XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VDP Speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDP Speaker problem

Hello all! New guy here.

I just picked up an 02 XJ8 VDP, and I have a strange speaker problem. Always when I turn on the car, all the speakers work, but within a few minutes, sometimes much longer, the passenger side speakers will all cut out. If I shut off and restart the car, they will work again. I also tried reconnecting the plug in the amp, and it would do the same thing. Has anyone had this issue before, or any ideas?

Thanks!

Dave

Old 11-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I would start by checking the connection between the head unit & the speakers, checking that there is no breach between the 2. I had issues with speakers acting similar when my head unit's output to speakers were shorted out.

Clarification : My issue was that the outputs on my head unit to my speakers were faulty & short circuiting, causing me intermediate symptoms like you describe.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-03-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I'll check that out tomorrow. did you have to replace the head unit or were you able to repair it? Whats strange to me is that they will always work when the car starts up. Even if the car is off for just a few seconds.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by darinus
Okay I'll check that out tomorrow. did you have to replace the head unit or were you able to repair it? Whats strange to me is that they will always work when the car starts up. Even if the car is off for just a few seconds.
Yes I did replace the H.U. but that's not the only cure, I was told the outputs could be soldered back to functionality. But the cost was equal or greater to finding another OEM H.U. or replacing with a modern set-up, I chose modern.

Mind you, I had another person doing my work, so if you are doing your own, it's a different equation.

Note : My symptoms were erratic & largely remedied with restarts as well, I was told that was just a fading solder joint/connection & in my case it could handle the initial load but would fade out.

Test your outputs & proceed accordingly.

Welcome & good luck !

Last edited by King Charles; 11-03-2017 at 11:41 PM.