XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 Xj6 and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1990 Xj6 and brakes

Hello! First post!

Ok I just bought this 1990 Xj6, has 90k miles been in a few accidents but everything was fixed. Has been converted to normal rear suspension. So I have already replaced front shocks, and steering rack, and new tires. had mechanic do it all.

So now my real problem, the brakes, the rear brakes do not work at all, no fluid comes into them at all. The front brakes work but only manual, IE there is no power assistance only the pressure I can supply with my leg.
I took it to a mechanic we use and he said the ABS pump assembly was broken, he said if he wiggled it the light would go off for a second, he tried to code it but could not read codes on it, he thought the pump was shorting out somewhere because he was only getting 9 volts at the code read point.
He told me the first step was to replace the power steering pump assembly (Pump, pressure monitor switch, accumulator.) Now im not tech savy with this stuff and didnt think to ask him if he unplugged the whole unit and tried to code it then. I also don't know how this unit plays into the braking system of the car, it seems to only hook to master cyl. by one small brake line.
So I did order the new unit should ship monday, but I wanted to ask someone else if they think it is probably/may be something else instead of this. I took the unit out and there appeared to be slight corrosion around the pressure monitoring switch power connector but otherwise the unit lookes in like new condition. The lights inside the car are a circle with an X, an ABS light, and BRAKE light.
I tried to bleed the rear brakes but no fluid came out at all so it seems there fluid enough up front to at least let me muscle the front brakes but nothing reaching the rear.
Any and all input greatly appucieated.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On that car, to bleed the rear brakes:
Turn ignition ON
Have assistant push brake pedal, DO NOT PUMP IT
You crack bleeder and fluid should flow, IF the pump runs.
If pump does not run, diagnose that and fix it.
Do not try to bleed the rear brakes like you would any other conventional system, it will not work.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 AM

We tried to bleed them like that, had ignition on and had brakes pushed in hard and nothing. Did not try the front brakes, we were not to concerned because usually if brakes have air etc the pedal will just go to the floor, the pedal will barely move an inch before it meets a lot of resistance. Was I wrong to make this assumption?

We took the abs pump assy. appart and pluged in just the pump (which we tested for continuity) and tested the power line for power and got 11 volts. Pump did not run at all. I followed the brake lines as much as I could from front to rear and found no visible defects or signs of wear. The pump had a bit of syrupy buildup in it but nothing that looked like it would hinder operation.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM

I talked to a guy today whom I ordered the abs pump assy. from. He told me to send in the part and he could find the broken part and replace it and send it back to me. Is there any way I could diagnose the pump myself? Hook it up directly to the battery to see if it turns? I like the prospect of a 150 dollar pump over a 450 dollar assy. if I dont need it.