XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vapour barrier and weather shield install

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Vapour barrier and weather shield install

Hi

Just installed a "PVC inner weathershield" to my drivers side door as it was missing. And reinstalled the vapour barrier with new sealant.

My weathershield, as it's called in the workshop manual, was missing. Probably some mechanic that has removed it at some time.

What you need is a new door sized PVC sheet and glue. Butyl tape is also needed if the adhesive on the vapour barrier is dried up.
This is also a good time to lube the window regulator and other bits.

Disconnect the battery.
Remove the door panel, the procedure is described in the forums somewhere It's a good idea to have some extra door clips because some will probably break.
Remove the vapour barrier.

Cut the plastic sheet to size, I just held mine up against the door and cut it a razor.
Leave some excess on the top that is as wide as the base of the window.

Push the sheet down into the door in the gap between the glass and door

The window regulator and motor needs to be unbolted, but not removed.
Secure the window with some tape.

There are 4 torx screws, T30 or T35 and 2 10mm nuts.

The window regulator and motor is supposed to be on the outside of the plastic so you need to slide the plastic between the door and regulator assembly.
Then reinstall the regulator and motor screws and nuts.

Glue on the plastic at the window base and trim of the excess. I pulled on the plastic so it's nice and tight and won't interfere with the regulator.

Trim any excess inside the door, especially in the bottom to avoid water collecting and so the plastic doesn't cover the drain holes.

You want to make sure that the window rails are clear of your new weather shield. A small horizontal cut was required in the front of the door near the door check because of a bracket.

Then reinstall the vapour barrier. Mine had dried up adhesive so I applied a strip of butyl tape. It's a sticky liquorice like substance that will remain sticky.

Almost done Just reinstall the door panel, just make sure the window can move up and down correctly before bolting every thing on. Remember to remove the tape that secured the window. And connecting the battery

I don't know how important this inner weather shield is but it's probably there for a reason. Even without it the inside of my door looked like new but I suspect that it has seldom seen rain. But since my car has moved from sunny California to somewhat damper Sweden it's probably a good idea to have it

Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I've seen some cars develop pools of water in the foot wells, because the weather shields were missing. Incredible how much water can come in. Worth replacing for sure.