XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

'89 XJ6 electical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 XJ6 electical issues

It's my understanding that electrical issues are a common issue with the '89 XJ6. I purchased the car a few days ago under the pretext that it had electrical issues, which I was told was only the digital dash cluster. I did some research before purchasing the car and decided that the dash should be an easy enough fix, I haven't got that far though. I discoveed after purchasing the vehicle there was a bunch of lights, a few bulbs fixed most of those issues with the exception of two.

Currently I have no right low beam, upon trying a new bulb that didn't work I got out my tester only to discover that there is no power going to the bulb. I followed the wires to a module box that I removed so that I could check the power going into the box. At the plug there is nine prongs, four of which have power. At that point I reversed my tester by clipping it to the positive side of the battery I found that when reversed still only four of the nine prongs have power.

Also my left reverse light is not working. I tested the circuit board the blubs push into and it appears to be working, so I went to the plug with the tester. When the vehicle is in reverse there is no power coming out of the plug.

If I was working on any other type of vehicle I would simply by pass everything by running a wire to the other side for both the head light and the reverse light. Knowing that the problem still would not be fixed though I do not want to go that route. I checked all three fuse boxes and all of the fuses are fine. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice that you guys can give me. I have also printed out the wiring diagram that I had found on a different thread from this site.

A couple other issues that I would like to address at a later point after the vehicle will pass the PA state inspection is the electric gas door does not work and I have I have no idea where to purchase mineral oil or the type that is reccomended; however, I can clearly see red in the bulb that sits on top of the resivior so I assume it needs to be filled.

Thank you all for your time and assitance.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Deven,
I have an 88 XJ (VDP). I too have/had some electrical issues. Check all of your grounds is the first thing. take apart, clean, clean contact area on body, etc.
The dash itself isn't really the problem... its the entire ECU and system...LOL Lots of bugs.
IE: I get a "low coolant" warning. Coolant is fine but sensor sometimes gets stuck giving a low reading.
Anti-lock failure warning: In checking, nothing wrong with the anti-lock brakes. (could be incorrect connector on my brake pads...?)

As you have seen, you don't just replace a bulb, it may be the entire bulb circuit board. (not too many cars out there that have an entire board for a set of 4 tail lights).
Unfortunately, I can't help too much on the electrical specifics, definitely not my forte.

The gas door has its own inline fuse (try that first), it is also spring activated, with a small clip to hold it in place. Mine got all gummed up and wouldn't work. Pulled it apart, cleaned, stretched the spring a bit and voila, all set. There is a white over-ride latch next to it in the boot.

Your "local" Jag dealer should have the correct mineral oil.
SNG Barratt USA (in NH) has it available. I get it from a small dealer locally for about $9 a qt. Its readily available on eBay in the same price range.

Talk soon,

Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb BFMs...

Hi Deven welcome to the board. I read your post, it seems as though you are having trouble with the BFMs, (bulb failure modules) not uncommon, do a search here and you will see. since you located them you can isolate the problem by swapping them from side to side (L to R) if the problem follows the BFM there is your answer. Don't swap front to rear. These modules do more than send bulb failure signals so bypassing them would probably cause you more troubles. If you find one or more are bad, get the model number from them and do a search, Ebay has been a great source for me. Just buy from reliable sellers.

Good luck !

Charlie

Last edited by sleepycat; 05-25-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: oops
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just like to chime in and add that you had mention about Mineral Oil for the SLS...
I would almost bet that you car has had the SLS (self leveling system) retrofitted to conventional shocks.

Good advice given from here...Yes do check All connections...and All the grounds (clean them)...I myself had spent a great deal of time on my jag when i first got her a year ago...and took apart ALL the connections and used a lube on them...followed by taking out all the blubs..cleaned and also lubed them has well....Why? because of the peace of mind..knowing that i should have no future problems these Jags have a lot on Connections..where just Dirt and Engine Grime can find it's way....And of course the bad days to where i must drive in the rain I never go thru a car wash !!

Just one more note: when replacing the Bulbs Get The Right Ones....I find that my local auto parts does not carry them...they tell me they will work but trust me they won't.. i got mind from a Jaguar Special Shop... my problems are solved..

Sorry for the Ramble.....But do Check the SLS...Minerial Oil is rather hard and expensive to come buy..

Good Luck...enjoy your Jaguar they are a lot of Fun....and Just Great Cars...Jaguars middle name is Maintenance....That is the Key to Happy Motoring..

Cheers Don...

Last edited by DL Don; 05-25-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default '89 Electrical Issues

Devon,

I also have an '89 XJ6, here are some things I have done to simplify my life....

Mineral Oil issues.....

If you do have the SLS system, get rid of it. Convert to traditional air shocks, there are kits available. The SLS system is expensive to maintain and is a constant source of aggravation. I replaced mine in '99, zero issues since.

In addition, if you have the original brake system, it too depends on the mineral oil as a contingency system. Get rid of that too. I had mine converted to traditional brake system about eight years ago and have not had a single issue since, other than maintenance. Contact me about where to get the components for the conversion. I converted mine in '06, zero issues with it since.

If you do convert these systems, remember to jump out the the connectors on each system so you don't have false readings showing up on your vehicle monitor display. Keep in mind, converting these systems assists with having low maintenance expense with your car. If you're set on keeping all original components, then prepare to have lots of mineral oil on hand and frequent repairs to the SLS and Brake system.

Lighting......

As advised by other posts, dig out the BFM's and open them up. You indicated repairing the instrument cluster didn't bother you, then opening and repairing the BFM's is not a big deal. You'll find they have the same issues as the instrument cluster... bad solder points...that's it. I would suggest you do purchase a spare for the front and back, open them and repair if necessary.

In addition, the boot (trunk) is prone to water invasion from a variety of points. The moisture has no where to escape, thus heavy condensation in the boot causes many of the electrical components to corrode. When you open the BFM's you will most likely find this corrosion present.

Do yourself a huge favor, if there has been moisture in the boot, find the source of the intrusion. Most likely suspect points are the antenna grommet, fuel filler latch box grommet, rear tail light assembly(s), rear window seal and the plastic trim piece (found between the tail light assembly's, has four set screws keeping it in place). The trim piece needs to be removed, cleaned and set back down with a bead of silicone along the full perimeter of the piece and in the holes for the set screws.

I have rarely had to replace fuses. It's usually a wear and tear issues and relatively simple to fix, or swap out a placement.

You'll spend more time extracting and replacing the instrument cluster than you will actually repairing it. Repaired mine about three years ago (solder points and they are obvious once you open the unit) and no problems since.

Things to look forward to....

Door handles and passive restraint system.... but you will fall in love with the car. I have never had a major repair issue with the engine or transmission, mainly due to being methodical with maintenance care.

Way more than you asked for, but I do hope it helps to some degree.

Take care.

The following users liked this post:
88van-den-plas (06-03-2012)