XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Shipping the Thundercat to Buckhead Performance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you would like to see first hand what Avos's kit is capable of please feel free to come to the Boston area & I will be glad to show you, no dyno numbers but a test drive. If you are at all serious please let me know. The "I am wating for dyno"numbers is just an excuse to not spend the money. I have been doing mods to my car for 10 years & never had my car on a dyno, some day I may. I was at the dyno shop when Thundercat had his car there,(fitted with my old ported Eaton blower & the pulley I installed) I am not a big fan of running my car up like that very often so when I have finally run out of mods & just to see the final result I will then do a dyno run. I always see people ask for dyno numbers but wonder home many people actually put their car on a dyno. I hope that Thundercats expectations are met but am not so sure they will be. I will tell you when he gets his car back I am looking forward to seeing what it is capable of then, then passing him like he is standing still. The one thing I am really waiting to see is how they fit a Wipple on top of his ported Eaton, maybe they will also twin turbo it while they are there as well.

The following users liked this post:
Thundercat (05-25-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

@Realtalk

They started a game and part of it imho is that you are not sure what the other has which should add to the excitement, right?

To add to the suspense, I actually don’t know my current rwhp numbers yet with the last small modifications made (and 1 more to go). It’s good though

Also I am already in a disadvantage, as all info on my setup is known, and then to also give my numbers would give them another advantage as something to beat.

Please note here that I am talking about street fuel setup, and that is what I am still aiming at, though we could also have an extra category for race fuel, it’s just a 10 minute pulley change for me, and you get into the really scary numbers, I chickened out so far

Now if only Thundercat would set a date, I guess they are still figuring out what to do

Old 05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As soon as the Thundercat reaches buckhead I will set a date. Thank you Jaxkr for your kind words. You are a true gentleman. WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME BOYS!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundercat
Agreed. We are working on a Whipple twin screw for the Jag and we will post #'s as soon as it gets in there. I have a baseline right now of 370 at the wheels.
Nice can't wait to see it

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
If you would like to see first hand what Avos's kit is capable of please feel free to come to the Boston area & I will be glad to show you, no dyno numbers but a test drive. If you are at all serious please let me know. The "I am wating for dyno"numbers is just an excuse to not spend the money. I have been doing mods to my car for 10 years & never had my car on a dyno, some day I may. I was at the dyno shop when Thundercat had his car there,(fitted with my old ported Eaton blower & the pulley I installed) I am not a big fan of running my car up like that very often so when I have finally run out of mods & just to see the final result I will then do a dyno run. I always see people ask for dyno numbers but wonder home many people actually put their car on a dyno. I hope that Thundercats expectations are met but am not so sure they will be. I will tell you when he gets his car back I am looking forward to seeing what it is capable of then, then passing him like he is standing still. The one thing I am really waiting to see is how they fit a Wipple on top of his ported Eaton, maybe they will also twin turbo it while they are there as well.
I might just have to take you up on that offer

As for me i am new to the jaguar but not new to performance i have owned many vehicles which have made great power and i have always dyno'ed,as i wanted to make sure i am getting what i paid for.

Trust me i have seen (and not saying Avos or buckhead)some shops/people claim their kits make xxxhp. Yes they feel great when you first drive it of course because you have had a better or bigger forced induction installed or another performance part add,but if your only gaining 50whp(just saying for argument sake) and you were suppose to gain 125 i would be pretty upset.

Everything feels faster but until you see dyno numbers and/or Track times you really cant say whats gonna be better than what.

Originally Posted by avos
@Realtalk

They started a game and part of it imho is that you are not sure what the other has which should add to the excitement, right?

To add to the suspense, I actually don’t know my current rwhp numbers yet with the last small modifications made (and 1 more to go). It’s good though

Also I am already in a disadvantage, as all info on my setup is known, and then to also give my numbers would give them another advantage as something to beat.

Please note here that I am talking about street fuel setup, and that is what I am still aiming at, though we could also have an extra category for race fuel, it’s just a 10 minute pulley change for me, and you get into the really scary numbers, I chickened out so far

Now if only Thundercat would set a date, I guess they are still figuring out what to do
I hear what your getting at and i guess it would be a challenge to see what each other puts down,but at the same time if they post theirs first(not saying you would) than would you have the chance then to make yours go a little higher ??

I'm not trying to start an argument but when you say your gain's are 100-200hp.I would just like to see that number on graph and if at all possiable in a video and the same goes with buckhead.

As far as a disadvantage,I think a reputable shop such a Buckhead would have no problems posting or letting people know what their kit consist of as the end consumer would like to know what he/she are not getting cheap crap lol.

Again my intestion was not to start a war but to get all the fact before buying... i am looking forward to seeing both out comes.

RT

Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
in2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience (not with my Jags though) dynos only make you spend the BIG money cos the last few brake horses always cost more than the many before it. shee the money I used to throw at just a few BHP and for what? Just to say I had em really and to believe I had the "best"!

On the street a split second in driving technique undoes the hundreds of pounds ya paid for the extra couple of numbers!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RealTalk
Trust me i have seen (and not saying Avos or buckhead)some shops/people claim their kits make xxxhp. Yes they feel great when you first drive it of course because you have had a better or bigger forced induction installed or another performance part add,but if your only gaining 50whp(just saying for argument sake) and you were suppose to gain 125 i would be pretty upset.
Everything feels faster but until you see dyno numbers and/or Track times you really cant say whats gonna be better than what.

Here are just some appetizers:

These are some old test results (not max power runs!), but already about 140 rwhp more than I had stock (which is already about 168 bhp more considerin a 17% drivetrain loss). Of course the figures are higher now

I hear what your getting at and i guess it would be a challenge to see what each other puts down,but at the same time if they post theirs first(not saying you would) than would you have the chance then to make yours go a little higher ??

Why did you think I was asking for a date??

I'm not trying to start an argument but when you say your gain's are 100-200hp.I would just like to see that number on graph and if at all possiable in a video and the same goes with buckhead.

Even dynos (and taking a video) can be tricked easily; I have done just too many to know. I can understand a hesitance, the poor/and lack of products arround by some resellers have made me develop this in the first place
PS The lower 100 is not a max figure for some cars bytheway, this is just a low setting determined by the upper pulley.

As far as a disadvantage,I think a reputable shop such a Buckhead would have no problems posting or letting people know what their kit consist of as the end consumer would like to know what he/she are not getting cheap crap lol.

I think you misunderstood what I meant, but let’s leave it, this should be a fun thread.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Car was delivered on Saturday, The Doctor Jason Cummins will tear into this XJR starting today, just sit back relax and enjoy the show. Result updates will be added as they are released. No set due date so those that seem to be so worried about that just be patient and time will tell a real story.

Dyno sheets will be released as we venture off into this endevour with real world results and results that can comforting to those that are interested in what we do, lots to come ladies and gentleman so stay tuned.

Look for our sponsored thread that should be up and running today......

Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this car at the BH or Vinings location?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Smyrna location. Come on by we are the second shop in this location that has the sign B.I. Performance over the door.

Originally Posted by squish
Is this car at the BH or Vinings location?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

Well that takes the fun/challenge away, disappointing, but ok.

Here is a dyno with the Stage I kit, and stock intake/box (K&N panel filter), exhaust, well actually everything stock, except for a larger intercooler, sport cats, and a 4.2 block (but everything else 4.0 like the injectors etc), and normal fuel.

Was about 473.8 rwhp (570 bhp assuming a 17% drive train loss).

This is about 160 rwhp (or 191 bhp again assuming 17% drive trian loss), then my stock car.

Not sure what actually the max power is with this setup, as you can with ease add more boost by simply putting on a smaller upper pulley, and many people would believe that just going from the restrictive exhaust to a sports one, would also easily add more. I like the GT qualities of my car, and found that a sports exhaust was just too drony and loud, so not on my car anymore. The sport cats give a very subtle extra sound which is why I like them so much.

So far I haven’t dyno’d my current Stage II setup yet due to 1 extra intake mod which took a little bit long to finalize due to lack of time. However it is just finished, and am very pleased, it’s noticeable better.

I plan on 1 more change after this, of which I would also like to understand what it can bring, so will do a couple of dynos in the coming weeks.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,170 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
... but the thing is, we Euro's do our own work, do we get extra points?
Absolutely ...as should those who wrench for themselves everywhere. Remember, it is not strictly a Euro characteristic. Also remember that where the rubber meets the road, dyno slips count for nothing. Experience and skill has allowed drivers of "inferior" vehicles in both handling and power to beat bigger bucks more than a few times.

Last edited by plums; 05-11-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Baseline Dyno numbers are on Buckhead imports facebook page. Become a fan and follow all the updates here Jon Carnevale | Facebook

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Absolutely ...as should those who wrench for themselves everywhere. Remember, it is not strictly a Euro characteristic. Also remember that where the rubber meets the road, dyno slips count for nothing. Experience and skill has allowed drivers of "inferior" vehicles in both handling and power to beat bigger bucks more than a few times.
How about we just sit back and appreciate what our cars are capable of?I'm no stranger to turning a wrench and an excellent driver so where does that put me?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Well that takes the fun/challenge away, disappointing, but ok.

Here is a dyno with the Stage I kit, and stock intake/box (K&N panel filter), exhaust, well actually everything stock, except for a larger intercooler, sport cats, and a 4.2 block (but everything else 4.0 like the injectors etc), and normal fuel.

Was about 473.8 rwhp (570 bhp assuming a 17% drive train loss).

This is about 160 rwhp (or 191 bhp again assuming 17% drive trian loss), then my stock car.

Not sure what actually the max power is with this setup, as you can with ease add more boost by simply putting on a smaller upper pulley, and many people would believe that just going from the restrictive exhaust to a sports one, would also easily add more. I like the GT qualities of my car, and found that a sports exhaust was just too drony and loud, so not on my car anymore. The sport cats give a very subtle extra sound which is why I like them so much.

So far I haven’t dyno’d my current Stage II setup yet due to 1 extra intake mod which took a little bit long to finalize due to lack of time. However it is just finished, and am very pleased, it’s noticeable better.

I plan on 1 more change after this, of which I would also like to understand what it can bring, so will do a couple of dynos in the coming weeks.
Avos

Nice numbers thumbs up!!!!! The power band looks good I cant wait to see the stage 2.

I just have a few questions.. whats is that big dip around 4300rpm? and i see this is with a 4.2 block not a 4.0,so what power difference will their be with a 4.0?

Correct me if im wrong but dosent the 4.2 block produce more power than the 4.0? Also what gas are you using i know the lowest gas in Europe has higher octane then the premium fuel in the.

keep up the good work!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Around 4100 rpm is a shift point, so if you would floor it a bit below 4100 the car will shift down, once around this rpm the car will not shift anymore until redline. This is why you can’t get any top torque readings below 4100 rpm on a dyno, unless you can control the TCM to force it not to shift.

The 4.2 block gives a slight advantage over the 4.0 due to the extra stroke and similar compression. This means I can spin the supercharger a little faster when using similar fuel, but on similar pulleys the power is about the same. The 4.2 car had more enhancements why it got more horses compared to the 4.0 car, the injectors amongst others are already better, and a better engine management.

Here you can find more info on the different fuel categorizations used in the US and EU:
Fuel ratings, RON, MON or PON?

So the fuels are about the same, just the rating mechanism is different.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Phase one in production.

Last edited by Thundercat; 05-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Any updates on this? Its odd that BIP is right down the road from me and I have never heard of them? More so since I was in the performance industry myself for so long and some of their old dyno slips are from a good buddy of mines shop (dynolab). Didnt think their was anyone in the game around here I didn't know.

I will have to stop by the shop and check it out. They do any tuning on the STR?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Things are coming along VERY nicely. The work they do is really awesome. You can give them a call and ask for Tony. I'm sure he can do something with the S type. We are still about a month away from posting a final dyno sheet. Cheers. click the link on my sig. Cheers!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting, I will be calling tomorrow if someone can actually dyno tune one of these cars it will save me having to do a piggy back ecu

Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Tony will hook you up with what you are looking for guaranteed.

Last edited by Thundercat; 05-25-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Shipping the Thundercat to Buckhead Performance!!!