XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar X308 stability control fail (no abs light failure)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X308 stability control fail (no abs light failure)

Hello People!

I installed another motor in My X308 and now he shows a stability control fail in the dashboard, i've read a lot and often comes it with an ABS light on, but i have only the stability fail showing up in the dash (no abs light burning), what is this error and how can i Fix it, any suggestions? The car is by this fail also in fail safe mode. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Last edited by Martyn Musch; 02-01-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I see a lot of folks have viewed your post but haven't had any suggestions.
Lets give it a shot and see if we can help you out.
First we need a bit more information. What model and year x308 are we working with?
Have you put a scanner on it and if so what codes did you get? If you haven't that is going to have to be the first step. We need the codes.
In the mean time you might try a the following:
1. Do a hard reset. Remove the negative cable and hold it against the positive cable for a few seconds. Reconnect and start up the vehicle and see if it helps.
2. Check and make sure the ground cable from the engine to the chassis is connected and the connections are clean and tight. The cable is on the right side of the vehicle near the front wheel.

Get back with us with the information and we can figure out where to go from here.

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Thank you very much!! I appreciate that you help me!!
I Bought a 1998 X308 3.2 V8 but unfortunately after 2500 km the motor had a defect crank shaft so I had to replace the engine. I removed the defect motor and build in a a good used engine (year 1999) with 91000 miles. After the install, the car runs again but the engine shows a stability control fail in the dashboard and the engine goes in fail safe mode. I read codes with an Maxiscan 509 OBD scanner and I read an P1229 code and P1224 code. Also after deleting the codes, the codes come in after just 1 seconds again. I performed a hard reset (battery) but the codes come in again.

Thank you in advance for your answer and help!!

Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Both of those codes have to do with the throttle body. Did the new engine come with a throttle body? did you use it or the one from the original engine? Wiring from new or old motor?

Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 AM

I had to use the complete wiring of the old motor on the new motor (because the new motor had the wires cut off, the owner needed just the automatic gearbox) and i had to use my old throttle body from the old motor, because the throttle body of the new motor was damaged, so i replaced my old throttle body on the new motor.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

The codes you have generally indicate the most likely cause is an open circuit.

You need to remove the connector and make sure that the terminals are clean and bright and also not bent. Also check the mating terminals.

Lastly, You need to make sure that the wring from the TPS isn't damaged.

Basically the ECM is telling you the throttle position sensor isn't connected.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 AM

Thank you very much for your answers, i cleaned everything, connectors, throttle body etc., checked air leaks, reset all the codes, now i only have a p1229 code left what can i do now? oh btw the message stability control also still in dashboard (no abs light comes up fortunately). When i give a little throttle with the pedal than the motor shuts off and i have to restart the engine again! Oh and when I disconnect the throttle position sensor, the engine stops running too.

greetings!

Last edited by Martyn Musch; 02-04-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

If you haven't found any problems with wiring then the next step is that the throttle body needs repair.
A lot of folks have had good success with ASI for the throttle body repairs. The stability control indication and the codes all point to a throttle body problem.
Below is a link to their web site.

Automotive Scientific Inc. | Quality Rebuilt Automotive Electronics | Rogersville, TN

Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 AM

I have replaced another throttle body, still codes P1229 code and P1224 code appear, i hoped another throttle body was the solution, what to do next? Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Hello Martyn.

What is your current status with the P1229 and throttle body?

Thank you, Bob G.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Hi Bob,

I tried everything, I solved it, the solution was very EXTRAORDINARY! I tried at first everything, every possible solution, nothing solved. At last it was very frustrating, i measured the cables from Ecu to all the sensors and connectors, the fluke Ohm multimeter beeped at all the cables connections on resistance, so i thought all the cables were good (ohm, beeping sound on cables, no broken cables). At last i measured one cable had a difference ohm than the other cables, stripped the complete cable and YES!! CABLE HAD CONNECTION BUT WAS BROKEN AND JUST A LITTLE 10% OF THE CABLE WAS CONNECTED, so the ohm meter multimeter beeped sound but had too less connection, wired a new cables and reset Ecu with the battery and problem solved!!

It was very frustrating, spenderen days on every solution, from - connections on the chassis to throttle body repair especcialy when i thought that the cable / wire was good, because the multimeter sounds that the cables had ohm