XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ8 not starting first time

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJ8 not starting first time

Hi all!

I know this could be a wide range of different problems, but was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Yesterday my Jag didn't start until the third time of asking. Cranked it three times all times the engine turned but was not starting; third time it started perfectly and still drives perfectly. Was out and about in it a few times yesterday and for the rest of the day started perfectly first time aswell. It's only happened twice in a space of 5 months so it isn't a majorly recurring problem (yet)

Any ideas what it could be? Should I be worried?

Thanks!!

Old 04-02-2017, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Start with cheap simple basic maintenance....fuel filter and check plugs. Its possible with the inconsistence of it, it may be the MAF? You can clean the MAF, but be sure you use a MAF only cleaner. I wouldn't be all fired up about throwing a bunch at it after the basic maintenance check. If its a failing part, it will throw a code in time and you can be more direct in your approach.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 968 Likes on 767 Posts

How old is the battery? If it's more than 3 years old, replace it. Autocraft Gold (autozone) works very well in these cars.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

A failing fuel pump or check valve will have the same effect. Every time you turn the ignition on the pump runs briefly and it may take a couple of bursts to get the pressure up.

You can test by turning the ignition on and connecting a pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail or just depressing it and seeing if you get a strong spurt of fuel. Put a rag under it.