XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Muppet Labs strikes again. 0-100 10.4 seconds @ 18-19 psi

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Exhilarating stuff these top fuel dragsters, imagining what is happening technically to accelerate is just mind boggling considering what we are doing.

Just saw this yesterday on the uk forum, maybe of topic as it’s not as fast or quick accelerating or muppet style, more a nice country drive with bikes thru quiet towns on an island (at legal speeds of course):

Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 193 Posts

I "totally" used to watch that show as a kid!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Just love the country side pictures, here are some nice ones as well:

Sorry if I am to off topic, but these are much nicer videos to whatch then if I would make some ;-)

Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Show us a video of you doing a 0-100 mph run

Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
Show us a video of you doing a 0-100 mph run
But its illegal here to do such a thing...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
But its illegal here to do such a thing...
What is another way to call a cat a kitten?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Avos, Then how about a 0-60 mph? Or 60-90 or something that shows the acceleration? Pretty please?

Last edited by WaterDragon; 01-10-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water,

I have been trolling your posts for a while now and figured I would posy. I plan on buying a 2001 XJR shortly and admire your build. I love hot rodding cars but the fact this is the only body style XJR that cant be tuned scares the sh-it out of me. I just cant imagine that the car is accounting for the added air correctly. My guesse is based on stock dyno runs I have seen is that the factory made these so pig rich at WOT that when adding more boost is dropping fueling at least closer to 11 to 1 from the 10 to 1 baseline pulls I have seen.

If tehse came with Wide band O2's ( I dont think they do) I would be a bit more of a beliver but I am scared to death of trying to hot rod this thing.

So long story short have you looked into this product for tuning?

LINDSEY RACING MAFTERBURNER

You could have a boost table setup read off an independent MAP that would insure atleast your fueling was right. I am pretty sure finding a tuner that could work with this product would be pretty easy. Timing however would still be left stock and I can see how the METH is keeping your engine in one piece by raising the octane rating and lowering IAT's.

I hope to check out your car in person as it is the most impressive actual performing XJR I have seen on this forum.

P.S. Did you get a Dyno after all the mods without spraying meth? Iwould be interested in seeing what the AFR is.

The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bignose94015
Water,

I have been trolling your posts for a while now and figured I would posy. I plan on buying a 2001 XJR shortly and admire your build. I love hot rodding cars but the fact this is the only body style XJR that cant be tuned scares the sh-it out of me. I just cant imagine that the car is accounting for the added air correctly. My guesse is based on stock dyno runs I have seen is that the factory made these so pig rich at WOT that when adding more boost is dropping fueling at least closer to 11 to 1 from the 10 to 1 baseline pulls I have seen.

If tehse came with Wide band O2's ( I dont think they do) I would be a bit more of a beliver but I am scared to death of trying to hot rod this thing.

So long story short have you looked into this product for tuning?

LINDSEY RACING MAFTERBURNER

You could have a boost table setup read off an independent MAP that would insure atleast your fueling was right. I am pretty sure finding a tuner that could work with this product would be pretty easy. Timing however would still be left stock and I can see how the METH is keeping your engine in one piece by raising the octane rating and lowering IAT's.

I hope to check out your car in person as it is the most impressive actual performing XJR I have seen on this forum.

P.S. Did you get a Dyno after all the mods without spraying meth? Iwould be interested in seeing what the AFR is.

Hi there,

That looks like a good product.

I did try on the dyno without meth and only lost 7 hp. So with the small increase in boost the meth only gave 7 hp. I expect the gain will be bigger with my now 18 psi.

I am currently waiting for my supercharger to return from a minor fix. When I had it rebuilt the guy put in a solid coupler which, as it heated up and flexed a little, made a clicking sound as the rotor was hitting the case. The fix was to send it to Steig and have them machine .010 off the case and go back to the stock type coupler. It should be back to my house this Sat or Monday, and I'll have it on the car about 1.5 hours after it arrives.

As soon as I determine all is well, I will schedule for a dyno so I can then report on what the AFRs and power outputs are with and without:
Water/meth
Kenne Bell boost a pump

First run will be with water meth and the 17.5v boost a pumps running, then, as I assume it will be as you say "pig rich" I will start backing off the other stuff (and try injecting water only vs "boost juice" to see where the AFR goes. I'll keep it on the richer side to be safe, but I would be happier with 12:1 than 11:1 . Yes, with approx 13 psi I was running about 11:1 AFR as can be see on my video dyno (this was my last set up with approx 13 psi,) and I am now running a solid 18 so it will be interesting to see what mr dyno says. Here is the approx 13 psi dyno This car ran a 13.2 @ 105 in the real world on street tires. The #s are from a Dynaflow which multiplied by 1.22 would = a dynojet, so this 299.4 x 1.22 would = 365 RWHP on a dyno jet

If you are coming to the next bay area Jag get together which can be seen here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...ry-run-107997/ , I should be there and you are welcome to take a ride in the car and check it out first hand.

After getting the dyno numbers, I'm pretty much calling the car done enough for me. The car is somewhere in the mid to high 12s in every day street condition, on street tires with a full trunk of junk.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...andings-84783/

Last edited by WaterDragon; 01-08-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Whitecatt
What is another way to call a cat a kitten?
Nah, that wouldn't change my mind I’m afraid, sorry.

But if you really want to get some idea; although I have more power than SteveM’s XJR in which he did a 11.9 Sec 1/4 mile run, my car is heavier, so would probably be in the neighborhood. The TS kit isn’t maxed out here either, dive into KB’s website I would say, that will give some idea of what these units are capable of.

Anyway this is about WD car here, so am leaning back and look at the dyno and 1/4 mile results, there have already been 385rwhp figures (iirc) for the eaton setups, so I guess it should be around that somewhere, lets see.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

WD: Is that track you run 13.2 downhill one or just a camera illusion?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there,

That looks like a good product.
I am currently waiting for my supercharger to return from a minor fix. When I had it rebuilt the guy put in a solid coupler which, as it heated up and flexed a little, made a clicking sound as the rotor was hitting the case. The fix was to send it to Steig and have them machine .010 off the case and go back to the stock type coupler. It should be back to my house this Sat or Monday, and I'll have it on the car about 1.5 hours after it arrives.

As soon as I determine all is well, I will schedule for a dyno so I can then report on what the AFRs and power outputs are with and without:
Water/meth
Kenne Bell boost a pump

First run will be with water meth and the 17.5v boost a pumps running, then, as I assume it will be as you say "pig rich" I will start backing off the other stuff (and try injecting water only vs "boost juice" to see where the AFR goes. I'll keep it on the richer side to be safe, but I would be happier with 12:1 than 11:1 . Yes, with approx 13 psi I was running about 11:1 AFR as can be see on my video dyno (this was my last set up with approx 13 psi,) and I am now running a solid 18 so it will be interesting to see what mr dyno says. Here is the approx 13 psi dyno This car ran a 13.2 @ 105 in the real world on street tires. The #s are from a Dynaflow which multiplied by 1.22 would = a dynojet, so this 299.4 x 1.22 would = 365 RWHP on a dyno jet 2002 Jaguar XJR Dynaflow dyno - YouTube

2002 Jaguar XJR @ 13 psi quarter Mile 1/4 13.233 105.34 mph - YouTube

If you are coming to the next bay area Jag get together which can be seen here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...ry-run-107997/ , I should be there and you are welcome to take a ride in the car and check it out first hand.

After getting the dyno numbers, I'm pretty much calling the car done enough for me. The car is somewhere in the mid to high 12s in every day street condition, on street tires with a full trunk of junk.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...andings-84783/

I look forward to seeing your results and Hopefully meeting you at the GTG.

On a side note for AFR on a boosted aplication I would suggest tuning for 11.5-1 or richer. 12-1 on a boosted application is slightly on the leaner side.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
Nah, that wouldn't change my mind I’m afraid, sorry.

But if you really want to get some idea; although I have more power than SteveM’s XJR in which he did a 11.9 Sec 1/4 mile run, my car is heavier, so would probably be in the neighborhood. The TS kit isn’t maxed out here either, dive into KB’s website I would say, that will give some idea of what these units are capable of.

Anyway this is about WD car here, so am leaning back and look at the dyno and 1/4 mile results, there have already been 385rwhp figures (iirc) for the eaton setups, so I guess it should be around that somewhere, lets see.

I do not find it credible that you have never tested and don't know your 0-60 time.

I'm suspecting after looking at these posts that you do know and that your car is not noticeably faster than my car on street tires 0-60, but I imagine the 0-100 would be noticeable. On slicks, there would be a huge difference, as well as when strapped down to a dyno, but again, not likely much difference in a 0-60 head to head drag race on street tires.

More likely you have driven you car a few times since assembling it and you do know how it performs, and that it does not yield a fast enough time to post a comparative time to mine.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I do not find it credible that you have never tested and don't know your 0-60 time.

I'm suspecting after looking at these posts that you do know and that your car is not noticeably faster than my car on street tires 0-60, but I imagine the 0-100 would be noticeable. On slicks, there would be a huge difference, as well as when strapped down to a dyno, but again, not likely much difference in a 0-60 head to head drag race on street tires.

More likely you have driven you car a few times since assembling it and you do know how it performs, and that it does not yield a fast enough time to post a comparative time to mine.
No point in speculating, you have just no idea.

I have often said that 0-60 is hard, you need to warm up your tires, and learn how to throttle for a take off, believe me that is hard with more then 500 rwhp, not something I train on as itysa also hard on the drivetrain. I drive for fun not for the numbers as you seem to be hooked on. The 295 Michelin Super Sports with the OS Giken Diff are a hell of a combo to take off actually, trust me.

I may do it once to see what it can be, but not for someone that without knowing me has discredited/mistrusted me without any basis for that, so that is your problem.

If I do it, it will also not be a silly video, which isn't accurate, I would use a gtech device or something.

No go out and have fun, and do you number thing

Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there you have it WaterDragon,

You might as well give up on ever getting any of what you define "real actual performance proof" from AVOS.

By default, though, I do believe you are correct in assuming he knows that, in the "real world" as you call it, that he has not been able to obtain a fast enough performance to shoot a video and post it here.

Otherwise he would post a video here and shut you up. But he hasn't because he can't, why else would he suffer taking all this abuse?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Avos, I was just trying to get your competitive juices flowing. I did see XJR-99s video launch...VERY impressive! I assume yours is similar.

I was just trying to bait you into showing us something <----I am a master of this (that is a punny joke, ask someone to explain it to you)

The point I was making was that we have never seen what your set up can do. Clearly your car with a limited slip / 2 driving wheels and much more power vs my one legger would be faster 0- whatever.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 01-10-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

To answer your question xjr-99, the 1/4 mile track for my Blue XJR video has a steep incline at the end. I do not know if it is level or not, but can only guess.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 01-08-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Huh? What? Fast?

Muppet Labs strikes again.  0-100 10.4 seconds @ 18-19 psi-img_20131226_101037.jpg

Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Now THAT is what I am talking about!

Boost in a bottle!

How much you sprayin? 75 Hp shot?

How much meth?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Just 75 on the nitrous, and I forget the size of the injector for the meth. I want to wait till it warms up until I try it out though. From what Ive read the nitrous and meth play very well with each other so let's see if I can get mid 12s

Quick Reply: Muppet Labs strikes again. 0-100 10.4 seconds @ 18-19 psi