XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Coachlines On Old Wings.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question New Coachlines On Old Wings.

After replacing both front wings last summer, both in the right colour and about £100 each from eBaY, I thought it time to have the rear arches sorted out.

I did try in the autumn, but my go to bodywork man was ill and I never got around to it until winter had arrived. Alas, he succumbed to his illness (RIP Les), and the back arches got put on the back-burner.

FFWD to June. Got the car booked in and after a time in a Golf diseasel, got the Jaag back. As stated during the estimate stage 'I won't be able to do your coach lines', which didn't bother me too much as i. the n/s front wing is from a Daimler, ii. the o/s front wing can have either the double lower lines, or single upper line lined up, but not both.

So this week I decided to come up with a cost effective if non-original, solution.

Three rolls of pinstripe tape have arrived and I have to decide which ones to use, to i. put lines on the rear arches, ii. cover the extra thick Daimler line, and ii. cover the fading upper line of the o/s wing.

The arch panels were about £30 each from SNG and both rear bumper brackets were replaced too (about £60 from SNG too).

Attached images show the state of the o/s front wing before replacement, o/s rear arch area after good powerwash, and the old n/s wing with the coach line selection roughly affixed.

Attached Thumbnails New Coachlines On Old Wings.-franks-before-2-.jpg   New Coachlines On Old Wings.-dsc_0715.jpg   New Coachlines On Old Wings.-old-wing-pin-stripes.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 01:29 PM

I'm edging towards the upper black/lower silver one.

If you (I) put the black line right up to the body crease it looks like a shadow, unless looking dead-on like in the photograph, and the silver line follows the existing line almost exactly.

Same 'measurements' apply to the upper blue/lower silver, but it draws attention away from the crease.

On the car, I think the black/dark blue/light blue is the weakest choice.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Driver's side done with the black/silver lines, bit of a smudge near the door as to get the crease and lower lines aligned I had to move the wing up, which put the existing faded line between the black and silver tape. A bit of cut and polishing effort should remove the visible excess.

Attached Thumbnails New Coachlines On Old Wings.-dsc_0010-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Huntervision (07-13-2017)