XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

LT1 or LS1 swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not looking for an argument about the value of a chevy small block, but I think you may be underestimating the quality of the 4.0 or 4.2, depending on your car model year. These are not the Jags of the past, with the engine problems, fuel injection problems, etc. They are actually quite high performance, with great reliability. You probably won't get that impression from this forum, as we all talk about the problems we have, but we are tinkerers....we look for problems. I know people who do nothing but an oil change a year, and an air filter every other year, and drive their cars for 180k. Take it for a drive.....you might be suprised at the horsepower, and the way it gets to the ground. If you decide to keep it as is, you will have the benefit of pretty sophisticated computer integration and diagonosis.....I think the reason there are not any kits out there is because there is no demand. The factory setup is "what you would do...."

Old 08-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FCrubyFD
My father has owned this '98 xj8 for 7 years. At 55k, a t-chain tensioner snapped. Both heads were re-built, and he may have done the bottom end. The trans is a sealed unit, no fluid change. It's primarily the trans that concerns me. If any of you fellas can diffuse the apprehension I have about the trans, I will purchase it. I'm a career Toyota tech at a large dealership, I should be able to remedy anything that may confront me. Lemme know what you guys think about the life expectancy of the drivetrain, please. Thanks.
There was a problem with secondary timing chain tensioners prematurely failing but if they have been replaced then the updated version of the tensioners are now in place and the work has already been done for you. They're really no other issues mechanically with your XJ8. Just put good oil in it, keep up with the proper service intervals, don't overheat the engine and you got yourself a reliable car with many years/miles left in it.

The trannies are not sealed units. Easily serviceable... You can do a transmission service with in a 1/2 hour but a special dipstick is required. It's a Mercedes sourced tranny that was used in various models of the E-class. You can buy a gasket/ filter kit from a local Benz dealer as well as the special ATF that is required.

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 08-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

You can't swap out the drive train without disabling alot of electronics on the car, you won't find a conversion kit to help you, you can't service a ZF transmission by following inaccurate instructions for servicing an MB transmission, and I couldn't learn a damn thing about Toyotas by taking opinion polls on a message board full of amateurs. I'd acquire the factory information and start reading.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I would recommend against the swap for the following reasons:

1. It would be cheaper to fix the known issues like the cam chain tensioners and the water pump.

2. Typically the "lumps" value is significantly less than a nomal Jaguar.

3. As JagtechOhio mentioned earlier, the electronics and transmission interfaces are really tricky. Likely you will have a lot more trouble sorting out those than just fixing the known issues of the early 4.0 engines.

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 AM

Sorry there guy's, I was thinking XJR for some reason, here is a step by step how on getting the correct transmission serviced in your XJ8:

REMOVAL

Raise the vehicle for access.
Drain the transmission fluid. NOTE: This procedure will not remove residual fluid from the torque converter. WARNING: TRANSMISSION FLUID MAY CAUSE SEVERE BURNS, ENSURE THAT ALL SAFETY PROCEDURES ARE OBSERVED AND THAT THE RECEPTACLE FOR WASTE HAS SUFFICIENT CAPACITY.

Carefully remove the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid.

Refit the drain plug and tighten to the specified torque figure. Use a new 0-ring.
INSTALLATION

Remove the fluid level / filler plug.
Using a syringe dedicated to transmission fluid only (not used for any other type of oil or fluids), inject transmission fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: It is essential that only the specified fluid is used. Wait until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.

Fit, but do not tighten the plug.
Prepare PDU (at the base station).
Install the appropriate disk and switch ON.
Select the vehicle specification - ENTER.
From Engineering Tools select Toolbox - ENTER.
From Toolbox select Powertrain - ENTER.
Connect MPA and download cable to PDU and base station.
Select Data logger - ENTER.
Select Transmission - ENTER.
Disconnect download cable.
Connect MPA to PDU.
Connect PDU (at the vehicle).
Connect MPA cable to the vehicle diagnostic socket - ENTER.
Energize the vehicle ignition - ENTER.
From the menu select Transmission oil temperature (TOT) - ENTER.
Check that the fluid temperature is <30°C .
From above.

NOTE: Ensure that the TCM is connected and functioning correctly. Select Park and start the engine.

Cycle the gear selector.
From P to D.
From D to R.
From R to P.
From below.
Adjust the transmission fluid level.

Remove the filler / level plug.

Inject fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: The fluid temperature MUST NOT exceed 50°C . Wait for the flow of fluid to reduce to a trickle (for at least 1 minute).

Refit the filler / level plug and tighten to the specified torque figure.
Check for leaks and remove spilt fluid.
Shut down and disconnect PDU.REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

I have also included a Technical Service Bulletin on this

V8 Sedan & XK8

DATE
9/97

307-02

MODEL

1997 MY-ON XK8 Range
1998 MY-ON V8 Sedan NA

VIN

001001-ON
812256-ON

Checking Fluid Level -
ZF 5HP 24 E -
Revised Procedure

Issue:

This bulletin provides a more detailed procedure for checking the transmission fluid level.

Action:

To check the transmission fluid level accurately, proceed as follows:

1. Position the vehicle on a level surface and let the vehicle stand for at least 2 minutes.

2. At the PDU base station make the following menu selections: DIAGNOSTICS, TOOLBOX, POWERTRAIN, DATALOGGER. Connect the PDU to the vehicle and ensure that the transmission is not in limp-home mode and that no DTCs are stored.

3. On the PDU, make the following menu selections: DATALOGGER, TRANSMISSION, TOT (transmission oil
temperature). Check that the transmission temperature is below 30°C if ambient temperatures allow. Allow to cool if necessary.

NOTE: 30-40°C is the optimum temperature range for checking and filling transmission fluid. The range of 30-50°C is acceptable: Checking with a fluid temperature of 30°C represents the maximum fluid fill. Checking with a fluid temperature of 50°C represent the minimum fluid fill. Once the engine is running, the transmission fluid heats up rapidly.

4. Have the ATF filling: container prepared so you can add fluid immediately after opening the plug. Start the engine with the transmission in the Park position.

5. Verify that the idle speed in between 600-750 RPM.

6. Move the selector lever from the Park position to the Drive range and pause for 3 seconds.

7. Move the selector lever from the Drive range to the Reverse position and pause for 3 seconds.

8. Move the selector lever from the Reverse position to the Park positions.

9. Ensure that the fluid temperature has not risen excessively and immediately raise the vehicle and remove the fluid level/filler plug.

10. Fill with Esso ATF LT 71141 until the fluid begins to overflow from the fluid level/filler plug.

11. Wait at least one minute until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.

12. Reinstall the plug and check the PDU to verify that the fluid temperature has not exceeded 50°C.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 AM

Maybe you could loan him your PDU. And maybe you should post all the information on how to change the filter too, since a lubrication expert would frown on the efficacy of pumping five litres of fresh fluid into a transmission with a contaminated filter and five quarts of old fluid still inside.

Then you can explain to me how you do all that in a half hour.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
Maybe you could loan him your PDU. And maybe you should post all the information on how to change the filter too, since a lubrication expert would frown on the efficacy of pumping five litres of fresh fluid into a transmission with a contaminated filter and five quarts of old fluid still inside.

Then you can explain to me how you do all that in a half hour.
I never said I could do a tranny service on an XJ8 in a half hour. On my XJR, well, that is what I was referring to.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 AM

Oh I see, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I saw the logo and all them official looking letters on top of your post, and thought you knew what you were talking about.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 AM

Oh I see, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I saw the logo and all them official looking letters on top of your post, and thought you knew what you were talking about.
You sarcasm is so discreet I almost didn't catch it haha...

Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 AM

First accurate post you made tonight, kudos.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I think I'll subscribe to this one.

Whats a PDU, and an MPA?

Increase fluid till a trickle...that I can do!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Methinks you missed the party.

PDU= Portable Diagnostic Unit, supplanted in later nomenclature by Portable Test Unit

MPA, Never seen it. From context, I would guess "Multi Point Adapter". Might also have something to do with Jerry Lewis.

What do you suppose USDM-STi-FTW stands for? I all sounds so important, it gives me little goosebumps.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Methinks you missed the party.

PDU= Portable Diagnostic Unit, supplanted in later nomenclature by Portable Test Unit

MPA, Never seen it. From context, I would guess "Multi Point Adapter". Might also have something to do with Jerry Lewis.

What do you suppose USDM-STi-FTW stands for? I all sounds so important, it gives me little goosebumps.
LOL, yes MPA (multi point adapter) is Jaguar's nomenclature for the cable that connects the PDU to the OBD port. Of course Jag calls the the OBD port the DLC, (data link connector), oh brother.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Hey Waz,

I checked your old posts a little bit last night, you are on the case. Are you an owner or are you also in the biz? It stands to reason we see eye to eye... you can probably guess that I am a firm believer in your signature line.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM

USDM= Uncle San Diego Mac??? That would figure.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi JagtechOhio,

Did a Google search and USDM-STi-FTW appears to be a Subaru designation. Beyond that, I wouldn't know what it refers to.

By the way, are you boning up on the intracies of small block Chevys? If anyone thinks about doing a Chevy engine swap, they should just go for a 502 or 572 big block crate motor and just do the deal for $20K or so. By the time they work out all various connection issues that's probably close.

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Mike, That's a whole bunch of foreign car talk to me. You're right about Mr. Initial man, it appears he is using acronyms for some little ricer boy car. Those Subies are really cute, you can buy blue silicone coolant hoses for them and everything! Go Speed Ricer, Go!

I thought the name was acronyms for some list of professional accreditations.

Maybe I should use JCT ASE LTI PCDM JCNA, former member of SCCA, CART

That's Jaguar Certified Technician, Automotive Service Excellence, Lincoln Technical Institute, Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors, Jaguar Clubs of North America, Sports Car Club of America, Championship Auto Racing Teams

None of which means anything if I'm talking out of the wrong hole. I'll leave that to the experts.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Being an LT1 guy , I must stress that LT1 has some small issues too . Cracked and rusted manifold bolts , leaking water pump and hence Opti Spark failure are one of those but I don't ever believe that those are big deals though .
As for the facts, it is really unnecessary to swap the engine if you ask me

Quick Reply: LT1 or LS1 swaps?