me. Scored a set of black Vanden Plas Seats complete with rear trays today. Chose those over the ivory ones (my interior is Oatmeal and black) as I thought they would look better. Aside from a few cracks in the drivers seat piping and a bend in the rear cushion from someone trying to pry it up they are near perfect. They even were positioned so I didn't need to try to move 'em. A little leatherique and they will be soft and plush. Best of all for the complete seats and a front turn signal, out the door for $94.00. For anyone needing Ivory seats there are some nice ones at Harry's U Pull It Hazelton PA. A little light wear on the drivers seat, a small green pen mark on that seat and a little grime on some of them. Rear had some black glue from the door card sitting on it but that seemed like it would come off with a little work. My car will be even more two tone now but at least I won't have cracked front seats and a well worn rear.