XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1994 xj6 turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 xj6 turns over but wont start

Hello all,
Ill start off by saying I know practically nothing about fixing cars, Im a noob at this stuff.

about 5 weeks ago I took my xj6 off road to fix the bodywork up using filler, the car was running perfectly at this point. It took a week or so to sort the bodywork out, and spray paint the areas I worked on. But before I had chance to finish the paint spraying, it starting raining bad, and it didnt stop for a month, it turned out to be the wettest april for 100 years here in the UK.

The jags battery went flat several times during the rain, I kept jump starting it using another car, also had to reset the immobiliser. Once the rain finally stopped, I tried starting the car again, but it just turned over, it wouldnt start. I thought maybe it was out of fuel, so I filled a petty can up, however, I found under the petrol lid there was a pool of water, thier was even water under the petrol cap. I used a towel to remove the water, and then put the petrol in, but it still just turned over, wouldnt start.

So Im thinking maybe the reason the car wont start is cos its got rain water in its fuel tank, does that sound feasible?

If thats right, how can I get the water out? do I need to drain the fuel tank? if so how would I do it??

Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By chance have you started the car for a very short space of time and then turned it off.If so did the no start happen after that.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 93 xj6.What happened was the drain hose from the filler area was plugged up and a pool of water filled up the filler area.Some how the water got into the tank and car would not start.I took a long piece of hose ans syphoned all of the old gas from the tank.Then put in 5 gallons of hi test and 2 bottles of dry gas into the tank.Then i disconected the feed hose fron the fuel rail (again using a hose and a container) then turn the key on so that pump would clean out the fuel line. It takes about 10 to 12 times of turning on the switch as it only pumps for a couple of seconds each time. Then re assembled th fuel line to the rail and started the car up (it took a few tries as there was still some water in the rail.I then replaced all the spark plugs and the fuel filter,car runs fine.I would clean the drain hose also.