XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X 308 - Best Jaguar ever?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts
Default X 308 - Best Jaguar ever?

I think there is a good argument that the X308 series was the best regular production Jaguar ever. I am not a Jaguar historian and have only owned one Jaguar so I would like to hear other people’s opinion.

I am talking about regular production cars and not specialty cars like the XKSS.

In my opinion, the X308 retains the beautiful, low slung classic lines of the beautiful Lyons era cars with successful modernization of the classic cars. The X350 lines try to keep the classic lines but appear bloated to me. I think this was done to increase the interior and trunk space. There have been a lot of design disasters when car companies try to modernize older classic designs, but Jaguar got it right.

The interior of the X308 is beautifully executed with wood and leather in the classic Jaguar style, soft and warm - not too modern or harsh. The visibility is great in these cars due to the low slung trunk and more upright (not steeply raked) windshield.

The engine and electronics are modern, a significant improvement over the 70s and 80s car. While the XKE series may be the most beautiful car ever, the electronics and mechanicals can’t compete with the more modern cars.

Jaguar’s first 8 cylinder engine is a gem, smooth powerful and quiet.

The car is quiet, fast and handles well and gets decent gas mileage for a car of its size.

The cars were relatively reliable and well put together, probably thanks to Ford’s input. In fact, I think they were among the best cars in initial quality rated by JD Power – something unheard of from prior Jaguars.

It would be interesting to get other’s opinions about this.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Agree

I tend to agree. My Father had a number of Jags when I was growing up, from a Mark 2, 420G to numerous XJ6's. I always loved the XJ6 body style, and I think the XJ8/X308 styling perfected that look. The more modern Jags just don't catch the eye in the same way as an X308.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I agree....but I see no reason not to include the X300s as well, both 6 and 12 cylinder. Same great styling...the differeneces are very subtle....and both engines were quite good.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I agree....but I see no reason not to include the X300s as well, both 6 and 12 cylinder. Same great styling...the differeneces are very subtle....and both engines were quite good.

Cheers
DD
In my mind, the X300 in the R version can be argued to be the absolute pinnacle.

The dash is better, the engine is arguably more reliable, and the entire vehicle seems
to be easier to diy by all accounts. And it has a LSD.

The V8 might have more horsepower, but I think the torque figures are quite close.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by badger2196
I tend to agree. My Father had a number of Jags when I was growing up, from a Mark 2, 420G to numerous XJ6's. I always loved the XJ6 body style, and I think the XJ8/X308 styling perfected that look. The more modern Jags just don't catch the eye in the same way as an X308.
Badger: I tend to agree. While I think the 308 is an absolutely beautiful car, in my own opinion, the S3 XJ6 just kills it in looks. Really really love that style: British class and graceful lines.

(and this from a colonial who's 30+ year passion has been restoring Lotuses)

Old 09-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I can relate - grew up with a father owning XJS and XJ's. The X308 has me still loving the style but with 21 century technology (call it reliability if you want). My xj8 is my daily driver. Now, I personally would slightly lean towards X300 being the true pinnacle. There is something about the majesty of that car and its "true jaguar" inline 6.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Badger: I tend to agree. While I think the 308 is an absolutely beautiful car, in my own opinion, the S3 XJ6 just kills it in looks. Really really love that style: British class and graceful lines.

(and this from a colonial who's 30+ year passion has been restoring Lotuses)

When it comes to the "which-looks-best?" contest owners of any-and-everything else will cry 'foul' if you bring a Ser III into the mix. That's how good looking it is.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
bdboyle (04-11-2017), XJRay (10-05-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blue_XJ8
Now, I personally would slightly lean towards X300 being the true pinnacle. There is something about the majesty of that car and its "true jaguar" inline 6.

"Jaguar" and "straight 6" just naturally go together, like a hand in a glove.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree...

Old 09-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

DD
That was a great engine for sure.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

When it comes to the "which-looks-best?" contest owners of any-and-everything else will cry 'foul' if you bring a Ser III into the mix. That's how good looking it is.

Cheers
DD

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I think the S3 looks a lot worse than the X308. The huge black bumpers, chintzy looking rear view mirrors, and wheels do not look good IMO. I prefer the XJ6 SI which seems to get very little mention and the XJ6C looks good too. IMO it's similar to the SI E-type, started off beautiful, but by its final years, the design got a lot worse in order to satisfy safety regulations.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers
DD
Add the TR6 tone and it becomes nirvana ripping up the freeway ramps.

Of course it might not be achievable because one was DOHC and the other was a conventional valve arrangement. Also 4.0L vs 2.5L

Old 09-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Add the TR6 tone and it becomes nirvana ripping up the freeway ramps.

That would simply be too much to ask for

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by burmaz
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I think the S3 looks a lot worse than the X308.

GASP!

The huge black bumpers, chintzy looking rear view mirrors, and wheels do not look good IMO. I prefer the XJ6 SI which seems to get very little mention and the XJ6C looks good too. IMO it's similar to the SI E-type, started off beautiful, but by its final years, the design got a lot worse in order to satisfy safety regulations.

There's no denying that the Ser I is a real sweetheart in the looks department but the Ser IIIs really do it for me.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (10-05-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

That would simply be too much to ask for

Cheers
DD
But if you did manage it, you would never consider selling the car. Coils, tramlining, rust ... no problem ... repair and keep the exhaust note

After the last convo on the topic of TR6 exhaust, I had a look around and it's nothing spectacular. Just a pipe to the back, hang a muffler at the very rear. Droning? No idea. I guess it wasn't noticable in a open TR6.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Well, I went from a 99 Lexus LS400 to a 2000 Jaguar XJ8. Lexus of course was well-engineered, but nobody ever, not once, complimented the Lexus. The Jaguar gets a nod or a thumbs-up or a comment probably once or twice a week. When I grew up, if you had a 4-door car, you were driving a hand-me-down from your parents. There was literally only one 4-door sedan that I thought was cool and that was the XJ (the S3 was current when I was a teen but I liked them all). The X300 & 308 are an excellent modernization. The X350 was an exceptional update in technology but despite the bloating, it at least it still looked like a Jaguar. The current XJ unfortunately looks more like a Lexus than a Jaguar. As much as I love the X308, its starting to show some geriatric quirks and I'm spending more and more time fixing little things (just soldered those pesky ABS circuit board connections today). I am seriously anxious about what I'll get next because I need that smooth ride for my bad back but I don't like anything newer.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I bought my wife her 1999 XJ8L eleven years ago. I have tried several times to trade her up to the last year of the 308 series, but she will not part with it. She will get a compliment every time she takes it out. It may not be the most modern looking car on the road...But you know it is a "JAG". Just about all the new cars look like a Honda...lexus...acura...camery...ect,ect. There is little difference. Remove all the badging and name plates and they could almost pass for the same car. Look at a VW "CC" and a merc CL500. from a distance they are the same car. That is one reason we drive our JAGs and not the other stuff..

The following users liked this post:
Johntechwriter (03-23-2018)
Old 09-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
As much as I love the X308, its starting to show some geriatric quirks and I'm spending more and more time fixing little things (just soldered those pesky ABS circuit board connections today). I am seriously anxious about what I'll get next because I need that smooth ride for my bad back but I don't like anything newer.
Curious about what soldering you did - was it to the ABS unit or just the light in the dash that you're talking about? My ABS light came on and the ATC/TRAC light showed up twice but mechanic said numbers were coming back fine - within spec. Is there a write up regarding the ABS unit?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
I bought my wife her 1999 XJ8L eleven years ago. I have tried several times to trade her up to the last year of the 308 series, but she will not part with it. She will get a compliment every time she takes it out. It may not be the most modern looking car on the road...But you know it is a "JAG". Just about all the new cars look like a Honda...lexus...acura...camery...ect,ect. There is little difference. Remove all the badging and name plates and they could almost pass for the same car. Look at a VW "CC" and a merc CL500. from a distance they are the same car. That is one reason we drive our JAGs and not the other stuff..
Very strange.

Have you pointed out that the 1999 and 2003 are identical except that the parts are four years newer? That means she could keep a 2003 four years more, all other things being equal.

Of course, given market prices, if you keep shopping she may decide to start stockpiling them as spares.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by alphacat
Curious about what soldering you did - was it to the ABS unit or just the light in the dash that you're talking about? My ABS light came on and the ATC/TRAC light showed up twice but mechanic said numbers were coming back fine - within spec. Is there a write up regarding the ABS unit?
Happened to me starting Monday and then was sort of intermittent, I guess as the computer goes through its checks upon starting the car, often would detect a fault, sometimes not depending on whether or not the cracked solder joint was in contact or not that particular moment. Sure enough, upon disassembly I found the cracked solder joints just as others had. I won't call it fixed tho until I have driven the car for a week without it coming back.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-repair-62539/

There's also a writeup on Jag-Lovers and even a video on youtube showing how to do it.

Quick Reply: X 308 - Best Jaguar ever?