XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Remote not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote not working

Hi jaguar owners please help I'm unable to use my key fob to open/close my xj8.

I did try to program myself using the high beam lights as per video on YouTube but unfortunately nothing happened.

Maybe there is some other way of programming the fob or I am doing something wrong.

Please help.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Change the fob batteries, just in case they're dead (it's a shame the fob doesn't have a little light on it to show you it works).

Although a simple job, it may be worth going to a local locksmith which deals with car keys as they can test to see if the fob is transmitting after changing the batteries. If it is, then;

check the aerial cable on the security module it may have come adrift. It's under the fuse box in the boot and is a black cable with a push connector on the end. Mine was removed after having some rear bodywork done and my previously working fobs stopped unless I was really, really close to the rear tyre.

If it isn't transmitting then I'm not sure if it would be best to replace, rather than repair.

Once you know you have a charged and working fob, the procedure you tried before should allow you to pair it (and any others at the same time) to the car.