XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Programming key fob

Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaygee
I have a 2000 xj8 and when i programed my fob by the light flashing method there was no beeps only the little red light near gear shifter flashed,
I then bought a used fob from ebay opened it up and cleaned all contacts with a rubber eraser and programed both again without problems and i only pressed a fob button once on each fob...
John...
Oh yea forgot to mention no light also. Batteries are good. Could it be a security module or door lock module?. My door lock cylinder will turn to lock but won't unlock?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 PM

How do I check what number fob I need?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by YoungRobertL
Thanks David...I appreciate the effort to put these all in one place. I think I have printed out all of these at one time or another over the past few weeks.

I have no trouble getting the car into "learn" mode...pull back light switch, turn key, etc...I get the slight beep-beep, telling me the car is ready. Then, I have tried everything, & more, to get the fob to program...all to no avail. So I have ordered one with the correct number on it. Then I'll go thru the process again...hopefully, successfully!

Again, thanks for all the help & advice. Bob
what do you do to get the car in to learn mode im still stuck at that i reckon i have the correct fob

Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank David, this one worked for my 2002 XJR:
And another one:

Key in ignition without turning to any position.
Hold turn signal stalk in the flash to pass position, pulled towards you.
Turn key one position while holding the stalk.
Flash the stalk 4 or 5 times and you should hear a confirmation tone from the security sounder. It is not the horn, and in an area with high outside noise levels you may not be able to hear it, it is rather quiet.
After the tone press any button on the remote you wish to program and you will either hear a similar tone confirming programming or a different sounding error tone meaning that the programming did not work.

If you did not get the initial tone confirming programming mode there could be either a problem with the security module or a problem with the procedure.

The flashes after turning the key require a certain amount of feel. Very rapid or very slow flashing will not work. The 4 or 5 flashes should take a second or 2 not rapid fire.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by YoungRobertL
Just purchased a 1998 XJ8. Key fob does not work. I replaced the two batteries as per the owners booklet. Dealer says it is sending a signal on all 4 channels (4 buttons). I've found enough information on-line to figure out how to get the car into "learning" mode...but I still can't seem to program the fob to work.

Any ideas...suggestions? Thanks... Bob
Just goggled for you. And found this.

Fob Programming Instructions:
Jaguar Keyless entry key programming instructions - ProgramKeyFob.com

Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In programming the new fob looks like you need the lj......and not what you have....mine is a 2000xj8 long.....just received a purchased fob from e-bay....which i need to program....my question is, in programming the new fob.....do i( or you for that matter) have to do anything with the other fob that came with the car and currently use? wILL ATTEMPTING TO PROGRAM THE NEW FOB SCREW UP THE OLD?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjunky
In programming the new fob looks like you need the lj......and not what you have....mine is a 2000xj8 long.....just received a purchased fob from e-bay....which i need to program....my question is, in programming the new fob.....do i( or you for that matter) have to do anything with the other fob that came with the car and currently use? wILL ATTEMPTING TO PROGRAM THE NEW FOB SCREW UP THE OLD?

Jagjunky....if you trace back a few postings you will see that you need both or all (depending on how many you have up to five fobs) available while coding.
As it all involves a series of clicks up to five, you need to press the first fob twice and when coding the second fob it needs to be pressed three times.....as I see it.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This Works! Key Fob Programming and Cleaning - XJ8

PROGRAMMING

Pull the headlight stalk towards the steering wheel and hold the headlights in the flash position.
Insert the ignition key and turn to the first position (to power the radio but not the ignition).
Release the headlight flasher and then flash the headlights four times to put the car in programing mode. The little red light to the left of P on the gear shift will briefly illuminate after the fourth flash.
Press any button on the key fob. With each press the same red light will briefly illuminate. You may have to hold the button in for a few seconds before the light flashes. This needs to be done 5 times to complete the job. Up to five fobs can be programmed. If you only have 1 fob press the button five times, if you have two you could press the button 3 times on one fob and 2 times on the other etc. If you don't get the red light you have a dead fob or perhaps just one dead button.
Remove the ignition key to complete the cycle.

CLEANING A DEAD FOB

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to prise the fob open.
Remove the circuit board and clean the button connecting surfaces which are gold plated metal on the circuit board and a carbon pad on the rear of each button. You will probably see black carbon deposits (which could cause a short circuit) between the thin gold contacts One internet source suggested using the rubber tip of a pencil eraser. I used cotton buds impregnated with 'Comma Contact Clean' before switching to dry buds. This worked a treat. Insert two CR2016 flat batteries with the smaller diameter flat surface facing the circuit board.
Reassemble.

The following users liked this post:
Celeta Moses (06-10-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jaygee
I have a 2000 xj8 and when i programed my fob by the light flashing method there was no beeps only the little red light near gear shifter flashed,
I then bought a used fob from ebay opened it up and cleaned all contacts with a rubber eraser and programed both again without problems and i only pressed a fob button once on each fob...
John...
just done this with mine and worked a treat, now have remote working

thanks
mark

Old 06-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you say the xj8key fob has TWO batteries?
How are they situated?
Thanks, C Moses
1998 xj8

Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Default Xj8 key fob

Originally Posted by Celeta Moses
did you say the xj8key fob has TWO batteries?
How are they situated?
Thanks, C Moses
1998 xj8
the key fob for 1998 xj8 has ONLY ONE BATTERY the number is CR 2032 someone had put two batteries in my key fob ( just bought car)I took them out put this one in reprogrammed fob works perfect

Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

My 1998 (97 built) XJ8 has TWO batteries... As factory says... And handbooks...

Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Good info. here.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

The FOB definitely needs TWO batteries (at least for my 1998).

I tested with both the one thicker, and 2 slimmer ones.
Both works, but the range with just one battery is rather limited, while with two batteries, I got some 15 meter, perhaps more.

By the way; clean the contacts with just a simple pencil-eraser.
It improves the FOB operation incredibly.

Last edited by ericjansen; 10-04-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Daim
My 1998 (97 built) XJ8 has TWO batteries... As factory says... And handbooks...
try your key fob using this one battery cr 2032 mine had two batteries in when I bought the car 4 weeks ago they DID NOT WORK was told by a mechanic to take them out and put this onemail battery in when I put it in worked perfect

Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

XJ X350 4.2 with sick fobs, Oh dear bring back "hot wiring" can't stand this "intelligence" malarkie.
Both of my fobs gave up the ghost simultaneously and having read the advice on resetting (akin to War & Peace in effort) I have failed to to get them to work again, I have left doors open, flashed lights & listened for non-existing beeps, all to no avail. The keys still operate and I can drive the car but have lost the cache of opening the car remotely.
So maybe I will have to prostitute myself and get fleeced by the "Jaguar" agent, who can empty a bank account quicker than an ex with attitude.
Any advice gratefully received.

Greytop

Old 10-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

1. hold back high beams
2. Insert key and put in #1 position
3. flash high beams 4 times
4. Push button on one remote and then corresponding button on other remotes until done.
Followed these instructions (I only have 1 FOB to program) I get the tone every time I hit the remote's button, yet still doesn't work afterwards ?! Every X308 I've owned has been slightly different programming(even if listed as the same year) lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 10-23-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Jaguar owner
made an excellent videotutorial. I can't watch it now because I am at work but as far as I remember, he said you have to flash the high beams 5 times.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Ford Keyfobs available online work on our cars perfecectly.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DavidN
The battery of my spare fob has died a while ago.
After I changed the batteries my fob still wouldn't work.
In a German board I recently got a slightly different instruction for my MJ99 XJ8.
I haven't tried it but it might work for your car as well?

- Insert key in ignition (do not turn key)
- Pull the beam/long distance light into full beam
- While holding the full beam turn key into position 1
- Release beam and pull it again 4 times
- Push the "lock" button on the fob
If you hear a beep now the fob should work with your car.

Cheers,

David

Oh that looks interesting. I will try it tomorrow to see if it works. I have the same problem, replaces the batteries and then nothing on both remotes.

Funny part is before I switch the batteries. every time I was knocking the car with the remotes. the seat, mirrors and steering wheel will reset their positions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programming key fob