XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR hose issue, what is this hose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts
Default XJR hose issue, what is this hose?

Long story short: 10 miles away from my parking space I get a low coolant light, engine temp is fine so it was no concern, I get off the interstate and low coolant light goes away, problem solved I think. 1 mile away from parking space low coolant light again, 500 feet from parking space I get low coolant light and maxed out engine temp. I park the car and shut it off. I open up the hood and the little tube that runs from god knows where to the water pump crossover bridge (maybe) is broken off at the connector. (See picture attached)

I think the hose is fine but the male part of the connector is broken off in the female part of the hose. is it possible to just buy the connector (doesn't seem very jaguar-like to sell only the connector but I could be lucky)

any advice?

thank you,
Cole

Attached Thumbnails XJR hose issue, what is this hose?-coolant-hose-close-up.jpg   XJR hose issue, what is this hose?-xjr-coolant-hose.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I know that they were available -- But this is the type of part that can often later only be available with the hose.

The problem you may have is that the hose is often the failure point - they get brittle and crack -- especially when they are moved while checking or working around the engine. Take a good look to see if the hose is OK

I would call the dealer and find out if they are available separately and if they are try to remove the old part from the hose. You many not be able to without damage. Otherwise remove the whole hose and take it to the dealer to make sure you get the correct one.

The ends just unclip with a squeeze and a stiff pull - two "o" rings

Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

This fittings gets very brittle and breaks as mine did. The hose and connector are 1 part. it is not expensive, $19.30 from Jagbits.com

Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 PM

found the part for $19.30 that seems like a reasonable price, thanks for the info

thank you guys for the advice, got the hose out but the male part of the clip is now broken off inside of the water pump crossover bridge. I have been using a little screw driver to pry out the rest of it but it keeps breaking apart into little pieces. I have a pile of plastic bits on my supercharger snout but hopefully I can get the rest out tomorrow.

thank you,
Cole

Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

same here, mine came out in tiny pieces. a real pain. I threaded the new house under the intercooler from the coolant reservior forward.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

temporary fix is to take off the plastic connector clips and hook-up a 1/2 ordinary heater hose (or whatever standard diameter hose it is).

I had one of these tubes break at the same place that led from the top of the radiator to the coolant tank. Tried to temporary fix the tube to the connector so I can get home. Went for about a mile when the fix broke and luckily it broke in front of an autoparts store. Got pissed and took off the connector and found it covered a 1/2 standard tube. Bought a straight heater hose and worm clips and I was on my way home.

Afterward bought the correct tube online and drove the car in the meantime with no problem.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:12 PM

just did the 1/2 inch hose trick, that seems to work pretty well. I should be able to order and replace with the proper hose within the next week. thank you for the suggestion

Old 09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where you are in Virginia, but if you're in Tidewater, I'd call Nally Jag in Atlanta for parts rather than go to the local dealership. Dan, at Nally, and I are on a first name basis. lol The service has been great and there is a 15% discount if you mention that you're a member of the forum.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default little hose problem

Forget screwdriver
Had exactly same problem 6 days ao forget the little screwdriver only works a bit inside.
Solution small wire cone brush slowly rotate w/ drill . It will push/pull out small residual .
Was at a fast food place filling cups w/ water to get home.
Now no more problems txs to little wire brush.