XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof leaking

2001 XJ8 VDP
Can see a little daylight through the back part of sunroof wear seal and roof meet.
Heavy rains today and leaking...not a lot but leaking nevertheless.
Looks like the black seal that's 360° around panel is not as tight as it was 9 years ago.

Researched a little on part:

Jaguar SUNROOF SEAL, BLACK RUBBER - HNG1727AB

Do you think this will do the trick on a replacement?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

NO! The sunroof seal is designed to leak a little water. The rear panel has a channel that directs the leaking water to the side channels and there are drain tubes in each corner. If you can see the crack at the rear seal, your rear inner roof panel is probably slipped back and not providing the cross channel.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Default Help needed from (sparkenzap) Sunroof leaking

Thank you...you just saved me $150.00 or more for a new seal and labor if I could not have installed it. I don't think I can upload a picture of what it looks like because I am a new member. When I look up from the inside of the car at the back of the sunroof panel that is where where the light is coming from (where the seal meets the roof). I looks like to me something is missing because there is a 4 inch gap between the bottom of the fabric panel to the back and that is where I see the light through that gap where the seal meets the roof. What is the (rear inner roof panel) you mentioned could it be pushed back where I can't see it or even worse missing or broken? I can actually stick my hand back between the fabric ceiling and the roof that area where the panel actually slides back into.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your rear channel has broken loose from the lower sliding panel.To do a fix will mean the head liner will have to be removed and new plastic peaces installed.Or you could fish the channel back forward again and not use the sun roof.
Bill
98/XJ8 VDP

Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by deerebill
Sounds like your rear channel has broken loose from the lower sliding panel.To do a fix will mean the head liner will have to be removed and new plastic peaces installed.Or you could fish the channel back forward again and not use the sun roof.
Bill
98/XJ8 VDP
Thank you!
When you say "you could fish the channel back forward again" does that mean the part you are talking about is stuck way back in the area between the head liner and the roof (the area where the sunroof panel slides into when opening)?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Default Found out why but still have an issue.

The rear inner roof panel was disconnected from the main panel and slipped all the way back between the roof and the head liner and not providing the cross channel to catch the little bit of water coming between the seal and the roof from the back of the sunroof.

NOW...the two spring loaded leavers that connect to each side of the main panel that holds the inner roof panel to the main panel will not stay connected or stay in the hole they go in. This back piece just goes along for the ride with the main panel and acts as the rear cross channel that catches water that comes through.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like to me there should be some type of clip to hold these levers to the main panel so they will not pop out when the sunroof is retracted. Does anyone know how these stay in place or have schematit for the sunroof.

Thanks
2001 XJ8 VDP

Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Say Thanks, have you a name?
Anyway- It is a pretty intricate (and delicate, unfortunately) mechanism. Check the archives, I believe ther eis a picture posted. I will look and see if I can find a schematic.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Default Sorry

Thomas

Old 04-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did because of not finding the brackets that I needed, was to take the head liner out. I then drilled two holes through the cross drain that is made of plastic and also drilled two holes in the sliding panel.I installed two pieces of stainless wire with a 90 degree bend on each end to hold it in place. My drain now moves with the main panel and the wires can not be seen,works very well but the tilt can not be used now, but never used it any way.
Bill
98/XJ8 VDP

Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Default Sunroof

Thanks deerebill

Thomas

Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Say Thanks, have you a name?
Anyway- It is a pretty intricate (and delicate, unfortunately) mechanism. Check the archives, I believe ther eis a picture posted. I will look and see if I can find a schematic.
I have the same isssue with my 2003 Vanden Plas. Were you able to find a picture or the schematic for this?

Thanks a lot

Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Hi, I had the issue with the guide arms for the rear trim coming off and allowing it to be relocated. The plastic had not broken and I could move the spring loaded arms that end up against the roof when they are come out back into the pivots. As they kept coming out, I elected to make some clips to hold them in. It was suggested that I remove the roof, but that seemed like a lot of work.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...sliders-52248/

Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is how the XJ6 and XJ8 sunroof irrigation system works. As mentioned in earlier posts by others, there is a channel that runs under the roof, around the sunroof opening. In each corner is a drain hole. The front two can easily be seen, after the large roof trim panel is removed. Not so for the back two. To test, take that bottle of drinking water that you threw away, or your favorite empty aluminum can, and fill it with clean water. Park on a level and pour 12 oz in the channel. You should see it run out through the front drain holes, passing through a hose in each sides A post, and exit by each front tire. If not, you need to unplug the front drains. Next park on a pretty good slant, front of the car up. Pour another 12 oz into the channel and watch for it to run out the back drains, through hoses in each C post and exit each side by the rear mufflers.
Now here is the key to how the seal works. It doesn't have to work very well because that smaller sunroof trim panel is actually a metal catch pan. Just like on your refrigerator, but this one catches the water that the seal admits, and sends it to the back drain holes.

The following 2 users liked this post by linuxenigma:
Blue_XJ8 (11-19-2015), plums (06-28-2013)
Old 03-07-2017, 01:24 AM

Hello a question about roofs
Mine is a 2001 VDP
I have a rattle in the car.
Many attempts to find it to no avail.
Iam suspecting it might be in the sun roof.
It sounds like two licence plates hitting together.
If i open the roof a crack it lessens the sound
Help Jack THANKS

Old 03-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I think the best way to proceed, and to either find or exclude the sunroof as the cause, is to take out the inner panel from it.

First, tilt your roof fully upward, and check through the slot outside if the inner panel is even on both sides.
It is kind of hanging from the steel roof, and you will see a gap, but if one side is lower than the other side, something is wrong.

After that, try to pull the panel backwards through the slot.
The inner panel is held by 2 spring clips at the front, they will release if you pull.
Once you try to slide it out a bit, it will catch on the steel roof.
This is caused by 2 other springs, you can pull them down while you slide the panel out further.

If the panel is out, check if the front clips and the 2 center clips are in good order.

If all OK, it might be the tilting mechanism of the steel roof itself, but first check the above.

PS. Is the small inner panel (the one which slides backwards if you open the roof) still in place, and held both left and right, or just one side?
Of do you have a black gap?

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof leaking-jaguar_0010.jpg  

Last edited by ericjansen; 03-07-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Default Thank you ericjansen

Thank you for the information on my sun roof.
This sounds like my rattle is comming from the roof.
I will check it out ASAP
The car is in a shop having the timing tensioners replaced
Thanking you i advance Jack

Old 06-08-2017, 04:32 AM

My sunroof has an opening in the front. From the outside, the sunroof is not flushed at an even level. Thus, water leaking in. I will check the drain hole but I highly doubt it's that.

From my readings and research, ppl are staying it's the bolt/clips being melted over time bc of the heat or resetting the sunroof mechanism. How can I check without removing the liner? I can follow direction via video or step by step instructions.

Please guide and help! I am not willing to pay $1600-$2000! Ugh.
I've attached pictures of the gap.

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof leaking-img_0888.jpg   Sunroof leaking-img_0911.jpg