XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What is this? Need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this? Need help

Hi y'all,
I had an accident and had to get some work done on the front end. I was inspecting my suspension and the general undercarage when I noticed this reservoir that looked like it holds antifreeze. It seems to be missing a connection, empty, and I'm very concerned. Can y'all help me identify what this is and that it is intact not connected properly.

Thanks,
Stephen This is behind the drivers side headlight, notice the open outlet. 2000 Jaguar XJR x308

Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

Overflow tank, there's a hose going into it from the top that goes to the expansion tank under the hood

Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 on what Nilanium said.
No need to worry at all. It is supposed to catch all excess antifreeze which overflows from the expansion tank due to atmospheric pressure and/or overpressure in the coolant system. The expansion tank's cap functions kind a like a valve which allows excess coolant to flow into the atmospheric bottle when the coolant pressure rises above 1 bar (if I remember the numbers right). It will be sucked back if the pressure has dropped (e.g. the engine cools down).
Cheers, Alexander