XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A Nightmare on Jag Street!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice welding! What kind of welder are you using there?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

@Rocklandjag , if you have all the tools at hand you can do both sides in a few days ... it took me longer then that as i had to investigate(and hessitate.. ) a lot.

@Mark , thanks , Still learning
I used a Cebora Revolution Combi MIG welder

Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Popeye68,

Apologies for delayed reply to your advice.

Thank you for sharing photos of your own experiences. Your repair work is to be commended!

I've now had time to cut back most of the rot and I'm quietly confident that the underside of box section is sound. Both inside and outside, so I may have caught this just in time.

I'll hopefully have time to cut back a little further over the weekend and post some photos for any second opinions out there.

Regards

Chris

Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard thomas
So, anyway....

Started work on the Jaaag today, front suspension bush and balljoint change...the knock from the front left was REALLY starting to annoy me....

I have put a small story board together for you all so that you can scream with me....

Before work commenced....me slightly annoyed with car...yes, that's me! Ahem...

Time to get car in the garage....or garaaaaage (same pronounciation as per Jaaaaag....) up on stands.

Wheels off and a quick jetwash......

Scream now!

R/H side, behind shock...I knew there was a little rust in there..

Scream more now!

R/H footwell....this going to take longer that the 2 days I was thinking of...

Moving onto L/H side.....Scream loud as possible and shake hands in air hysterically!

Found some evidence of a terrible previous repair in there....bit of hard poking showed the truth....R/H footwell not so bad.....worst is over now....settle back down....just cry for me instead....

So....it's just lucky my trusty Mig welder is sat next to the car.....

Anyway, for better access I thought I should whip the wings off....no more surprises, not bad in fact...

Suprising amount of wet crap up where the wing meets the inner wing....but no rot there amazingly!

So, 2 hours of work and 3 hours of drinking tea sat looking at it and here we are.

So...if anyone is interested I will post a photo diary over the next couple of days of the subframe being dropped, and the welding repairs....to be perfectly honest I am quite looking forward to it....after this work the Jaaag will be Purrfect :-)

Excuse the photo quality, had to use my phone :-)

If anyone that is slightly religious could pray for me, that would be nice ;-)....got work on Wednsday and really don't want to get back in the Landrover....
Hello Richard,
Many thanks for your excellent job on the XJ8,
I have for many years,<25> a XJ6-C and MK2,and have lots of work done end sold the cars 10 years ago,but...now I have a X308 and thinking no rust problems with modern Jaguars more,the folder tels all hollow places are wax treated,and sure this car I have is garage stalled for all years,but I must remove the plastic innerfenders to see how it is......
greetings from Holland!!!