XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Windshield Wipers ot working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers ot working

I checked the 30 amp fuse, it's good and I have two relays up front, a Wiper slow/fast relay and a wiper run/stop relay. What else could keep the Wipers form working. Aside frma bad motor. And what should I look for while troubleshooting. Right now I am inclined to replace the Wiper run/stop relay under the hood front drivers side.

Thanks in advance for help.

Pat

Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Windshield Wipers ot working

Well, posted to soon. Apparently the two relays up front are identical. I swapped them out and the wipers work. A new relay at the Jag dealer is $25.00 bucks. My CD manual I bought off eBay just paid for itself.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

What is the message? It may just need some tweaking - Your computer that is.

Norcal: That was going to be my first suggestion to swap relays - common problem, but you beat me to it.
Also make sure the nut that holds on the wiper arm is tight. They come loose and will make you think the wipers not working again. They are but just not moving the arm.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM

Orca99usa,
Post the error message. It could be a device driver. I had to install a DAO driver from Microsoft that was on the CD distribution. You can get more than your car fixed on this forum.

FJT, thanks for watching.. I wish I had the service manuals you have access to. Although between my AE scanner /Jag bundle and the 2 CD manuals.. I am humming along.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:23 AM

I got a cd repair manual and it was a little tricky to install but it really is nice to have.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Wipers not working

XJ8 2004

Getting on for 3 months owned by me.

Love the car, makes me feel special and is a joy to ride.

However, windshield wipers have stopped working overnight.

I read the above posts, checked the fuses - all are good - and think it's probably a relay gone. Where are they located and where can I buy them?

I phoned my Jag dealership with the problem, but since no-one phoned me back I presume they think I can fix it myself! So I'm going to try and fix it myself.

Is the relay a universal part with ford, or is it specific to jag?

Can I buy it off the net?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Wipers not working

THe relays are behind drivers side headlamp. Two identical relays. Swap them with each other first.
Also when you turn the wipers on, lift up the cover over the nut at bottom of wiper arm and see if it is moving. Most common problem is the nut coming loose.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Just had the wipers fail on a run and found the relay swapping trick worked a treat. Another bill avoided thanks to this forum.

The question is now that I've swapped them, and I have the wipers working again, and they still seem to go fast and slow by moving the stalk, do I need to buy new relays? If so can I get them for an online parts retailer or do I have to go to the dealer ?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Never hurts to have a spare relay around. Most in the car are the same part number and are available for a third of what the dealer parts counter charges.

You probably disturbed the corrosion that was the underlying issue when you swapped the relays and may never see it again.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi

I have the same problem with the wipers on a 98 XJ8
my mechanic tested the fuse, relays and motor. He says relays were fine, fuse fine and motor, with direct current running through it worked - anything else come to mind?

Last edited by obriendob; 12-15-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 1,060 Posts

contacts? does a direct feed to the motor get a response? Maybe chase the stalk end if the motor is good.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had TWO distinct wiper issues with my 3003 XJ8. One is the run/stop relay. Easy fix is to swap the two relays behind the driver (LHD) headlight. This will prevent the fast sweep mode from working till it is replaced. It is $12.65 from link...
http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS
(no affiliation)
Secondly, there is a micro switch inside the motor housing. A temporary fix is to just remove the broken contact and bend out the remainder of the contact to complete the circuit - the switch can also be replaced, cheaper than buying a new motor.

The following users liked this post:
screichl (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand new to the forum too, and gotta say thanks for the fantastic info from all of you. Wife's 2004 XJ8 wipers just died as well, but looks like I have everything I need here to get the job done easily. Thank you!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SARC
Just had the wipers fail on a run and found the relay swapping trick worked a treat. Another bill avoided thanks to this forum.

The question is now that I've swapped them, and I have the wipers working again, and they still seem to go fast and slow by moving the stalk, do I need to buy new relays? If so can I get them for an online parts retailer or do I have to go to the dealer ?
There are two relays. Both the same part number LNA6706AA located
next to each other. Black in color. 30 Amp rating. One operates wiper moter, the other operates wash cycles, and perhaps part of the wiper functions. My cost at the Jag dealer was $18.20 each.

Burza 1998 Vanden Plas

Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Kyd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 xj8 windscreen wipers not working

Originally Posted by tyasco
Hi,

Brand new to the forum, but gotta say you guys rock! My wife's 04 XJ8 wipers failed on one of the rainiest days we've had (go figure!). I googled the issue and your thread came up. I went to her office where the car was, checked the fuse, but not blown. Switched the relays and wipers worked! Had to go to Jag dealer for a new relay, since I didn't want to wait for shipment of one from a web dealer. Not too bad, ended up costing just over $10.

For reference on 2004 XJ8, fuse box with the wiper electronics is under hood on passenger side. Fuse is #26 (40A), relay is LJA6707AA. Dealer replacement number for relay is 02C234433.
Your post confused me... I have an '04 xj8 also...same problem... wiper functions A,B,C,D and E are not working... The Wash/Wipe button WORKS... so does the "Flicker" mode (pull back on the stalk)... My manual shows the fuse in the cabin at position #1 (an absolute bitch to reach, I lost 2 fuse pullers and one fuse!). Jag manual Pg 6-23 show the fuse box in the cabin... where do you find it's under the hood? I don't see that in my 2004 xj8 manual... JeffreyLear@SBCGlobal.net

I found that fust #26 in the under the hood fuse box (Pg 6-25) Why would there be 2 fuses, under the hood and in the cabin??? How brasar is that???

Last edited by Kyd; 07-19-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I FOUND THE FUSE INFO for position 26, under the hood
Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my 98 XJ8 L about a week ago. Did not bother checking the wiper function. Discovered in a rain storm it does not work. Previous owner must have relied on RainX. Was able to make my way home through the beaded up water on the windshield. Read through the forum, then went back to look things over.

I had one fuse that was burnt out. It was a 25 am fuse, pictured below.
Or maybe not. I may not know how to upload pictures yet. Anyhow, it was a 25 amp fuse furtherst outboard, right next to one of the relays. I replaced it, finished up everything else I was doing (oil change, spark plug change, etc...) finished up and went for a drive. Wipers still did not work.

Checked the fuse, and it was blown again. Put in a 30 just to see if electricity would get to the wipers. It blew the 30, also. Tried to put the wipers in the off position (not even sure what that is), and put in another 30 with the plan on checking it before turning on the wipers, then after, to be sure this is the right fuse. It blew as soon as I put it in. In fact, it sorta welded itself in there and I had to work a little to get it out.

Is this the wiper fuse? Everything else seems to be working, so I am assuming it is. Sounds like I have a short somewhere that is most likely beyond my capabilities to trace down. Already have an appointment at the dealer for Monday. I'm sure they will be happy to fix it for the price of a boat payment....

Attached Thumbnails  Windshield Wipers ot working-img-20140705-00002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers ot working