XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Question for AVOS twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Avos i for one would LOVE to see a video taped dyno I cant seem to find one so a link or a new one would be great. I love the scream of a ts. Also if eurotoys has the kit for the 98 99 working whats stopping you from having one?? Just curious cus like I said I have the kenny bell sitting home in the shop just need to get everything situated, Course got to see how much I can got out of this ole roots first LOL

Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Brutal great read also check out maximium boost by Bell great book and the guy knows his stuff. But also remember you can go to a garrett site and they will tell you why the TS sucks compared to a turbo or you can go to a eaton lover siter and it will do the same everything has its good and bad and supporters.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Avos i for one would LOVE to see a video taped dyno I cant seem to find one so a link or a new one would be great. I love the scream of a ts. Also if eurotoys has the kit for the 98 99 working whats stopping you from having one?? Just curious cus like I said I have the kenny bell sitting home in the shop just need to get everything situated, Course got to see how much I can got out of this ole roots first LOL
I also vote for seeing a new video. Please say in the video the date so we know it is a new video

Sweet, can't wait to see the proof!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by xjr-0220
brutal great read also check out maximium boost by bell great book and the guy knows his stuff. But also remember you can go to a garrett site and they will tell you why the ts sucks compared to a turbo or you can go to a eaton lover siter and it will do the same everything has its good and bad and supporters.
well i like turbos if you can deal with all the plumbing and design a powerfull system that does it without reving the thing to the moon to get boost. I used to build 300z tt and you cant beat turning your boost up from inside the car on the fly with an electronic waste gate. But ide have to redo alot and start over with another system. Its easier to swap to a ts and change a few pieces. The cheapest route on a turbo would be a remote mounte sts. But i rock crawl and offroad. Ide have a hard time getting a remote turbo and return intake plumbing to live underneath my truck. I have to straighten my skids in the press when i return from offroading. Moab 2 wks ago i dented the gas tank skid so hard it took out my fuel sender
i already have a sc system but with roots and i can tell you from experiance itsucks when you really want to push it. Too much heat, too much power turning. I custom made a pulley to go from 5psi to 1o. And even though more boost the power just does not= the boost. The blowers turning alot faster now heating air more and taking more hp to turn. Yes the throttle response is great and 330rwhp from a v6 truck is pretty cool on the street with 4.56 gears. I surprise alot of people.
Turbo is basicly free power. But i hit 5psi boost instantly and it pulls to 10 quickly. But its nothing compared to a kb. Pound for pound a ts beats a roots blower. Theres a reason why manufacturers are now using them instead of the older roots design, they compress air and dont just push it. They have lower discharge temps and less power to turn

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

@Newby, XJR-0220

Ok, a dyno would cost me about 100 euros, my time is for free. I have done so many dynos that for me it isn't going to add anything. PM me for an arrangement, and I be happy to make a video!

@XJR-0220
I actually have a setup for the 98-99 cars already, it will make use of the stock TB, but it needs to be bored out to 80mm.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Andre's R&D and dyno's already posted aren't to be doubted.

Obviously there's other's that can do the conversion - Buckhead imports? still waiting for something, anything on their 'project'......Eurotoy's, chat to them about dyno figures too, but understand it's not in the same league.

What I find impressive is the fact his kit has done over 100k miles, without issue. Once I find an XKR to play with I'm ordering....

Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Andre's R&D and dyno's already posted aren't to be doubted.

Obviously there's other's that can do the conversion - Buckhead imports? still waiting for something, anything on their 'project'......Eurotoy's, chat to them about dyno figures too, but understand it's not in the same league.

What I find impressive is the fact his kit has done over 100k miles, without issue. Once I find an XKR to play with I'm ordering....
Not doubting Avos's car runs well. I'm sure it does after what must have been thousands of hours of R&D. The question for me really is, would a twin screw work for me, given that I am not an R&D guy, so for me to find value in spending the 100 Euros to get a dyno, it would make sense if it was someone here in the states, who bought the kit, and was able to, within a short amount of time, say a week or 3, get it to run without problems.

Given the cost of the TS, for me it would have to work kind of out of the box, and I would have to have seen that done, near me.

I am grateful for the major advances AVOS has made here, he has certainly moved the ball far down the field for us. I am hopeful, when circumstances make this a real possibility for me (cash and time wise, as I am this week finishing negotiations on some income property I want to buy which will take all my time and money for the next god knows how many months), that, in the coming year or so a few of these kits have met the above requirements which would allow me to take the plunge, confidently.

Seeing another dyno from someone who has spent god knows how many hours tweaking it doesn't really address my concerns..

My real question was is this really feasible, for me, in the near future.

At this point in time, from what I am hearing, is that there are many small issues that are stopping people, who are far, far more mechanically inclined than I am, from successfully driving their cars with this kit.

The bottom line for me is, I need to see one and talk to the person who bought the kit and installed it themselves. It is one thing for NASA to send a person to orbit and back, it is another for them to sell the kit to do the same, that is all I am saying.

Since I may be in the market for one of these in a year or so, I just wanted to get hard facts from people who have successfully added the TS to their cars, preferrably drive or ride in that car, and see it on the dyno with my own eyes. We are likely talking about $8000 by the time all is said and done (I would have to pay for a little mechanical help for sure). For that kind of money, I would want some assurances that it is tried and true...I just don't think it is there just yet, for us non NASA types, that is. I expect progress will continue to be made to this end. Jagxkr apparently has his working, but I'm hearing it took a loooonnnng time to work the bugs out, and I dare say he has far superior knowledge of these things than me, has a really gifted fabricator he is working with, and worked and worked it. I still would like to hear what numbers he has gotten from the dyno (Why are these not happily given??) I'm sure his car is an absolute rocket.

Last edited by Newby; 06-12-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Newby

At this point in time, from what I am hearing, is that there are many small issues that are stopping people, who are far, far more mechanically inclined than I am, from successfully driving their cars with this kit.
Avos' kit? it's plug and play and takes a savvi mech a day to fit. I think you're fishing. Come back in a year.

And why request of him to run yet another dyno, when he's already posted what it does.

The work has already been done, the R&D signed off, the guy's looked at making even more power on race fuel......

Jagxkr's old school, he doesn't want or need confirmation on the dyno, and has added all sorts to the engine, not just the TS kit, but killer chiller, snow kit, etc etc....I should leave it to him to explain, when trying to find a sweet spot with all that and the other mechanical upgrades required, it will take time and isn't a Fast Ford solution, everything and I mean everything is custom. If you've never been down this route and have jelly legs at the price or work, buy a Ford.

Last edited by Sean B; 06-12-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Once I find an XKR to play with I'm ordering....
Why not on your XJR?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveM
Why not on your XJR?
It's perfect and standard why do that to a very rare car? I debated it though

An XKR is more sportified.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Avos' kit? it's plug and play and takes a savvi mech a day to fit. I think you're fishing. Come back in a year.

And why request of him to run yet another dyno, when he's already posted what it does.

The work has already been done, the R&D signed off, the guy's looked at making even more power on race fuel......

Jagxkr's old school, he doesn't want or need confirmation on the dyno, and has added all sorts to the engine, not just the TS kit, but killer chiller, snow kit, etc etc....I should leave it to him to explain, when trying to find a sweet spot with all that and the other mechanical upgrades required, it will take time and isn't a Fast Ford solution, everything and I mean everything is custom. If you've never been down this root and have jelly legs at the price or work, buy a Ford.
I'm not trying to be rude, but please post when yours is up and running and let us all know what it took to get there. I am thinking that the required custom modifications are a bit out of my league at this point in time, but you might be right, it could be much more they drop in kit in a year.
please understand it is not my intention to make this post advesarial, but only to find out what level of expertise is really required to make this system works and I believe that level of expertise is a bit above my own.

I wasn't bagging on jagxkr either, just to be clear are you saying that his car went together with no major problems in only a few weeks because all the r&d was already done and signed off, because I as I understand it that was not the case

Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Newby
I'm not trying to be rude, but please post when yours is up and running and let us all know what it took to get there.

I will, like I've done since 2008 with my other projects....newby.

you're basing your opinion on one car (Jagxkr's?)......with loads of other mods, of course it's not as easy as just adding the kit.....

Have you spoken to Avos about the feasibility on your car? Or just posting q's public forum....

good luck

Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM

It's perfect and standard why do that to a very rare car? I debated it though

An XKR is more sportified.
Because it will be more perfect?

It may be rare, but I don't think it's much more special. Just different wheels and red stitching. And uglier wood...
It's not like it's all original anyways.

And an XKR probably isn't much more sporty; they're nearly the same car.

I'm just saying there's not a good reason not to

Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

????i dont get it, am i missing something here???
Avos's is a kit with the adapters to bolt it to the engine. I dont see fab work needing to be done. And yes most all sc kits on the market are a day or at most weekend job. Mine was a day. But im doing custom now. Someone get me an R, ill buy the kit, do a before and after and then you can find me easily. Ill be the guy driving around with a ear to ear grin.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveM
Because it will be more perfect?

It may be rare, but I don't think it's much more special. Just different wheels and red stitching. And uglier wood...
It's not like it's all original anyways.

And an XKR probably isn't much more sporty; they're nearly the same car.

I'm just saying there's not a good reason not to
I can buy a vanilla XJR to thrash for a grand ($1600) in the UK, and might use it as a mule, but not the 100. You haven't seen it in the flesh so you'll not understand. How many do you know of on a new bodyshell from Jaguar, put together with stainless steel nuts and bolts? Oh, and it's first owner was Jackie Stewart....

I also plan on a 6 speed manual conversion to go in the XKR, a convertible, they may share drivetrains, but that's where it ends. I can get lots of goodies off XKRacer too

Last edited by Sean B; 06-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM

I will, like I've done since 2008 with my other projects....newby.

you're basing your opinion on one car (Jagxkr's?)......with loads of other mods, of course it's not as easy as just adding the kit.....

Have you spoken to Avos about the feasibility on your car? Or just posting q's public forum....

good luck

OK, first off, I apologize if you took offense at anything I had said, truly none of it was meant as an insult, so please read my posts again in the light of "trust, but verify"

In AVOS's emails he is confident it is an easy straightforward install, with no problems, but what I've heard about Jagkrs experience from others is that it was not so easy, that there were some difficulties that needed working out. I can only refer to Jagxkrs car as it is the only one in the states that is known of. I hear there are a bunch of kits purchased, but they are not, at best, sharing their successes with the public it would seem.

For AVOS, I'm sure it is easy, and if he was my next door neighbor, my posts would probably be titled "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!, I Love my new TS" instead of "Has anyone actually done this here, close enough where I could see it myself"

It has always been my practice, before embarking on any large undertaking, to verify the information I would be relying on. That is all I am trying to do.
Again, I'm sure for AVOS, it would be easy, I'm just trying to find out how easy it actually was for someone else who has done it.

As to Jagxkr, yes, he had loads of other mods, but it would seem, and please do correct me if I am wrong again, that each of those issues were, to date, worked out satisfactorily (regarding the other mods).

The comment of I should just buy a ford is relevant. It was my (mis?)understanding that these XJRs were basically made by ford, and that working on them would be a similar experience, but from what I've heard, there are problems getting the TS to run well that are different in nature than bolt on, and that is an entirely different animal altogether.

I did do all the mods on my own 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 back "in the day" 7 lb paxton, water injection, 85mm mass air, ported intake, heads, rocker arms, studs, 90 hp nitrous kit, full suspension and support bars, roll cage (paid someone else to weld it), brakes, etc all myself, but those were all basically bolt on mods. If the issues that come up with the TS are not of this nature, then I say again it is beyond my ability to diagnose and solve them.

Again, it was not my intent to stir up a hornets nest or give people high blood pressure, just to ask from another source, other than the seller of a product, what the buyer's experiences were. If those two match, and are happy, then the TS could be in the cards.

I think for the time being, it is just a bit too soon for me to take the plunge, because 1. I am not ready yet, likely in 9-12 months, and 2. I have criteria based proofs that must be satisfied before I jump.

Curious, had I asked of people's results from other vendors, Eurotoys, Steig, etc, would people have gotten so upset?

Until then I am only doing the very few small bolt on mods of pulley, intake, water injection, and killer chiller.

Last edited by Newby; 06-12-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

Ok guys I think we are starting to flog the proverbial dead horse here.

Let's try and keep the discussion centered on the TS mod and try and avoid getting into personal digs.

Thankyou.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM

I can buy a vanilla XJR to thrash for a grand ($1600) in the UK, and might use it as a mule, but not the 100. You haven't seen it in the flesh so you'll not understand. How many do you know of on a new bodyshell from Jaguar, put together with stainless steel nuts and bolts? Oh, and it's first owner was Jackie Stewart....

I also plan on a 6 speed manual conversion to go in the XKR, a convertible, they may share drivetrains, but that's where it ends. I can get lots of goodies off XKRacer too

I'm sure it's better than new. That's why I was suggesting putting the twin screw in it; it will make it that much better. And since it was re-bodied, that may bring down the value as a future collectible.

They have the same rear chassis and identical rear suspension. And both based on 30+ year old designs.

I'm not telling you what should do, just was curious is all.

At least get a coupe

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM

So as of now you have a system all ready to go for the 99 xjr Avos? If you have everything ready an are willing to sell without the kenny bell as I have a new unit already so hit me up.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I have the Twin Screw kit on my car. If you are ever in the Boston area let me know. It is the best thing you can do to that car. I went thru all the mods, pulleys, porting larger radiators etc. Save your money & install the kit, the longer you wait the madder you will be once it is installed. There is only one other mod I would recomend to you, install a 3.77 pozi diff.
Long overdue question, since I've really only been hearing about your TS second hand.

How long did it take for you to get it to run how you want it to run?

Quick Reply: Question for AVOS twin screw