XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I've got a door sticker & an engine sticker

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I've got a door sticker & an engine sticker

I think.

I'm trying to research this 2000 VDP for a possible purchase.

The good news is there are a lot of pictures and it looks like it's in great shape.

The bad news is that I'm almost certain the tensioners haven't been done and in talking to these guys they only seem to know what's on the vehicle history report and nothing more.

For me, buying it would mean shipping it halfway across the country and, as you can imagine, my biggest fear is spending $10k to get it here, then taking it to a Jag mechanic only to hear, "So, you need to put another $4k into this right now before it blows up on you."

So any advice you have on how I can research this to prevent that would be a huge, huge help.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeP
So any advice you have on how I can research this to prevent that would be a huge, huge help.
Spend $100 or so on a pre-purchase inspection. I had several done when I was looking for my Jag.

Sometimes sellers really don't know anything about a car. Sometimes sellers really don't want to know anything about a car. They want to sell it to make money.

I learned that sometimes sellers "stretch the truth" a little about the cars they are selling, to be kind.

I wouldn't trust anything a seller says about a car that is half way across the country.

Pay a mechanic to go through it before you buy it, not after.
Vector

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM

Right. I'd love to do just that, V.

There has to be a way to do that remotely, no?

This VDP is currently in Philly and I'm in NV. Were I there, or even close, it would be one thing, but as it is I have to essentially do it from afar.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Also, I screwed up and put this in the 300 forum rather than the 308, if a mod could move it, it would be appreciated.

=)

Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 AM

I found some resources for you here: Philadelphia Jaguar Dealers - Find a New or Used Jaguar dealership near Philadelphia, PA - Cars.com

Call or email and see who is the closest one that can do a thorough inspection.

There is also an "Order and Independant Inspection" button just below the price in the Ebay listing.

You could also post a request for an independent mechanic recommendation in the regional or 308 forum.

Good luck.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 05-03-2013 at 06:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JoeP (05-04-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Also, I screwed up and put this in the 300 forum rather than the 308, if a mod could move it, it would be appreciated.

=)
You are moved.

I hope there's a member near to the vendor who can check it out for you.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 05-03-2013 at 05:58 AM.
JoeP (05-04-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

be carefull real carefull. i checked out my own car (2000 xjr) last month that had a good tenn title been here 5-6 yrs or more. after i got it ,and was servicing it i found a paper under the seat that was caught up in motor, so they didn't see it. but now i find out it came from new york. all fittings are rusted and found some frame rust. can't even change fuel filter

JoeP (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Thanks, Jon. I appreciate it. That's good advice.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanks, Jon. I appreciate it. That's good advice.
The "Thanks" button is located on the bottom right of each post. Hit it on the appropriate post if you value the advice you were given.
Vector

Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

From the looks of the pictures it is an honest car. If you put a small deposit down and fly out to see it before sending the balance that would be the best possible scenario. I noticed the clock - symbol is perfect along with the climate control buttons (these get scratched over time and are RARELY touched up by sellers in my experience) and the correct rubber connector between the engine covers is in place which tells me either the car was very well cared for or this seller is not missing any points on preparing it for sale. Either way there were no red flags for me.

JoeP (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 AM

Ha. Jaguar Jon trying to scare the living daylights out of me. Which may be a good thing. I'm just going to leave the slurs alone in the hope the thread doesn't turn sideways on us all.

Good advice, DS. Much appreciated. Love the note about the clock. Really smart.

You guys are all really, really knowledgeable, for a while I'm going to simply be doing my best to keep up. But it's all very appreciated.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Ha. Jaguar Jon trying to scare the living daylights out of me. Which may be a good thing. I'm just going to leave the slurs alone in the hope the thread doesn't turn sideways on us all.
The relevant post has been deleted.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 PM

point i was trying to make is i've bought 4 cars on e-bay. all bad. lost a pile on them. need to check on craigslist for cars close so you can look at them.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguar jon02
point i was trying to make is i've bought 4 cars on e-bay. all bad. lost a pile on them. need to check on craigslist for cars close so you can look at them.
That's exactly my thinking, and the advice I gave in the other thread. I drove for HOURS to look at the cars that were described as "mint", "flawless", etc. only to find a POS that someone was trying to unload on the unsuspecting buyer.

The point is,.....they all look great in pictures! Small ("tell tale") signs are not visible unless you are there. Buying across the country was never in my options, as I stated before. Craigslist is a good advice (both of my X308s came from there), there is also Autotrader within 100 miles or so, from my ZIP, and I am not even opposed to Ebay (also within driving distance). As I was in the service for many years, I have friends that I trust all over the country, and they could check it out for me, but they don't have the required knowledge to look for stuff, that just us (the nuts, or afficionados!) would know where to look for.

Stay within the driving distance, or.......pay for the airfare, deducting the cost from the offered cash every time you go and look at one (3-4 flights at 500 each = your offer on the car you will eventually like, should be that much less!). Or you might just be lucky, and the first one you fly to look at, will be "the one" to take home.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM

Yeah, for me quite honestly Craigslist hasn't been to fruitful. I feel like I've hit it relatively hard, too. LA, SD, Phoenix, Denver, etc. Not seeing a lot within driving distance for me.

Also, I'm so new to the Jag world that I guarantee I don't have the eye for exactly what to look for yet.

But in a perfect world, yes, I would be able to see & drive it before putting my money into it.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jaguar jon02
Caveat emptor
Vector

Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM

just for the fun of it i checked craigslist for your area. i found 132 xj8's close by (100 miles) for 5000 or less. you could look everyday for the next 4 months.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM

I appreciate that, jon.

Now if you take that list and narrow it to VDPs before the year 2003.

Then exclude blue, gold, brown, red and white Jags. Oh, and the purple one here in Vegas that they wanted $17k for.

Then exclude all black interiors (Vegas heat, don't cha know) and ones over 100k in miles.

That list will be roughly what my CL options have been so far.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah, for me quite honestly Craigslist hasn't been to fruitful. I feel like I've hit it relatively hard, too. LA, SD, Phoenix, Denver, etc. Not seeing a lot within driving distance for me.

Also, I'm so new to the Jag world that I guarantee I don't have the eye for exactly what to look for yet.

But in a perfect world, yes, I would be able to see & drive it before putting my money into it.
Did you try this: Search All Craigslist Cities

Will let you search the entire Craigslist, very easy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tirefriar:
JoeP (05-09-2013), plums (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Did you try this: Search All Craigslist Cities

Will let you search the entire Craigslist, very easy.
Someone was bound to do it

Quick Reply: I've got a door sticker & an engine sticker