XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Lower bushing rear dampers/shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Lower bushing rear dampers/shock absorbers

Hi there!

After changing my rear anti-sway bar endlinks to solve a "plocking" sound, the sound has gone but a new one has come which seems to be the lower bushings or the rear shock absorbers.

As far as I have seen, they are kind of like a "balljoint" but at the same time a "bushing". So a weird combination...

I've seen that they are sold individually, but there are some oddities with them... Partnumber is CCC6782 from Jag... But €75 + Vat is a tad over what I ever would pay for something like that. So after searching, I've found 2 choices:

1. CCC6782# from SNG (around €45 + VAT) - generic part for X300 and X308
2. C2D4013* from SNG (around €15 + VAT) - successed part for X300, X308, X350, XK, etc.

I find it hard to understand, that the X350 has the same part as the rear and front setup are entirely different. The XK, well, if X100 okay, but still...

Has anyone had any experience with this "*****"? I'm tempted to instead buy a set of used but good shocks instead...

Cheers

Damien

Old 10-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Couple years back Sean suggested that the OEM Bilsteins hardly wear out: it's the mounts that go bad. Since it takes the same level of effort to drop the axle and remove the old shock to press in new mounts and replace the uppers, most opt to go for new shocks as well. They are expensive, All Shocks in US has best prices.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I just went through this but I have CATS and the shocks were rebuilt by Bilstien (located locally to me and I know them) and they were actually in fine shape. I replaced the lower bushings on them as one was trashed.

If they are same, replaced with Beck/Arnley 101-7517. I paid $62 shipped for both sides, can find them or comparable bushing anywhere. Simple press in.

Replaced lower and upper bushings a month ago. I've found a new noise so back out it came. Here is where things are of right now:

Name:  2015-10-25%2013.15.37.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  151.2 KB

The whole process is fairly straightforward, just time consuming.

The following users liked this post:
DB28704 (07-24-2016)
Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

For whatever reason those bushings are expensive - I have never spent time looking/ comparing them to others.

The shocks do play an important role in the rear.

Maybe Col. Sandurz can comet since all back apart. What county made .. etc.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Damien,

great to see you here too :-)

I went through the replacement of the lower rear damper bushings as well. But unlike you, I have CATS. However the bushings are the same - CCC6782.
I ordered my bushings via e**y from a UK based dealer (jaguarsparesnorth....) for around 20 € per bushing. I replaced the bushings in august this year and I'm still very happy with them.

Since my XJR got massive springs, I had to use a solid spring compressor (see attached picture). Pressing the bushings out and the new in was easy. As the old bushes fell into pieces while pressing them out, I could use them as an adaptor/guide to press the new bushings in. When pressing in you should avoid to put pressure on the guide bushing for the damper bolt (red marking) - so the outer ring of the old bush is very helpful. But first I had to remove the rubber gaiter for the pressing process. Afterwards it's easy to put it back on the bushing, even though it's a little fiddly.

I did the replacement without removing the wishbone from the hub carrier. After removing the brake disc, I compressed the spring and unbolted the shock absorber from the wishbone. As shown in JTIS, I retracted the damper through the wishbone aperture and locked it temporarily with a bolt through the spring coils and shock absorber lower bush. After unbolting the spring upper mounting (4 nuts) from the body and securing the mounting to the spring using a tension belt, I could remove the whole spring+upper mounting+damper assembly from the car.
However I'll go with removing the hub carrier from the wishbone next time...probably that's way easier to get the spring+upper mounting+damper assembly out of the wheelarch.

Then, you can remove the damper and start with the bushings. The spring is compressed during the whole disassembling and assembling process. Watch out to use a quite solid and heavy duty spring compressor. The spring compressor that I used had discs with barbs to prevent the spring coils from slipping off the compressor.

BTW, I replaced the nuts from the spring upper mounting (JZH100034) as well, since they had been in a bad condition and cheap to get (~1€ per nut @ jaguarclassicparts).

Best regards,

Alexander

Attached Thumbnails Lower bushing rear dampers/shock absorbers-spring_compressor.jpg   Lower bushing rear dampers/shock absorbers-lower_rear_damper_bushing.jpg   Lower bushing rear dampers/shock absorbers-lower_rear_damper_bushing_press.jpg  

Last edited by xjr2014_de; 10-27-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Or you're doing it the big way and take the chance to renew a few more things... ;-) --> see attachment

Attached Files