XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What to replace an XJ8 with

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
Default What to replace an XJ8 with

I currently drive an '03 XJR, with a tick over 200k miles. I have another 7 months or so to pay on it (don't ask lol), and I'm sure there'll be another 20k miles on top of that by then. In light of all the little things creeping up, and the ongoing cost of maintaining all those little things, I would like to relegate the car into occasional use instead of daily. The value of a high mileage XJR wouldn't justify selling it or trading it in, considering what a classic looking piece it is. I'd rather keep it on the side.

That said, it's time to think of what will come to replace it. And while it's easy to just go find a Toyota or something reliable, that just wouldn't be my style. I've always liked finding something a little out of the norm, which is to say, anything that isn't a big-3 vehicle around these parts. So I'm looking for unique car ideas, ideally under 20k. I'm not loyal to a particular region, be it German, Italian, etc. My last was a BMW 3-series, and I'd like to avoid BMWs again. Not that I don't have a love for them, I think they're great especially for a DIY'er. But nowadays, they're a dime a dozen. Three in my work parking lot now, since I've moved to the XJR.

One that had caught my eye recently was a Maserati Quattroporte GT, and I've also looked at a few other ideas from Porsche, Range Rover, and the like. Cars that look expensive to today's non-trained co-workers, but are actually more affordable. I'm not opposed to DIY'ing whenever I can, and i'm not afraid of most things, but I'm also trying to avoid buying something that won't last a year without major undoings.

So for now, I'm just looking for random ideas to add to a list and go from there. What have you guys either replaced your XJ8 with, complimented it with, or looking forward to?

Old 06-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

A man after my own heart...................I think there can be only one choice, the Maserati Quattroporte!

Amazing value for money, and styling to die for.

Looks like you can pick up nice low mileage (under 50K) 5th Gen examples for under $20K, and really low mileage examples for not much more.

I think most are frightened by the name, exotic, Italian, etc. but as with Jaguars I think if you do your research, can do your own maintenance, and be sure to buy the best lowest mileage one you can find, they can be a very satisfying vehicle.

I'm pretty sure it would be the only one in your work parking lot!

Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

With the same issue, I switched to a new Lincoln Continental: almost exact same size and lots of leg room in the back. With the 2.7L twin turbo, it has 335 ponies and flies. Nicely assembled, first car I have ever owned with zero warranty issues at 6 months. BUT . . . Ford announced they will quit building it in two years which makes it nearly worthless at trade time (leasing). Maybe back to Land Rover . . .

Old 06-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I got rid of my 2015 Maserati Ghibli last year, I was seriously under whelmed w/ it's "feel". My youth's dream car was a Maserati, then low behold I get one & my heart breaks lol. Just underwhelming performance in such a sexy package. It handled like a go-kart on certain road conditions, the creaks & moans were developing before I even hit 25K on the odometer.

I'm currently pondering going back to the Infiniti & Lexus tribe. I never had an issue with those that wasn't easily remedied. If I could find a low mileage relic/ Q-45 that would be awesome lol !

W/ hindsight being 20/20 the only car I had that came close to the X308 for me was a 1992 Mazda 929 I found one w/ a minuscule 40K on the clock circa 2007-2010. It had the rear wheel drive w/ around 200 HP & a vaguely similar design. Absolutely silent w/ zero cabin noise & handled like a dream. Some of those Mazda guys refer to it as the "Japanese Jaguar" lol. Really nice old school car that met it's demise via sitting in a parking lot that got pillaged by a drunken trash truck driver, go figure.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-07-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by King Charles
I got rid of my 2015 Maserati Ghibli last year, I was seriously under whelmed w/ it's "feel". My youth's dream car was a Maserati, then low behold I get one & my heart breaks lol. Just underwhelming performance in such a sexy package. It handled like a go-kart on certain road conditions, the creaks & moans were developing before I even hit 25K on the odometer.

I'm currently pondering going back to the Infiniti & Lexus tribe. I never had an issue with those that wasn't easily remedied. If I could find a low mileage relic/ Q-45 that would be awesome lol !
That is really interesting information on the Ghibli KC, there's nothing like direct experience. I've never driven, sat in, or been within 10 ft of a Maserati Quattroporte, but they just look so cool.

I hear you on the attributes of Japanese manufacturers like Infiniti/Lexus/Toyota/Honda, their reliability is unequaled, but they just don't have "style" and "panache" that is found in other more "exotic' brands. My wife knows virtually nothing about automobiles, and won't buy anything but Honda. I'm more foolish, I buy on looks and performance above and beyond the practicalities of "reliability"!

I guess I should save up and buy a Rolls Royce/Bentley! (Which, when I think about it, isn't that crazy an idea!)

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 06-07-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Iguess I should save up and buy a Rolls Royce/Bentley! (Which, when I think about it, isn't that crazy an idea!)
Always been fond of the Bentley Arnage Red Label & Brooklands.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-07-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by King Charles
Always been fond of the Bentley Arnage Red Label or Brooklands.
Oh yes, there are some absolute bargains out there with "previously owned" Rollers and Bentleys. Talk about "style", "power" and "excessive torque!"

I am amazed a some of the superb, low mileage Bentleys that cross the Mecum and/or Barret/Jackson auctions at silly-low prices.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yes, there are some absolute bargains out there with "previously owned" Rollers and Bentleys. Talk about "style", "power" and "excessive torque!"

I am amazed a some of the superb, low mileage Bentleys that cross the Mecum and/or Barret/Jackson auctions at silly-low prices.
My associate picked up a Bentley Arnage last year, I had to drive it on a 350 mike trek. It was so smooth, but you get the urge to stomp the pedal & instant neck adjustment lol.

I'm going to keep my X308 but w/ an eye to the sky lol.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
I currently drive an '03 XJR .... In light of all the little things creeping up, and the ongoing cost of maintaining all those little things .... One that had caught my eye recently was a Maserati Quattroporte GT
That does not match up .... read the Quattroporte forums and you will never ever compain about a Jag, any Jag, any more .

That said, a Quattroporte should be number one on my (very short) list as well, but only this one:

Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The best way to experience the M GT -- is a framed picture. It's a toss up between my 93 W140 or 02 Range Rover being the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. The W140 restarted my Jaguar purchases and I bought my first Cayenne after the RR. The Cayenne is a very nice vehicle. Very few late model MB's excite me .. although I will need to replace my old E wagon soon .. and the AMG is interesting

We normally take the Cayenne on trips .... honestly, I find myself taking one of the company Prius most of the time. In and out of the city at 50 mph what difference does it make ... and I don't feel guilty taking an extra car on the weekend at 60mpg.

I still have my old 60's early 70's MB's - 911tt.

Last edited by yeldogt; 06-07-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen

SWOON!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

SWOON!

Have you ever driven ? ...... my brother had one .......my nephew has a coupe.

The sedan is IMO underwhelming in person and nothing special to drive. My nephew's coupe is M blue ... pretty car. Nothing special to drive.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt

The sedan is IMO underwhelming in person and nothing special to drive. My nephew's coupe is M blue ... pretty car. Nothing special to drive.
No, never driven, all "swoon" is based on visuals.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

I retired my x308 last summer for the same reason and daily duties have been assumed by a much newer X250. I didn't look at the x351 because they had grown too large. The XF is closer in size to the old XJ8 although the cars are otherwise nothing alike.

Another sedan I was considering that I liked, but never could find one in the used car market was the Infiniti Q70/M56 with the v8. I could only find the 3.7L to test drive. Only things I didn't like about it were the bug-eyed headlights and the hood over the instrument cluster, but other than those minor styling things I thought it was a great sedan. It would likely be more reliable than a Jaguar but oh well. Had a v8 with standard suspension come along before the XF, I probably would have bought one. Apparently something like only one in five hundred came equipped with the v8 and almost all of those were optioned with the stiffer sport suspension and 20 inch wheels with rubber band tires.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
That does not match up .... read the Quattroporte forums and you will never ever compain about a Jag, any Jag, any more
That's a very valid statement. I didn't mean that the costs were out of line, and there are certainly very valid concerns with the QP's as well as much higher costs for certain things. I'm also not sure how DIY friendly they are. I don't mind the money for regular maintenance and the such, to a degree. Obviously mileage will be a part of it, and things like that, and I've been over on the ML forums to try to read some more. Just got to the point with the XJR where it's a constant trickle of repairs needed, instead.

And as I said, it's on the list, though there's plenty of time to change my mind. Just have to not let myself buy it based solely on "omg I want that!" feels. After all, that's how I got into THIS one!

Old 06-07-2018, 10:26 PM

The best way to experience the M GT -- is a framed picture. It's a toss up between my 93 W140 or 02 Range Rover being the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. The W140 restarted my Jaguar purchases and I bought my first Cayenne after the RR. The Cayenne is a very nice vehicle. Very few late model MB's excite me .. although I will need to replace my old E wagon soon .. and the AMG is interesting

We normally take the Cayenne on trips .... honestly, I find myself taking one of the company Prius most of the time. In and out of the city at 50 mph what difference does it make ... and I don't feel guilty taking an extra car on the weekend at 60mpg.

I still have my old 60's early 70's MB's - 911tt.
The Cayenne is actually another on the list - to add an SUV to my winter work days would be a nice bonus, so any additional thoughts would be great. Likes, dislikes, etc.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

Indeed one of the most disappointing experiences in my car owning history. Don't get me started on how they handled in any kind of rain lol.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

VW Phaeton W12 would be my choice of super saloon daily driver.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:25 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

X351 XJ. As soon as you have driven one you won't rest until you own one.

... and then the fun starts.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by christ
X351 XJ. As soon as you have driven one you won't rest until you own one.

... and then the fun starts.
The place where I got my XJR has one, actually. Overpriced, but I've been tempted to stop and look at it in-depth. Looks sharp, for sure. Something about black cars :P

Quick Reply: What to replace an XJ8 with