XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1988 XJ6 Vanden Plas - Some Issues & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 XJ6 Vanden Plas - Some Issues & Questions

Hello All!

New member here with a recently inherited 1988 XJ6.

A little history on the car:
It used to be my grampa's daily driver. He was a huge Jaguar fanatic and had about 7 total at one point.
He also was an auto mechanic and owned his own shop for longer than I was alive(before he passed a few years back).
This Jaguar was probably his most favorite, aside from the 1971 XJ6L in his stable.
As of now, the car has 83,8xx miles. pretty good for a 24 year old car!
It has been sitting "in storage" in my parents' driveway and hasn't been driven in the past 2-3 years.
My dad would start it occasionally and let it idle for a bit to get the juices flowing. I have recently decided to drive it about in honor of my grampa and wanted to get it in working condition.

Progress:
Here is a short list of the repairs/maintenance I've completed thus far.

New battery
Oil Change (10-40) & new oil filter (took it to a lube shop, they checked all other fluids and advised everything else looked good)
New tires (old tires were weathered and cracking)
Electrical repair for a short in the driverside taillight assembly(dad called up a local mechanic that actually used to work with my grampa, however seems the fix he performed didn't hold though. he told me that the guy re-soldered all the connections in the taillight module. is there a better fix for this?)
Fuel injector cleaner additive to fuel tank (read either honline this might help remedy the fueling error and clean up the injectors, however error still pops up)

Issues:
I am getting the following readings on the VCM.

Circuit 1 Failure
Bulb Failure
Circuit 2 Failure (intermittent display)
Brake Pressure Failure (intermittent display)
Fueling Failure (intermittent display)

The ride certainly feels softer than I recall when I used to ride in the car with my grampa years ago.
I suspect an issue with the self leveling hydraulic suspension system. However, I haven't found a proper way to diagnose the system. I'm also trying to figure out how to refill the hydraulic fluid.

I also suspect the front driverside wheel bearings are shot, or perhaps the wheel is out of balance/alignment.

The driverside taillight/turn signal is not lighting, might have to do with the Circuit 1 Failure & Bulb Failure notifications on the VCM.

Aside from these issues, the car starts, runs, and drive remarkably well considering it has been sitting for as long as it did.

If any of you wise and knowledgeable members could point me in the right direction on repairing these issues I would be most grateful!

Lastly, here is a photo of the car(I also posted this photo on my intro thread, hope that's OK!)

Name:  0d1b6546.jpg
Views: 2922
Size:  105.6 KB

Oh, one last thing...does anyone know of a site online where I can order genuine Jaguar parts?
I'd like to replace the front wheel hub/lugnut caps, passenger side rear view mirror, and some wood grain fascia trims.
A little searching revealed: www.jagbits.com & www.jaguarparts.com, however I have no personal experience with either.

Cheers!

-Daniel

Last edited by constantinus; 02-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts