XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Parts car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parts car

So, I've got a lot of parts on hand (bleed hoses, aluminum thermostat housing, new thermostat) and in transit (bottom radiator hose) and will be putting them in soon. The old cat needs new front and rear seats, the gear indicator panel and some other interior parts. I've seen on copart a jag with what looks to be a perfect interior. If I can get it for a reasonable price and get it home, it seems that would be a great way to get all those interior parts. The pics look like the interior is nearly pristine. Does anyone have experience with copart or other auctions in buying parts cars?

Old 06-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Until your forum post I had never heard of copart, but I agree that finding a parts car with decent interior may be the best way to go financially regarding fixing a deteriorated interior. The hard part is finding a parts car with a decent interior, usually by the time they get to a parts-car stage the interior has often been equally used/abused. But with some diligent searching you may be able to find a car that was "retired early" due to catastrophic mechanical troubles, but still has a good interior.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Just searched copart for the heck of it, there's a 1999 base 2 hours from me that looks to be mint seats, but no mention of trim codes. It's gold, I have the VIN anyone know a way to deduce the trim code from the VIN ?!

Edit :

Never mind found it, AGD. Oh well I don't need new seats anyways just some TLC & dye lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-20-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Until your forum post I had never heard of copart,....
Copart...https://www.copart.com/... has been around for a number of years now and are located all over the US. They sometimes have 3-4 locations in places like Dallas, Atlanta or other large population areas....they are also in small towns. Be aware, many of their auctions require a license, but they do have ones that don't.

They are linked with Wrecked Toys and a couple other sites that auction and/or have Buy It Now vehicles from a motorcycle and RV to front loader or semi. If your willing to put the money into some of these vehicles, you can turn a profit. Issue is, you have lots of shops who are looking also. Be sure to look at the pictures really well, they don't exactly state the issues that are wrong all the time or very detailed. Example, it said this Merc had Minor Dents and Scratches, I prompted the link and it was a destroyed roll over.