XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Trac Not Available/Failsafe Engine Mode/ASC Not Available messages

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trac Not Available/Failsafe Engine Mode/ASC Not Available messages

I own a 2003 XJR. All three of these codes came up at the same time. It has happened twice. On both occasions after I turned the engine off and restarted it, the codes went away. Does anyone know what causes them?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Any OBD codes thrown at the same time? I know bad power connections inside the ABS module can throw asc/trac faults. Low battery/alt voltage can cause this as well. I don't remember if that will throw the failsafe error as well.

Also possibly slightly dirty wheel speed sensors?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

What type of driving was it before it happened? ....after a highway drive, after in town driving, were you driving it hard or just casual driving?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
What type of driving was it before it happened? ....after a highway drive, after in town driving, were you driving it hard or just casual driving?

Very casual driving. 15 MPH. Ironically it was within half a mile of the identical location both times. Slow city driving. No racing or towing.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by nilanium
Any OBD codes thrown at the same time? I know bad power connections inside the ABS module can throw asc/trac faults. Low battery/alt voltage can cause this as well. I don't remember if that will throw the failsafe error as well.

Also possibly slightly dirty wheel speed sensors?

No OBD codes. I am going to take it in Friday but it might not matter if the error messages are not showing anymore.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

When you say no OBD codes do you mean just P codes checked with a generic code reader? Transmission, ABS and other systems are not covered by P codes.

A weak battery can cause the symptoms you reported, so having the battery load tested and alternator checked would be important, at least to eliminate them as sources of trouble.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with advice to check battery. Put it on a charger and get it fully charged. One of the best lessons I have learned on this forum is that when weird, funky stuff starts happening, the battery is always Public Enemy #1. I now keep my '99 XJ8 on a maintenance charger every time I park it at home based on sound advice I received here, and this stuff has stopped happening. Give it a try. It's free and it just might work!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy
Agree with advice to check battery. Put it on a charger and get it fully charged. One of the best lessons I have learned on this forum is that when weird, funky stuff starts happening, the battery is always Public Enemy #1. I now keep my '99 XJ8 on a maintenance charger every time I park it at home based on sound advice I received here, and this stuff has stopped happening. Give it a try. It's free and it just might work!
Indeed, I've employed the same regimen w/ a NOCO Genius G1100 charger & all of my little gremlins have vanished.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

Along with the previous suggestions, and in that same format, be sure to check your ground cable lanyard from the battery to the body. I had done a basic check of mine for another issue and it seemed fine. Then later found it to be bad when the issue arose again.

The following users liked this post:
CarGuy (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ground Cable Issue?

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Along with the previous suggestions, and in that same format, be sure to check your ground cable lanyard from the battery to the body. I had done a basic check of mine for another issue and it seemed fine. Then later found it to be bad when the issue arose again.
Great suggestion for a regular inspection item. I'm curious. Was it galvanic corrosion, rust, frayed strands? What had gone bad, and what do you think caused it?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm not sure your mechanic will be able to tell much -- I don't believe anything is stored if it did not hold a code.

The car uses what is called a CAN network to operate -- everything is interconnected. If the car looses any inputs it goes into this mode.

The Tbody holds the TPS and PPS both are culprits as is the brake switch. Try pushing the throttle to the floor a bunch of times (engine/ignition off) -- this may clean both the TBody sensors. They are both very sensitive to dirt and sit in a very narrow range all the time -- I had the same issue around 4 years ago .. this eliminated my problem.

Battery -- can't be overstated ... if yours is 5 years old .. replace it. I was getting the shutdown last year.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I had all of those things happen on my car. After checking the battery it was the alternator. Had it rebuilt charged the battery. Good for 3 years then had to replace the battery. It was just shy of 5 years old.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Interesting, I have a thread started on the same thing and my answer and my research leads to a faulty throttle body yet no one here has mentioned that to Steve W

Old 01-25-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CarGuy
Great suggestion for a regular inspection item. I'm curious. Was it galvanic corrosion, rust, frayed strands? What had gone bad, and what do you think caused it?
Wow, where'd ya pull that one out of...lol...galvanic, you mean the corrosion created from two different metals in conjunction with battery fluid? No and yes, I don't believe it was that solely, I believe it was from a combination from being in a stagnate position constantly that the metal became brittle from doing its job and dissipating excess energy. Its possible an inferior metal was used and it broke down? There was no fraying, as a matter of fact it looked in quite good condition, seemed pliable enough on the outside.
What happened was the car was dead after shutting it down for a few hours. The interior lights worked on door opening and it dinged when I put the key in. I went to start it and everything went out, even the clock. This being the second time it had done it, I waited about 5 minutes this time listening and checking, then I went into the battery compartment and grabbed the lanyard and it was warm. I knew I had my culprit then.
I went over to my indy to talk to him about it and he had just taken one off of an XK, ironic as that moment was. Bottom line, age got it, like it gets us all.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Interesting, I have a thread started on the same thing and my answer and my research leads to a faulty throttle body yet no one here has mentioned that to Steve W
Now why would we want to give him a direct answer, that would be too easy. I have to say I don't recall reading that post JT....dang, I have to catch up

Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 on checking the battery and/or alternator voltage
+1 on checking the soldering points for the ABS pump connection inside the ABS module. Had the ASC/TRAC message increasing intermittently (from once/3 month a year ago to daily during the last few weeks before Christmas). It always showed up after driving awhile, especially when the engine compartment got warmed up when stopping at lights or in traffic jams. Since resoldering my issue vanished completely.

Did the issue appear only twice or did you experience it again in the meantime?

Old 01-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
If you read my post #11 .. I point to the Tbody?

a common problem with the sensor failure .. some of the early non-SC car's have a service action regarding the Tbody replacement. No parts are available --- replacement only. Some have used a rebuilder.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 PM

I took it to the Jaguar service place. Of course the messages were not showing this time. The only thing they could find was the code b1229. They switched the relays between the AC and TB to see if anything changes.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

.....and, and, and??? ..ewww, the anticipation:icon_beamm e:

Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 PM

I drove it for two days and it hasn't happened again. Eventually I will find out what is actually causing it.